DIY cable gallery

Grand Enigma

Great work nate! :angel:

Hmm, evidently this cable is shielded. In fact the shield and the two largest conductors are all tied to ground at the plug. Seems like an awful lot of effort since headphone cables have never been known to pick up noise that I'm aware of.

Unfortunately I've personally had headphone cables picking up noise before though. :D

The two 18ga conductors act as another shield I guess since they aren't tied to the Senn plugs, only the 1/4" plug. Again, pretty odd construction but hey I like the way it sounds so I should really stop complaining.

They're not shielding anything, it's just extra bulk to make the cable thicker. The wire costs practically nothing for a length like that, so I suppose it's worth it to be able to charge more for the cable than they would be able to if they left it much thinner.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Nate beat em to it, but I spent a few minutes typing, so I'm posting it anyway.

quick Q that i've always been embarassed to ask about...

those RCAs connectors you're using, the centre pin looks normal, but the outside extends way out, won't this have problems with certain RCA jacks?

That is the special design of the connector. The ground part retracts into the plug. The idea is that when you go to plug in the connector, it will make a contact with ground, thereby avoiding popping noises.

So your assumptions would be correct, but the 'outside' retracts into the connector itself.

Those particular jacks use a spring loaded ground connection and when installed look and work just like any other plug. Kind of hard to explain but if you ever use one you'll see what I'm talking about.

Nate beat em to it, but I spent a few minutes typing, so I'm posting it anyway.

That is the special design of the connector. The ground part retracts into the plug. The idea is that when you go to plug in the connector, it will make a contact with ground, thereby avoiding popping noises.

So your assumptions would be correct, but the 'outside' retracts into the connector itself.

thanks guys, makes a whole lot of sense, wonder why these kinda of connectors aren't more popular.

ground first is better than signal first i think. esp those times when the centre pin touches the ground on your amp as you go to plug it in...

• 5 weeks later...

Perhaps the world's first Apogee Duet Breakout Cable

92400711.jpg

Note, there is no designation for L or R on that cable because apogee doesn't assign L or R on their freakin' pin-out diagram. There's your homework assignment, Dan.

5 Left

15 Right

My cable should have inputs too :)

5 Left

15 Right

My cable should have inputs too :)

Thanks Dan, and yes I know that your cable should have inputs as well. But I'm all out of RCA plugs and wanted to get a proof of concept put together for you to test. So that cable will be headed your way on Monday to test fit and function before I invest more $$ in the project. :)

• 2 weeks later...