The Multi Amp aka Dynalo Mk2

spritzer

nice results, I'm looking forward to building mine

Might skimp on the power supply though to get it to fit in a smaller case. Thinking about just P2P-ing the KGSSHV LV supply

If someone has the regulated krell supply I would be willing to purchase that, good size

Edited by nopants
  • Like 1

use plenty of heatsinking... 320ma on each

it should be noted that the distortion figures above

are unbalanced in, unbalanced out.

balanced out reduces the second harmonic by about 6db

resulting in a thd of less than .002%

at these levels its silly and very expensive to go any further.

singlepower squarewave into 50 ohms is .055%

(no matter what Mikhail said, never designed to drive 50 ohms)

Edited by kevin gilmore

Use their economy shipping (Mouser). I just placed a small order on Wednesday and got it today ($4.99 shipping).

BTW, mounting my multiamp on a piece of veneered plywood for now. Any recs for a fuse? I have a 2A fast blow in right now, no issues, but seems a bit high?

Edited by Pars

I found the sola equivalent of the power one supply for 18 usd on ebay, http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Sola-Hevi-Duty/SLD-12-1010-12T/?qs=Fhl5NpiNeCWhwKaPb%252bAczA%3D%3D

1.62" for those who are height conscious

Are MPSA parts still good for this? I was looking at some of the silkscreens and MPSA became MPSW at some point

Edited by nopants

I was reading some threads on diyAudio, and found this power supply: http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/50-17uv-ultralow-noise-dac-power-supply-regulator-1215v-1a.html

In +/-15V mode, it seems like it should power the Dynalo well enough. It should also be quite a bit smaller than the power one haa15 units, even factoring in the size of the transformer. (And this gives the option of using a nicer transformer that doesn't hum.)

Has anyone heard anything about diyinhk? Any thoughts on whether this PSU is any good?

Is the hum from the premade supplies a real issue?

I can hear a slight hum in a quiet room, assuming there isn't much noise coming in from open windows, nearby refrigerators, fans, or other noisemakers. Can't hear it with music playing, of course. It might bother other people less, but it bothers me just enough that if I build another one of these, I will definitely not use a Power-One unit. They are nice enough, but probably not intended for audio. I was thinking of making a Dynalo for a friend (I certainly like the amp enough to want to share), and would not feel comfortable with the result if it buzzes.

Thanks for the comments and advice, everyone. I'll look into the sigma22.

Edited by gepardcv

You can consider other things like super regulators or shunt regulators if you're that concerned. Might be interesting to see what the differences are.

Kevin gave the current draw so it's pretty easy to dial in a shunt regulator. I have Salas Boards if you're interested.

Diyaudio's store has the Super Regulator back in stock, I picked up a few boards.