Everything posted by Voltron
-
Mac Mini as Music Server
Mine was done in-store when I bought because I was impatient.
-
Mac Mini as Music Server
Ask JP if it is easy to open up and re-close a Mac Mini! It was a nightmare for him, but he was doing something more than just RAM. I had it done by Apple because their prices are a little better these days.
-
Laptops without touchpads?
And moronically flushing away kilobucks. Don't forget that either.
-
The dream DAC is going further bcos of this
I think he was commenting on your music preferences.
-
Mac Mini as Music Server
You aren't missing anything that I can think of. I have a Mac Mini as my music server, and it works great with Amarra. Jon Reichback of Sonic prefers the Mini and the Amarra website has a nice list of things you can do to maximize the performance by getting rid of stuff you don't need and turning shit off. Max out the RAM and processor for sure. What is the deal with Rowmote? The Remote program on the iPhone works fine but I am not sure what Rowmote is. Streaming elsewhere is apparently possible, but probably not the actual Amarra output. Check Computer Audiophile for info on that in one or more of the Amarra threads. Enjoy!
-
Happy Belated Birthday Penger!
Hope you had a good one, and sorry for the delay in well-wishing you. Cheers!
-
What are you listening to Part Two
Rhapsody has cover art, so those are easy to pull up. For other stuff, I just do the same as Nate with Google Images and it usually works. Not hard except for obscure stuff. Now playing: Al Cohn -- Play It Now
-
What are you listening to Part Two
Jim Hall & Enrico Pieranunzi -- Duologues
-
Your recent music purchases
I have been dawdling on these -- especially because of the other two series I am in for the Blue Notes -- but I have contacted AS to see about signing up. I asked about where they were pressed when I emailed Heather. At least one knowledgeable SH Forums guy with the first three titles thinks they were pressed at Pallas. From talking with Steve Hoffman previously, it seemed that he had worked on the first 7-8 titles and of the first 12 sides, 10 had his initials in the dead wax along with Kevin Gray's. That would seem to confirm he was involved to an extent, although KG will do a great job solo as well.
-
Amarra "Mini" -- $395
Cool. He posts on CA and seems like a decent dude.
-
Post the last thing you bought!
Hey, that's mean!
-
Your recent music purchases
LPs: Joshua Redman -- Moodswing (Nonesuch 180gm double LP re-release) Horace Silver -- Further Explorations (Classic 200gm mono LP) Count Basie & Tony Bennett -- Basie Swings and Bennett Sings (Classic 200gm LP) The Bad Plus with Wendy Lewis -- For All I Care (HeadsUp 180gm LP) Donald Byrd -- Byrd In Hand (Classic 200gm LP) HD Tracks Downloads: The Kinks -- Muswell Hillbillies (24/96) Jimmie Lee Robinson -- All My Life (24/88.2) Keith Jarrett -- Paris/London: Testament (24/96) Jimmy Cobb -- Cobbs Corner (24/96)
-
What are you listening to Part Two
Did you ever get any of the Kinks in hi-rez, Dusty?
-
What are you listening to Part Two
Nice! I have 3 or 4 of the Kinks on HDTracks 24/96 and they all sound pretty great. DL'ing was much smoother this last time than my previous HDT purchases. Not sure if my end or theirs, but I was happy. An odd mix of listening so far today: Flaming Lips -- Embryonic Terry Reid -- The River Julie London -- Julie Is Her Name [Todd says the new 45rpm release of vol. 1 is teh awsum, so I was checking it out.] And now playing: Lyle Lovett --Natural Forces
-
Happy Minimal Birthday Boomana!
Have a royally good time today Queen V! Cheers!
-
Amarra "Mini" -- $395
That is it, and the pic is a little bulkier than life-size. There is a short cable extension, so you can have a flaccid dongle hanging rather than the stiff dongle extending. Also, in answer to the questions earlier about Apple Lossless support, the upcoming version 1.1 will support ALAC and some people have early versions of it already. Within the month is my understanding of the formal release.
-
What are you listening to Part Two
Jimmy Cobb, et al -- Cobb's Corner [24/96 download from HD Tracks]
-
Amarra "Mini" -- $395
I will add to your stocks one of these days...
-
Amarra "Mini" -- $395
I'm still totally sold on Amarra and think it is well worth the money so shoot me. The ease of use for listening to any sample rate is awesome and the sound is quite noticeably improved on a good system. I cannot wait for the needle-drop solution to be more integrated but right now I have some serious Sonic Studio software in tandem and recording is a breeze. I just have to figure out chopping up the tracks and I will be in business. I have had plenty of help from Sonic and others, but I cannot seem to lock the process into my brain (and failed to take proper notes). And Greg, if you are buying you should contact Meier Shadi at the Beverly Hills audio shop (on Amarra website). He was at CanJam and is a really good guy. SS would point you to him in any event, as I understand it.
-
What are you listening to Part Two
The Kinks -- Muswell Hillbillies 24/96 download from HD Tracks
-
slow forum
Every time that guy goes down, he ends up like a bug stuck on its back!
-
Antelope Audio DACS
Does Dan Lavry say that 192 is too high or that higher rates are not good?
-
What are you listening to Part Two
Walton, Carter & DeJohnette
-
What did you do today?
Fucking fuck. That sucks.
-
What are you listening to Part Two
And you will know us by the trail of dead -- Rhapsody Rocks Austin 2009 The Avett Brothers -- Rhapsody Originals