The Great Dac search

granodemostasa

I bought my apogee for it's usb input :). More specifically, I bought it because it would take a digital input, and send that signal to the computer via the usb. But I wouldn't have gotten it if it didn't sound good. I love multitasking boxes.

Does the apogee have analog inputs, like for needledrops?

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My DAC has twice as much stuff (balanced vs. single ended). Otherwise, as far as the DAC is concerned I believe that they are identical (MAX DAC architecture). Of course the power supply that feeds mine is overkill to a degree that is laughable, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Thanks Nate.

How would balanced figure in if you used the optical connection?

I forgot from the meet, but do you have two of those boards stacked one on top of the other?

How would balanced figure in if you used the optical connection?
The balanced MAX creates a differential signal regardless of digital input (coax, usb, or optical).

I forgot from the meet, but do you have two of those boards stacked one on top of the other?

Nope, that's the entire balanced MAX DAC module right there. Quite the technological achievement to get it on that small a space really.

You and me both. The best digital I ever owned used one of the PrimaSE dacs with Sony SCD-1 as transport and Siltech digital cable. I ran them both balanced and could use the SCD-1 for SACD and the AA for redbook.(which I preffered over SACD alot of the time.)

I suppose I'll console myself since it's not the SE...and I really need the audio moneys for speakers :P

I just picked up the new Headroom Ultra Microdac on top of my PPAv2, which is the pretty much the same as the MAX that n_maher has, except its single ended. I will say it sounds fantastic.

I'll get better pics up soon.

BTW, this is my first post. I'm a head-fi refugee looking for a new home =D

ultradac.jpg

haha, are you guys making fun of my new ultra microdac? It really does sound pretty good...

From the start I took hf with a grain of salt. I didn't trust much of what they gave for advice, thankfully. Otherwise I would have wasted a lot more money than I did. I'll admit I did make a couple stupid purchases from advice I got there - the monica 2 has been pretty hit or miss. It sounds good but I should have spent the money on something else. That and the alien dac.

The Ultra microdac blows those away, and the home ac module for a headroom desktop amp my friend has.

I am very happy with the PPAv2 w/ STEPS misterX built for me though. It has nice opa627's and good botique caps. My HD650 buy seems to be a good one too.

Yeah, so overall I think I survived head-fi without doing something very stupid, like buying a $800 power cord or ics.

This community looks a lot more, uh... rational? than head-fi. I'm glad I found it!