What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

6 hours ago, Torpedo said:

In spite his persona lost part of my consideration, I still like his musicianship

512x512bb.jpg

Aging is tough, but it's a nice set of tunes. I didn't know the song titling the album is giving its proceedings to the starving children in Gaza. https://album.link/i/1737901577. It's available on Qobuz too.

I completely understand. However, for myself I just can't listen to his music anymore. Whenever I do I just get mad at how big an asshole he is. The same goes for Van Morrison. 

• Like 3

The older I get, the more I refuse to support anyone pushing a message that threatens my way of life.

I will no longer watch Wheel of Fortune because of Pat Sajak's MAGA leanings.

Though it seems tonight is his last show at any rate.

Does my one man boycott make a difference? Maybe, maybe not, but I sleep better.

Edited by swt61
  • Like 1

Shostakovich: Symphony No. 13 - Part: De profundis

Shostakovich: Symphony No. 13 - Part: De profundis
by Estonian National Male Choir (2024)

https://album.link/i/1733353649

https://open.qobuz.com/album/q8ujtzimaqpca -- I probably won't keep up this double posting, if it is me it is on Qobuz..

Example:

Good Chandos recording and performance. It only really suffers from the fact that I don't really treat this as a 'symphony', it is much more of a choral work for me. When I want Shostakovich symphony I turn to the 8th or the 5th. This one I have to be in the mood for the choir. 

I know that there is controversy around this work, and I don't know if this is the censored or uncensored version, I don't speak the language. But it is an epic piece. 

• Like 1

Mozart: Violin Concertos, Vol. 2

Mozart: Violin Concertos, Vol. 2
by Francesca Dego (2022)

https://album.link/i/1635576309

Example:

Chandos kind of day... 

I have never been one to really go in for Mozart's super early Concertos, but here, contrasting the 1st and 2nd with the 5th really shows the growth factor, and I feel that the 5th shows him coming on-line as a composer. This version of the Allegro aperto I really liked. Sir Roger and the Scottish I feel give a great platform for Francesca to shine. A touch slow? yeah, but lovely expression. 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2024 at 5:56 PM, skullguise said:

Nice stuff....!  Did this all start with Frippertronics?  I need to go back and listen to some of that stuff....

Frippertronics, Pink Floyd's Money loop, pretty much anyone with the brains and the creativity was drawn to looping, it seemed ... I had a friend (Mikroknytes) who had 3 other friends, and they each had a send to the next person in the square, and would effect (radically) the signal given to them, then pass it along.  It was a brilliant performance.

In fact, I was just listening to this track:

...and heard a very familiar sound in the background of the early part of the track -- someone was playing a Roland Space Echo on infinite loop.

Have been playing around with amp boards, this time a pair of mono TPA3116D2 boards, driven by one of my pi-based streamer/DAC's. A little bright sounding, but I put this on and just remembered how great it is. Hannah Reid's voice is just so passionate!  Recorded pretty well, too....

lgiyw.jpg

• Like 4