HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

^^Mud is fun, but not from that angle!

Went for a ride this morning.  Since I put the new shorter stem on, I am much more comfortable.  I'm still waiting for the new saddle, hopefully this week sometime.  I did notice that my fingers go numb now if I don't move my hands around a lot.  Any way to stop that?  I ride with gloves but I need to get some new ones since I've had these for couple of years.  Can changing the angle of the bars and moving the hoods around make much difference?  I'm now to the micro adjustment stage of getting the bike set up and this is the biggest issue left.

I would assume moving the bar and changing hood angles may possible affect hand numbness as that can affect how much weight you put on your hands. Also, I'm not sure how true this is but I've read a fitter's blog somewhere that one of the main culprits of hand numbness may be because people are running bars that are a little bit too wide than they should be. I'm not saying it's the culprit here but something to consider.

How is you saddle set up?  fore/aft as well as tilt and height will affect the amount of weight that get's placed on your hands.  Do you find that you tend to slide into the bars over time?  I've found that saddle position can have a pretty profound effect not only on pedaling/power production but also upper body issues as well.

medium is the smallest for that model.  they say its for 5'5" and up and i'm also 5'8"

so i just realized that the rental I had that I thought was too big..i'm pretty sure it had a Fox fork which would have been 120mm of travel

the one i demo'd last weekend that felt more comfortable had a Rock Shox 100mm fork.  could that have been the difference?

2 cm isn't a big difference, but it could have contributed; I have no idea what that extra travel translates to in head tube angle. I think the LT's I have ridden were 150 up front, but I just realized the frame geometries on those are different from the regular TB's and head angle is 1.5 degrees slacker so my previous post probably doesn't apply to anything :palm:

Usually when I've found bikes to not fit me it's top tube length and seat tube length that are the big contributors.

If it was the fork travel issue (other thing I can think of is stem length), 120 forks can be dropped down to 100.

Love the mud ...

PDXK-MuddyCyclocrossCrusadeRace7408.mp4.

How is you saddle set up?  fore/aft as well as tilt and height will affect the amount of weight that get's placed on your hands.  Do you find that you tend to slide into the bars over time?  I've found that saddle position can have a pretty profound effect not only on pedaling/power production but also upper body issues as well.

I did move the seat back about 1cm since my last ride.  I will put it back in its old position and try it again on tomorrows ride.  I'm also considering what MisterX said and getting a stem with more angle to lift the bars a little.  The length of the one I bought made my riding position much more comfortable.  Maybe rasing it up a bit will make it a little better.   

for the trails around here, a hardtail would be fine i'm sure.  but i think i have learned by now, don't buy without trying.  i probably needed 2 or 3 more demos and rentals, but i found what I thought was a fair deal on something I knew I liked so i went for it

Does anyone else find it funny that Justin went from taking his training wheels off to getting a Tallboy in 30 days... but Deepak has been on the verge of buying a bike from this century for what, a year now?

**BRENT**

Actually if you count the pre-HV bike thread, more like 5 or 6 years :police:

Justin the VPP suspension is really good for light trail riding, it's pretty stiff under normal pedaling without any bumps

• Like 1