HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Nice rides Chris and Bryant!

Me - just got back from my 25 mile loop.  Windy and pretty cool, but a good pace ride.  Didn't want to push too hard since the plan is to ride into work again tomorrow and I need to be better at working back up to speed.

Edit - definitely in a for a jersey and it'd be sweet if Ed could be bribed into cooking something up.  Wouldn't mind spending a bit more to get a decent piece as well, $30 seems, well a bit too cheap?

Well, I'm in for something, and maybe someone knows where to get better stuff.  I saw some US made stuff (Voler and Hincapie) that runs around 65-85 each piece (in quantity). I don't know the rates, but Primal does some custom stuff too, and I'm sure it's decent quality. The club here uses Hincapie. Looks like solid kit, with a horrible design.  Looks like they got the member price down to around 50-60$/piece, though.

**BRENT**

http://www.apgmwr.com/resources/events/Bicycle%20safety.pdf

There you go, Dan.

"In addition, when riding on APG, utilize a brightly reflective belt worn diagonally over the right shoulder and down under the left arm or an orange/green/yellow vest must be worn both day and night for visibility. 

If a back pack is worn a reflective vest or belt will be placed around it."

I'm not sure "just the jersey having a large yellow stripe" on it would suffice, anyways.

**BRENT**

Rode into work again this morning.  It was 28F out according to the thermometer at the house and the Garmin confirmed that it was effing cold with an average temp for the ride of 35F.  Where is spring?  The ride home was better at 52F but much more windy.  Still a good day of riding and I'm so far ahead of both mileage and pace compared to last year that I really should shut up.

It went right past spring and into damn hot here.  The Garmin said 104 at the end of yesterdays ride.  Average was 98.3. 

Rest day for me today.  I'm looking at a new set of wheels.  I've had to true mine a couple of times now and the rear is out of round with a distinct low spot that I cannot get out.  And my two unintentional off-road excursions yesterday did not help matters any.  looking for something bullet proof for a fat guy.  Enve and Madfiber both have no weight limit wheels but I cannot justify the price of those to the wife.  Easton EA90SL wheels seem to be a popular choice, as well as Velocity Deep V's.  Anyone have a good choice.

For custom builds Peter White seems to be a favorite in the Clydesdale section on bikeforums.  His prices look to be pretty reasonable as well.  I've seen a few others to but Peter's name comes up in almost ever "I need a strong wheel" thread.

I'm also looking for some pedals that I can really hammer on and nor worry about.  The Look Keo classics that I have are rated for a much lighter weight than I would like.  I did not realize it when I bought them.  I don't stand to ride so I'm not putting a whole lot into them right now but that will change soon enough.  Any suggestions are welcome. 

Thanks again for the encouragement guys, I really do appreciate it.  AS a side effect of me riding my boss has started walking daily.  He is a little bigger than I am but weighs less (that whole fat/muscle ratio thing) and he seems to be doing pretty well.  Every time I start to exercise he is usually not far behind.  It's good for both of us.

For the ultimate in bombproof wheels, these are what a lot of the pros use for the cobbled classics: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=BUY_PRODUCT_STANDARD&PRODUCT.ID=36042&MODE= Not practical in your usage being tubulars but they are awesome. I should not have looked them up because I want a set again.

I wouldn't worry about the Look Keos failing. I weighed 270+ when I started riding on mine (including some limited standing etc) and I've never had any issue. I rode them for a long time in the 240-260 range before I got serious about loosing weight too.

I'm thinking of signing up for a very hard day on the bike this fall: http://alpineloopgranfondo.com/

Edited by Dreadhead

If those were clinchers I would be all over them.  The price is right in my ballpark too.

Thanks for the info on the pedals.  That make me feel a little better about them now.

That ride looks like it would be amazing if your legs can take it.  11,000 ft and 104 miles would be insane. 

When I got back into riding a few years ago I built up a set of wheels with Mavic open pro rims and Ultegra hubs 32 hole 3 cross and they're very rugged.  One of the things that really helps with wheel durability over and above quality components and builder is to use a bigger tire.  I run 25's on everything right now but am thinking of going with some 28's for some of the gravel roads we've got in my part of the world.

I've been riding my Mad Fibers Tubulars for the last couple weeks and I even went through the flat experience with using Hutchinson Fast'Air which sealed them right up (even after I used it wrong). I haven't even bothered to replace the tubular...

Still don't recommend tubulars as training wheels but it does make those temping. I have a friend that rides a similar wheelest that he built himself and I don't think he has had any issues.

I'm probably going to buy a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elites sometime soon for my crappy old Trek 1200 commuter bike, I'm riding it out of work and I can't deal with the crappy no-name (yes litterally unlabeled) wheels on it. The wheels will be worth more than the bike but I don't want to replace the bike and it still works fine.

As far as that granfondo goes I'm tempted but I need to talk to my wife. I like the fact I can cut it down to the 75mile route if I need to.

I have 28 tires on the DeSalvo and 32 spoke Chris King hubs and while heavy these wheels seem bomb proof.

I also have Chris Kings on the MTB that Brent's friend made for me that are fantastic and he does it for a very reasonable price and quickly.

I assume your bike came with 24 spoke wheels which are going to be tough to keep round with someone over 300 pounds.

• Like 1