What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

Joy Formidable, "Whirring" through Paulstretch, x8.04 -- all 39 minutes of it.

I tried putting Shape of Despair through it, but it sounded the same.

I am from this moment forward playing all my tracks through paulstretch. Sure, it might take me 6 hours to listen to a 45 minute album, but it's better than 'ludes, man. Guaranteed to have a lower heart-rate by the time it's done. And lower blood pressure.

Why do you do this?
Because it's the best thing that has ever happened to me since ... well, since the last best thing that has ever happened to me. I mean, really, Greatest Meme Evar.

Also, not entirely honest -- I have yet to get through an entire album paulstretched -- I only got through "God Bird Change" and most of the title track of Electric Rendez-Vous, and "Slow" and "Chocolate" from Kylie, but I could tell the entire album would have worked in both cases.

It's interesting what doesn't work: "Blue Monday" really didn't work -- the fast drum beats just turned into this long noise, and I think anything with too much obvious simple repetition doesn't work. "Autobahn" didn't work. Killing Joke's "Change" didn't work. On the other hand, Nitzer Ebb, "Fun to be Had" and "Getting Closer" both worked surprisingly well.

NP: Alison Moyet, "All Cried Out", paulstretched

Also, I haven't gotten laid in way too long, so not so much "bored" as "restless".

The Cars new album "Move Like This" which will be released officially this Tuesday. It's been available for online streaming for several days. You can listen here.

This is their first album in 24 years, and of course Ben Orr's vocals are missed badly. Ric sings lead on all songs, and as he's admitted himself, were Ben still alive, he probably would have sung half of them. Blue Tip, Sad Song, Free, Hit Me and parts of other songs have elements of classis Cars sound we knew and loved in the late 70s. Most of the rest of the album is passable but sounds more like a Ric Osasek solo album; not quite the snappy pace I would have preferred, but hey, not too shabby after 24 years!

Edited by Wmcmanus