In severe need of new headphones (budget 100$/150$)

Jaster

Hello there,

My old headphones (Gamecom Plantronics 367) just broke after about a year of usage and they vere amazing considering the price (25£ with postage), but now I need some new ones.

I have a budget of about 100£ in total, since I'm a student so money is hard to come by (I'm gonna have to go without lunch for about a month to afford this, but it's worth it.. I haven't had music in months)

So my question is, what should I get?

Here are my priorities in order:

#1 sound quality. If I can get some with better sound than the Gamecom ones I had, I will be in heaven.

#2 durability. I really want them to not.. you know.. break easily. I bring my headphones with me at almost all times, so they should be able to handle some wear and tear

#3 Value. Getting more for less is always nice, my old headphones were absolutely SUPERB value

#4 Size. I have a thing for massive headphones.. there's just something so amazing about big headphones

#5 Microphone. My old headphones had a microphone because I used to be a gamer, but since I moved I don't have anything to play on, so this is a very low priority and just a convenience for if I ever want to record some songs. (but I think I'd buy a separate microphone in that case)

My main genre is Metalcore (I've heard something about headphones can be better for different genres) and bass/thump/punch is my fetish.

All suggestions are more than greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Jaster

Really. Go to head-fi, more specifically http://www.head-fi.o...hones-full-size, and ask there. Some inane little twat should be able to give you some useful advice there.

Really. You'll thank me for that later.

Oh yeah... you should have gotten a PM when you joined here. I'd read it if I were you.

I already went there, no response on 2 separate topics even after bumping 1 >_< they seem to be majorly stuck-up twits most of them

I did get it and read it - still, I deemed this thread "bar-friendly" as in, it's something I would be able to go into a bar of music lovers and get a rather good response to. Suppose it does differ, depending which bar though

Look, you seem to be a reasonable person. I'll be honest with you. Guess I am feeling nice. Nobody here knows anything about the Gamemaster whatever they are and nobody cares. The only headphones that I would get for under $150 would be the Etymotic ER4P if you can find them that cheap, or Sennheiser PX100ish sort of thing. I am guessing that you will probably be disappointed with any serious recommendations you get here so you should probably just ignore this.

In the vane of Shelly, here's some advice. You want big, decent, blah blah blah... Check out some used Shure 840s. I'm not sure if you can get them where you're at within your budget new, but that will probably be a big step up from what you are after. If you're needing new, take a step down in quality and go with 440s. The PX100s she recommended are very good for the $$$, and well under your price ceiling, but they're lightweight portable cans that are open... not really what you're looking

FWIW, this is usually more friendly of a bar if you bring a bottle of whisk(e)y older than you are... just some helpful advice.

**BRENT**

Oh yeah, just like on HF, I recommended cans I've never heard (840s and 440s). I own PX100s, though.

really? thaaat's nice.. I realize that I'm new to the community and that it's not a completely serious community exactly, but.. really?

Jaster - I'm not a nice person like the others here. My advice is this: do what MexicanDragon said.

Edited by CherryBomb

In the vane of Shelly, here's some advice. You want big, decent, blah blah blah... Check out some used Shure 840s. I'm not sure if you can get them where you're at within your budget new, but that will probably be a big step up from what you are after. If you're needing new, take a step down in quality and go with 440s. The PX100s she recommended are very good for the $$$, and well under your price ceiling, but they're lightweight portable cans that are open... not really what you're looking

FWIW, this is usually more friendly of a bar if you bring a bottle of whisk(e)y older than you are... just some helpful advice.

**BRENT**

Oh yeah, just like on HF, I recommended cans I've never heard (840s and 440s). I own PX100s, though.

I made a vow at RMAF to be nicer to newbs, so here goes. I agree with El Dragon Mexicano--the SRH 840 is an excellent headphone for the OP. Good sound, comfortable, bulletproof. My son used them for a while and they emerged unscathed. The Senn HD 25-1 would also merit a look.

Now, OP, bring me some wine!

Must be something in the air, because I'm also feeling nice. If you want good value for money, buy something second-hand from a trusted seller on head-fi. I don't quite know why you'd want something big if you want them also to be portable and durable. I'd suggest something mid-sized and closed like the Senn HD-25, which I heard a few weeks ago and quite liked. If you want something big, save your pence and make it a really good home headphone. Really though, the most important advice I can offer you is that metalcore sucks.

But don't listen to us. My first headphone purchase turned out to be a big mistake because I listened to a bunch of advice on head-fi instead of listening to a whole bunch of headphones in a store to decide what worked for me.