Your recent music purchases

deepak

Yes, Mike, the Bay Area doesn't need more vinyl. Keep it all here in Florida. I've strangely starting buying vinyl though don't own a tt. It's like a weird force has taken over. Four albums last week alone.

Shostakovich Cello Concertos No. 1 & 2 (listening to cd wondering how it would sound on vinyl)

Bill Evans Sunday at Village Vanguard

Lee Morgan Lee-Way

NIN Ghosts

There is a nice local deal on a Nottingham Spacedeck/Acespace arm/Lyra Helicon cart for $2500. I know it's a lot of money but I think it's a pretty nice deal. The guy is in Miami. Just sell that crazy dual pc headphone amp of yours. :)

Just got back from my monthly trip to the local record shop, picked up:

Gov't Mule: Deep End Vol 1

Gov't Mule: Deep End Vol 2

The Who: Quadrophenia

Wes Montgomery Trio

Beck Mutations

The Best of Velvet Underground

All used, paid around 6-8$ each.

I went for vinyl, but found so many goodies in the used cd bin that I blew my budget there.

There was a MMW (Combustication) cd that I wanted to get, but when I saw how scratched up it was (when I got to the counter), I passed on it.

I was planning on purchasing the 2 Gov't Mule CDs (both are double disc) anyway - so I was psyched to find them for 8$ a pop in the used bin.

-Brendan

Posted this on another thread, but just picked up a used copy of MoFi mastered Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - A Night in Tunisia. I need to grab more Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers albums.

I recommend Indestructible, as it has tunes not often covered by others. IDK if you do vinyl or not, but Music Matters will be releasing a 45 of it, remastered by Steve Hoffman. Hopefully in 2008.

I recommend Indestructible, as it has tunes not often covered by others. IDK if you do vinyl or not, but Music Matters will be releasing a 45 of it, remastered by Steve Hoffman. Hopefully in 2008.

I'll be all over that if it does in fact appear.

all from Amazon. All OJC.

Gettin' With It - Benny Golson

Groovin' with Golson - Benny Golson

Gone with Golson - Benny Golson

The Other Side of Benny Golson - Benny Golson

The Thumper - Jimmy Heath

Takin' Care of Business - Charlie Rouse Quintet

Jay Hawk Talk - Carmell Jones

Soulnik - Doug Watkins

Coolin' - Teddy Charles

Grab This! - Johnny Griffin

Lucky Strikes - Lucky Thompson

Curtis Fuller with Red Garland - Curtis Fuller

All Kinds of Weather - Red Garland Trio

A Garland of Red - Red Garland Trio

Groovy - Red Garland Trio

Funky - Gene Ammons All Stars

When There Are Grey Skies - Red Garland

Bright and Breezy - Red Garland Trio

Lookin' Good! -Joe Gordon

Keep Swingin' - Julian Priester

Branching Out - Nat Adderley Quintet

Born to Be Blue - Bobby Timmons

Soul Time - Bobby Timmons

Another Opus - Lem Winchester

Leroy Walks! - Leroy Vinnegar Sextet

Harold in the Land of Jazz - Harold Land

Landslide - Curtis Counce Group

Jenkins, Jordan and Timmons - John Jenkins

Which versions?

The two Peter Gabriel are the remasters and the two Steely Dan are original Canadian MCA CDs. I've read good things on SH forums about the Gabriel remasters and they were very cheap so I decided to grab them. The Steely Dan MCA are supposed to be the best on CD and they feature the good old AAD label. :D

Stray - Abuse By Proxy 2-Disc Limited Edition

stray-abuse-by-proxy-ltd.jpg

Side project of Erica Dunham (Unter Null), and as anyone who frequents the WAYLTRN? thread knows, I have an obsession with really like The Failure Epiphany. Where Unter Null is more Terror/EBM, Stray is more ambient/experimental. Doesn't come out 'til May 26th, and it'll be shipping from Alpha-Matrix in the EU, which means I probably won't get it until July. But whatever... Preordered.

Tartar Lamb - Sixty Metonymies

TL-cover.jpg

Another side project, this one from Toby Driver and Mia Matsumiya of Kayo Dot. I'm a recent convert to the allure of Kayo Dot, and not just because I have a bit of a crush on Mia.

Stray - Abuse By Proxy 2-Disc Limited Edition

Side project of Erica Dunham (Unter Null)...

Tartar Lamb - Sixty Metonymies

Another side project, this one from Toby Driver and Mia Matsumiya of Kayo Dot...

Wishlisted and wishlisted...

And WRT: Mia -- first of all, I didn't know they had a chick in the band.

And: I bet she plays bass.

(wanders off, looks it up)

(buzzer sound) -- WRONG!!!1!

Choirs of the Eye is amazing; I ended up finding Dowsing Anemone With Copper Tongue relatively disappointing, so I only ended up listening to it once -- I should listen to it again, I remember not disliking it, just not finding anything like "The Antique" or "Manifold Curiosity" on it. Did you download the live version of "The Antique" from their site? Is awesome.

Wishlisted and wishlisted...

Choirs of the Eye is amazing; I ended up finding Dowsing Anemone With Copper Tongue relatively disappointing, so I only ended up listening to it once -- I should listen to it again, I remember not disliking it, just not finding anything like "The Antique" or "Manifold Curiosity" on it. Did you download the live version of "The Antique" from their site? Is awesome.

Choirs of the Eye is amazing. "The Antique" is probably my favorite track of theirs, so I'll have to DL it. Dowsing Anemone With Copper Tongueis definitely a little more out there. I tend to listen to them both in a row, so they aren't completely separate entities in my head. And their new one, Blue Lambency Downward has leaked. I've only given it a spin or two, but it will definitely be purchased once it comes out.

Speaking of purchasing leaked albums, I just picked up:

Portishead - Third

31ywyuo1yOL._SS500_.jpg

And got a free 7" single of "Machine Gun".

Definitely quite the polarizing album... There seems to be little middle ground for fans. They seem to love it or hate it. I'm definitely in the love it camp, and think it's quite an achievement. I'm really looking forward to giving the final product a spint.

This week's purchases were partially influenced by the recent trombone thread.

At the Opera House [live] Stan Getz with J.J. Johnson

Trombone by Three J.J. Johnson with Kai Winding and Bennie Green

Jay and Kai + 6: The Jay and Kai Trombone Octet/J.J. in Person [live] J.J. Johnson & Kai Winding

The Eminent Jay Jay Johnson, Vol. 1 J.J. Johnson

The Eminent Jay Jay Johnson, Vol. 2 J.J. Johnson

The Procrastinator [limited Edition] Lee Morgan

Cornbread Lee Morgan

The Thing to Do [Original recording remastered] Blue Mitchell

The Cup Bearers Blue Mitchell

Big 6 Blue Mitchell

Out of the Blue Blue Mitchell

Blue Soul Blue Mitchell

Study in Brown Clifford Brown

And a few more surprises pending. ;D