Computer build help

that's 3 versions back.  And it's also only an upgrade for people that bought their hardware.

It's not an upgrade, the upgrade is free (it says so right on that page), that's the entire OS.*  But yes I see now that the EULA dictates that the OS be put on their hardware.

*I know this because exactly this situation came up at a previous company.  We had the older PowerPC-based Mac Pro that would only run Leopard of the non-Snow variety but the disk was dead and everything was lost and it cost us a new hard drive and $100 (at the time, now $20) to get a new OS.  Having the hardware didn't get us shit.

Well this got interesting.  I will preface that I loathe Apple's way of locking everything down and making parts proprietary (main reason why I own nothing from Apple), but I was wondering about the licencing of the OS:  why not tie the 20 dollar version to a serial number of a machine and offering a "Hacintosh" version for a higher price for those that want to build their own systems (and usually have the brains to troubleshoot potential problems).  Seems like a win win to me.

Apple likes their customers to be very happy.  Allowing people to fiddle and get frustrated is not really a part of their business model.  I get it. Totally.  If you choose to go the hackintosh route you should plan on complaining directly to the mirror.  

That said, sorry to hear you're having issues CJ.  I'd recommend the return and punt course of action and either buy and actual Mac product or a Win machine that can do what you want.  I have no patience for messing around with computers anymore.  I just want to sit down, have it work and do what I want without worrying about it.  That's my 2¢.

...why not tie the 20 dollar version to a serial number of a machine and offering a "Hacintosh" version for a higher price for those that want to build their own systems (and usually have the brains to troubleshoot potential problems).  Seems like a win win to me.

Apple like to keep everything in house -- eliminates 3rd party fuckups.  I don't agree with such a limiting business model, but I understand that it's theirs.

And I totally get the 3rd party fuckups part.  Not meaning CJ, meaning 3rd party companies that manufacture software, etc.  It eliminates variables outside their control, and makes the market much easier to predict.

Nate I'm giving the rma motherboard another chance. If not I'll try to see if adobe can offer me a PC license in exchange for my mac ones. Probably not but I'm not buying those licenses again. If this desktop doesn't work out ill likely just try to use the MacBook Air. Which sucks as I got the most watered down version :(

Edited by crappyjones123

Yeah, I was just thinking aloud regarding OS control.  It works well for Apple to keep it as is, even if I don't agree.

Oh, Crappy, if you are going the RMA route with Newegg, expect a refurb.  I strongly urge you to cut your losses and try a different avenue.

Edited by roadtonowhere08

I asked for a refund on the old one and ordered a new one. So far it is running just fine. No crashes. Last time I spoke too soon. Will wait before I jump to conclusions. 

Marc, the academic licenses I purchased are Mac specific and won't work on a PC (I tried). I can't afford a Mac Pro (they start at $3000) and an iMac would not fit well on my desk as I already have a 27" monitor. 

I do wish Apple would make a desktop like the higher end iMacs without a monitor attached. This is the only reason I am thinking of doing a hackintosh. The new Mac Pros are great, just way too much money for me. It's such a waste to be throwing away a monitor every 3-4 years.

the quad 2.6 i7 mini seems like a reasonable little system.  Dunno if it's fast enough for maths tho.  I'm pretty happy with my 2008 mac pro.

Most of the stuff I really want to compute, I do on our aging server (which is not all that fast) and I end up running for days/weeks and it never finishes (runs out of RAM or I give up on it).  A slightly faster computer probably wouldn't help.  I just sucks that Apple can't make a reasonably priced desktop with desktop class Intel chips (and a dedicated GPU).  The old Mac Pros were more reasonable.  

Aren't you the one who told me the Mini is basically the equivalent of a laptop powerwise?  The (previously mentioned) higher end iMacs go to 3.2 and 3.4 -- true desktop speeds.

Maybe it was Sherwood.  I don't remember...

Yup, the mini is a laptop.  It uses laptop parts.  The iMac does too, for many things, but it does have a desktop processor, with equivalent power draw.  

I say keep getting iMacs, Shelly, but don't throw them away.  I've sold a 4 year old iMac for $600, which is a nice start on a new one.  Sell it right after a version update, and you're golden.  My old iMac could not be upgraded past Mountain Lion, so I wiped it, installed Mountain lion fresh, and sold it the weekend Mountain Lion came out.  Et voila.

My old iMac could not be upgraded past Mountain Lion, so I wiped it, installed Mountain lion fresh, and sold it the weekend Mountain Lion came out.  Et voila.

I may be confused, but how did you know the requirements for the next OS X release a year earlier?