"Budget" tequila for party margaritas

shellylh

@beefy and n3rdling: disappointing about the mescal. I think it's a lot like tequila. Bad stuff = taste bad, good stuff= taste good. I had a mescal cocktail, can't remember what it was now, but it was at a pretty good restaurant. And boy, was it good! Then I saw some mescal in a fine liquor place online, Caddell-Williams, and now I'm intrigued. But it would be nice to hear from someone with some real knowledge and experience.

@Shelly: looking forward to the results! In the name of science, of course! :)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I go dirt cheap with Sauza Gold for the tequila, and spend a bit more by using Cointreau instead of Triple Sec...

Triple Sec is triple dreck. No comparison to the wonder of Cointreau.

As for tequila, try Patron Silver if you run out of your current purchase.

Shelly (or anyone else),

What's the recipe that you're using? I've been searching for a good, simple, non-mix-based margarita for a while now. I know, I know, a good one probably has 3 or 4 ingredients total but a known good ratio would be nice for the lazy among us.

I have been using:

3/2 oz tequila

1/2 oz Cointreau or orange liqueur of choice

3/4 oz lime

A small amount (one "squirt") of agave syrup (depends on how sweet you like it, sometimes I put more or less depending on how tart the lime is), I usually don't measure but I should - some leave this out or use simple syrup

add a 2 ice cubes and shake or stir

For cheap tequila I typically use 3 ounces tequila, 1.5 ounces Cointreau, 1 ounce lime juice. Over ice, no salt.

With better tequila, I drop the Cointreau to 1 ounce.

[EDIT] Shit, now I'm thirsty :blink:

Edited by Beefy

^This may be a better recipe; without the extra lime (3:1 tequila to lime ratio) instead of a 3:2ratio, I probably wouldn't need to add the agave syrup. But I do like the extra lime bite and the bit of sweetness from the agave syrup.

Definitely *no salt*

Edited by shellylh

I'm a bit late but for mezcal, I recommend either the Del Maguey line of single village mezcals or Ilegal mezcal. I personally prefer the Del Maguey Chichicapa if you can find it. Ignore the "Crema de mezcal", it's got agave syrup added and is more like a liqueur, too sweet. The Scorpion line of mezcal is cheap shit, used best for getting the lawnmower going or starting a grill.

Simplest and purest recipe with good tequila is 1.5-2.0 oz tequila, .75 oz lime juice, and .50-.75 oz agave syrup or simple syrup 2:1 sugar water). Here are some other options varying sugars and using Cointreau as the main sweetener. All are good.

Gary Regans' Margarita Recipe

1½ oz Tequila

1 oz Cointreau

½ oz Lime Juice

Dale Degroff's Margarita Recipe

1½ oz Tequila

1 oz Cointreau

¾ oz Lime Juice

¼-½ Simple Syrup

Triple Sec is triple dreck. No comparison to the wonder of Cointreau.

As for tequila, try Patron Silver if you run out of your current purchase.

This post is fail.

This is like saying facial tissue blows, try Kleenex. Oh, try Tampax next time.

I do equal parts, no sugar.

Edited by luvdunhill

Well, Brian did say he was quite nearly drunk last night so he should get some slack. The funniest part is that Cointreau actually IS a triple sec. They don't advertise it that way to heighten its mystique but it is a triple sec. The awful, sweet dreck that is called triple sec in those plastic jugs is indeed worthless. But try a bottle of Combier triple sec -- allegedly the original, and a variation on Curaçao, another branch of the orange liqueur tree along with brandy-based orange liqueurs -- and you will see that you are wrong to damn the whole style altogether.

This is the recipe we use. Shaken with ice and strained. It's the one listed in Rick Bayless's cookbook.

The thing with equal parts is you really need a reposado tequila, blanco doesn't quite work here.

:popcorn: on the Shrub ...

The other thing is choosing limes. I get the least firm ones I can find. Then I roll them around on the counter with the palm of my hand for 10 seconds before I cut them. This is the proper ritual, please heed.

Edited by luvdunhill