Everything posted by Voltron
-
Sennheiser 800: Time to go balanced. Options.
I wasn't sure of the connector on the GS-X, and you can have it re-terminated into 2 x 3-pin XLRs if you want the most straight-forward option. But I still like the convenience of the 4-pin XLR as the termination, and then use adapters as needed for whatever amp you have at the time. I have pretty much any kind of connector covered with various adapters, some going in each direction (M to F and F to M, etc). It is still too bad that Headroom went with the 2 x 3-pin as standard for their early balanced amps, when they could easily have chosen 4-pin and made all of our lives easier.
-
Sennheiser 800: Time to go balanced. Options.
But this is the whole reason why people have suggested that you get the stock cable re-terminated with a balanced 4-pin connector. Whoever does it for you can cut off a few inches at the end and turn the current 1/4" plug into an adapter. If it will get you over the top, I will send you mine and you can compare.
-
Reviving an old FOTM...the CD-E5
Was that the good Dr.AW who was obsessed with the mighty Bada?
-
Post the last thing you bought!
Fantastic looking Cicadas Jim! If you don't have spikes for them, I bought some rubber cone feet from Craig for really cheap. They are the ones he uses on the Zana and have the same thread size. I like the sound with them more than without them.
-
The ultimate DIY? A Stax SRM-T2!
I could sell somebody my spare board set for whatever I paid Kevin so as to not let the chassis go unused.
-
What are you listening to Part Two
Jazz in the afternoon:
-
Best Bluetooth Headset?
Thanks Scott, but she got the ETY.com and likes it a lot so far. She only wants one ear piece for some reason, and she liked the sound and the mic quality. Thanks for the recco, Dan.
-
What are you listening to Part Two
With one work listen, I liked it. It seems more like Regina Spektor than I remember her last one.
-
What are you listening to Part Two
Sara Bareilles -- Kaleidoscope Heart
- What did you do today?
-
2010 RMAF/CJ@RMAF
Dan, it is JP who is considering mics, not me.
-
What are you listening to Part Two
She and the band are really awesome in concert, if you ever get the chance. I know her recordings are audiophile cliche at this point but they still sound great. Especially when drinking good cognac, no?!
-
What did you do today?
I just shook a couple of Scofflaws and did not cry out in pain. My wrist is still swollen enough that I should deal with it soon, but I am already seeing one doctor this week for a lame skin thing. That will equal my tri-annual average for doctor visits, so it may take me awhile. After those two drinks, I am not feeling much pain anyway, so who cares....
-
Why do so few DACs support 88.2 and/or 176.4 kHz?
Kind Al's Loaner Service is still in effect if you want to re-ignite your DAC desires. Just let me know and it will be boxed and sent.
-
How high can the JH13 scale?
Although people have paired small portable amps with home gear, I wouldn't recommend it unless you want your amp to serve double duty. I think a Pico Slim or the TTVJ Slim would be good options if you need that, but I would suggest a home amp if you are not planning to double up. If you are a Mac person then you should consider the Amarra 302 (Metric Halo ULN-2) or whatever it is called because it is a DAC and an amp and you could run your JH13s right from there.
-
2010 RMAF/CJ@RMAF
Been meaning to post this to you and the rest of our Jewish brethren: Wishing You a Happy 5771! Shana Tova T’Chateivu V’Techataimu!
- 2010 RMAF/CJ@RMAF
-
What are you listening to Part Two
Interpol -- Interpol (4)
-
What did you do today?
May it please the Court . . . and if it doesn't I will crush you. Thanks for the sympathies, all. The wrist hasn't been as bad as I expected on Monday, but I clearly have to get it looked at. I will send out word if Red Vodka is needed to forget the pain, what caused it, and why I would need Red Vodka in the first place.
-
What did you do today?
I thought Reks asked out a woman from another bowling league. I stand corrected. As for me, I spent my Labor Day at home never actually getting more than a few feet out the garage door or into the back yard. I cleared, boxed and/or discarded the detritus in and around my work bench in the garage. The amount household crap and hardware that has built up over nearly 50 years of my grandfather's and then my life in this house, and I have been in the mood to purge the junk away as we get ready for our bathroom and garage remodel. I saved the interesting and truly antique stuff, but the drapery hooks, random electrical bits, partial hardware from kitchens and baths gone by, etc., all had to go. I feel cleansed, although I was actually caked with grime and dust. I also managed to fuck up my already damaged wrist. I had bone graft surgery on my right wrist while in law school 20 years ago, and it has never been quite right or returned to full functionality. In my fervor to resolve things on the work bench, I decided to install a new lock for our side garage door that had been sitting on the bench for a couple months. I wish Nate had been around because my circle hole cutting has me in need of a doctor's visit. In the process of cutting a hole in the door with a hole saw on my drill, it locked in place and the torque of the drill twisted my arm over pretty violently until the drill hit the door jamb and I released the trigger. It is swollen and hurts like a motherfucker. I've been curious recently if medical science may have developed a better solution for me in the last 20 years so I may figure that out soon...
-
What did you do today?
Yes, yes you do need to have us over (across the country) for a BBQ. I'm down (after my trial). And the bathroom is looking great indeed.
-
2010 RMAF/CJ@RMAF
Expensive case and marketing or superior sound? Hmm, hard to figure which one to prefer...
-
I have a drinking problem...can't figure out what to drink...
Really want to get some Bitches Brew bottles. They look awesome even if they didn't taste great.
- 2010 RMAF/CJ@RMAF
-
What did you do today?
Meet Meister had clearly become Meat Meister!