DIY cable gallery

Grand Enigma

So I finally got around to using one of the sets of Cardas Senn connectors that I have last night. This cable is form my new "SUCKITALO" line of cables and uses Neotech unobtainium UP-OCC wire (22ga) braided per the OCD instructions posted by the guys at Chimera Labs. The main body of the cable is wrapped in nylon multifilament and terminated with a somewhat pedestrian Neutrik plug.

94438447.jpg

94438448.jpg

I spent about an hour listening to it last night and I have to say that it was sounding fracken great.

So I finally got around to using one of the sets of Cardas Senn connectors that I have last night. This cable is form my new "SUCKITALO" line of cables and uses Neotech unobtainium UP-OCC wire (22ga) braided per the OCD instructions posted by the guys at Chimera Labs. The main body of the cable is wrapped in nylon multifilament and terminated with a somewhat pedestrian Neutrik plug.

Looks nice Nate, how was soldering those connectors? They seem easy to melt/damage?

Looks nice Nate, how was soldering those connectors? They seem easy to melt/damage?

It went ok, typical of a first effort. I think the second time around will be much easier. I didn't experience any problems with the pins overheating or getting loose as some others have reported but I definitely cooked a little of the surrounding plastic at the solder points. Hard not to really but I think they always intended you to cover them up with shrink like I did. I also filled the cavity around the pins with hot glue to hopefully keep everything nice and stable, then applied a layer of adhesive lined shrink which laps from the cable onto the lower section of strain relief and finally wrapped the whole connector in 1/2" 3:1 non-adhesive shrink to capture the whole thing. It sure seems like it will result in a nice durable cable.

And of course thanks for the kind words.

nice cable Nate! looks nice and flexible

Looks would be slightly deceiving there, it's probably on par with my old Zu Senn cable in that regard. The insulation on this cable is very thick and with 4-strands being braided (even loosely) there's no way to end up with something that is all that flexible. But it's not aggravatingly stiff, that's for sure.

94438447.jpg

94438448.jpg

I spent about an hour listening to it last night and I have to say that it was sounding fracken great.

Looks great Nate, when should jp and I expect ours. :):doghuh:

Looks really nice. I'm baffled with how much time you have to work on these projects.

Start to finish I'd guess that cable to less than 2 hours, probably closer to an hour and a half. There wasn't anything worth watching on TV last night so I built this instead. :)

Looks great Nate, when should jp and I expect ours. :):doghuh:

I thought you already had an equally swanky Senn cable? And does nums even own Senns? Or are you talking other cables which both of you still have to get back to me with information on? I swear I've sent nums at least a couple emails about this...

That actually looks quite expensive =\

But I can see where it might not work well.

It cost almost nothing to make. I bought the frame for $15. It was in horrible repair when I bought it. I learned how to apply gold foil in the old tradition of gilding to make it look fancy and shit - but it only cost about 8 more dollars to fix it. The hook was 5 dollars and the fabric was only $4.

Also sorry for posting this in the wrong topic. I ask you to please look at my sig.

Nate come out of retirement more often than Michael Jordan and Jay-Z.

Incorrect, I specifically excluded cable making from the retirement. ;)

One more thing, this officially signals my retirement from building amps for other people. <snip> I'll still continue building cables from time to time as they are fun and easy but enough with stuff like this that takes 10hrs of friggen case work to do a decent job.

Start to finish I'd guess that cable to less than 2 hours, probably closer to an hour and a half. There wasn't anything worth watching on TV last night so I built this instead. :)I thought you already had an equally swanky Senn cable? And does nums even own Senns? Or are you talking other cables which both of you still have to get back to me with information on? I swear I've sent nums at least a couple emails about this...

Jp is completely unrealiable and doesn't deserve the to own the work of such a fine artisan as yourself (he has a wtb 650/Equinox). As to me, I do have a fine cable but is there a rule against having multiple senn replacment cables? :)

I do have to get back to you as to the length and configuration of the other cable.