HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Brent ,

I did not realize that you had back issues.  Knowing that, now I would say go with what Nate said.  Riding has helped my back issue considerably.  I still take it easy but it does not hurt anywhere near what it did before I started riding.  

Aerius,

That looks like a lot of fun.

Edited by c12mech

Vicki, you've missed my multiple raves about it in the thread already :) I bought it and all the sufferfest videos that it syncs up to.

If I could just keep my drive to work out up but work is really grinding on me these days and I haven't gotten in a workout all week and instead have been eating a lot.

Edit: I guess I only raved once:

I remember the suffefest part, but I probably didn't catch the perfpro bit since I didn't ask the name of the new software we'd been using for the past month until the other day.  It's really fun.

The Mountain bike is prepped for the season so we need to figure out when that ride is going down.

Hoping to do a road ride Sunday.  Chris, Juan, Nebby anyone looking to do a ride.  My shop mechanic might be joining in.

Well, I think I've decided to skip this road ride.  It'd be about 50 miles of driving, to pay 40$, to ride 12 miles. If I was doing the 50k, or had some people to ride with, I may would have done it, but instead I'm going to go ride in a place called the Chickamauga Battlefield, a Civil War battleground.

Maybe I'll catch the next ride... still plenty of them to do this year.

**BRENT**

I had just made up my mind to upgrade the wheels on the commuter bike to Mavic Aksium S wheels from my shop but now there is a guy selling Ksyrium SL wheels with 200 miles on them for $750.. I could upgrade my training wheels and put the Ksyrium Elites on the commuter which I have done before and felt great.

Had a pretty mellow ride with two of my "teammates" for the 3-notch ride in the fall.  Some pretty good climbs on a 24mi loop with more wind than I would have cared for but that seems to be the norm this spring.  Tomorrow's commute into work is looking like it's going to be another cold one...

Just upgraded to a carbon bar, a Deda Campione, used but in really nice condition from Paceline. More drop and slightly more reach. I was looking for the extra drop and classic bend look but I'm just a tiny bit worried about the extra 8mm reach. Some days I can see myself easily handling the extra reach, some days not.

Edited by raffy

Sounds like a good ride. Nate do you have SLs? Worth it?

It was a good ride, despite the wind (data below).  Don't panic Raf, the HR monitor went wonky about 3 miles in and showed a rather unrealistic HR for a bit.  That's the second time that has happened with the Garmin strap.  The first time I caught it quick and with minor repositioning it corrected itself instantly - hence me not being worried about the data.  I have to wonder if it isn't a result of the low temps and no sweat at the start of the ride?  Time may tell.

And yes Chris, I have the SLs although I haven't put them back on the bike yet this year.  At $750 I'm not sure I could have justified them, I paid about half that for my set which had "less than a season" on them.  They were true and in very good shape when I got them and I've seen a few other sets on Paceline in that price ballpark.  As for if they are worth it, I can't really say.  I'm pretty much a caveman on the bike and not prone to noticing differences between things.  Nate pedal.  Nate pedal hard.  That's about as technical as I get.

149793810.jpg

Thanks for the opinion Nate. You got a blazing deal on them as they are $1000+ wheels. The price you paid is about what I'm going to pay for the Aksiums. Either way the wheels will be the most expensive thing on the entire bike. The Trek 1200 was my first road bike and I think that I'll probably never sell it. I am now using it to ride from work during the week so at least it's getting used. I was just thinking this morning that it would be funny to gradually upgrade it to a new groupset (Apex I guess) and put a Enve/Easton fork on it and make it into a new machine.

Edited by Dreadhead

Yeah, I figured I scored pretty well on the wheelset but didn't know that they were quite that expensive. :eek:  If you're patient I think you could probably find a similar deal if you can stomach something a litte more used than 200 miles.  25% off for something that's barely used seems like a pretty good deal. 

If you want an Apex compact for the Trek just let me know.  I have one from when broke the big ring on my original crank that probalby has about 100 miles on it, tops. 

This morning's ride was effing cold - it was 26 when I left the house.  It took a good 3 miles to get warmed up to the point where only my fingers were the only thing pissed off and another few miles before they warmed up.  It was beautifully calm but at this point I'd really appreciate another 20 degrees or so given that it's damn near May.  If the weatherman is even half-right I'll have a nice tail wind on the way home so there's that.

That looks like it was a fun ride Nate.

I took it easy on my ride yesterday.  I made a couple of changes on the bike that were the wrong direction so I did not try to push things.  I did end up meeting a couple of riders that had stopped at the beach for a rest just like I do.  We talked for a bit and I was invited to loin there Saturday morning ride.  All the rides I have done so far have been solo efforts so it may be time to ride with some others.  I'm actually looking forward it.

Saw this over on paceline.  Not my size, which is a good thing, but it has to be one of the best descriptions ever.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parlee-Z5-SL-56-ML-Frameset-w-Enve-Fork-Rare-No-Reserve-/330911607481?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item4d0bde6ab9

Edited by c12mech

Didn't go on the Saturday morning ride of 33 miles that I had been invited to. Got up in time, but just felt wiped out so went back to bed :( Looked like they had a good time though (albeit at 34 degrees). Would have been an hour drive each way.

Did do 16 miles yesterday, which kinda wiped me out. Must be a real wuss :lol:

It was pretty windy though.

Fuuuu, why are there never 58s listed like that.

[edit]And I decided to bring the pain and rode in again this morning. Maura and the kids are coming to get me tonight (thank goodness) as my legs are shagged after 80+ miles in 3 days. While I'm not as out of shape as I was at the beginning of last year I'm also not in as good as shape as I was at the end of last year.

• Like 1

I may be a 52. 

I'm asking my GF what size the bike she has been lending me is. 

How does this bike ride? 

I'd really like something on the more supple side, and have been daydreaming of a nice steel frame.

For comparison I have been riding an Aluminum Cannondale that is a bit harsh for the road conditions in NYC.

• Like 1

52 cm Calfee Tetra for $750 on my local cl. If anyone is interested, I will be happy to check out. Seems a screaming deal if anyone can use just 52 cm size.

Calfee Tetra

Gene, I have an old college friend/current riding buddy who has been looking for a 52 Calfee. He is definitely interested if the offer extends to "friends of the family."

He was going to go for the one Vicki got, had she not. If you're game and no one else wants it, let me know.

**BRENT**

Edited by MexicanDragon

n_maher, on 23 Apr 2013 - 10:22 AM, said:

Fuuuu, why are there never 58s listed like that.

Nate, it's usually in smaller (or ladies) sizes because a guy buys a bike for his wife (not literally but figuratively) and then she loses interest. That certainly happened to me. My wife has 5k+ of bikes that have not been out of the basement in 2+years (including at least 6 months before she got pregnant). Fact is 58s will sell for a high price because there are 30 people that would want them (like yourself).

Ari, the calfee will be a lot smoother than your Aluminum Cannondale and also will steer in a less agressive manner.

Edited by Dreadhead