HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Yay, Nate.

I'm still doing stuff on the computrainer, but last week's sinus infection interfered.  I'm in bed already, planning on 6AM tomorrow.  Mom's leaving town this week, so I should be freed up to do more weekend riding.  Liking physical therapy.  Don't know how it' going to affect anything for real, but I'm getting short-term results (is looser when I walk out of the office), and I'll take 'em.

Ouch, feel better soon pigmode.

Rode my usual 15 mile route 3 times last week with progressively better paces. Yesterday was tough with stiff winds all throughout but I still managed to match a PR. It's warm enough with light late enough for me to pile on more miles after work which makes me really happy.

Edited by raffy

Sorry, pigmode. That sounds horrible!

Those of you who ride steel may get a kick out of a Pro who races on steel by choice:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/rapha-condor-jlt-steel-and-carbon-racing-bikes-gallery

Nice!

I've been doing well on the Computrainer with low-key stuff, so I tried some higher grade hills this morning.  I got to 7.0, and my ankle wasn't having it at all.  I could feel it puffing up like a blow fish while I was pedaling.  Stopped after a very short time.  Sucks.  I don't know how I'm going to get my legs back in shape if I keep having to stop as soon as they start working.

Vicky, 7% is pretty steep. I'd keep working at 3-5% for a long time and that will gradually build up strength. It's going to take time but my recommendation is the go at the lower steepness and as the time wears on you'll end up working hard too but with a lot less stress on your joints.

Edited by Dreadhead
  • Like 1

Pigmode, hope your back mends quickly.

Vicki, take it easy as Chris said. Give it some time before you work up to steeper climbing.

Me: Bought a Campy Racing T crankset and Centaur BB (not pictured). Will use these on the Raleigh late summer for something I don't know that I can climb in a 43-24.

P1000973_zps1d34ab64.jpg

The weather seems to be turning up here with daytime temps now getting into the mid 40s and snow disappearing at an alarmingly outstanding rate (other than the ski tickets I still have to use).  I've tentatively got a ride planned with a friend this Sunday and will hopefully get in 30 or 40. 

And V, 7% is a very steep hill to ride in the prolonged sense.  Some of the worst climbs I rode last year were of that magnitude and it's not something I would want to train on.  I think you can get plenty strong riding longer, shallower pitches and as Chris said put much less stress on your joints.

I agree with you guys, but it was a group activity so I didn't get to choose the grade.  They got steeper, but I was already off the bike by then.  I did fairly well on the warm up, which was milder hills.

What's interesting is after all the prescription anti-inflammatories I've tried, Kirkland Naproxen works best.  I was feeling good by this afternoon, though I had decreased mobility by physical therapy time. My physical therapist, who is also a cyclist, recommends I get a granny gear.  Not a bad idea.

I'm taking mom to the airport at some ungodly hour tomorrow, but I should have my weekends free to get in some rides.  At least I live in the flatlands, so shouldn't be a problem.