Head Case Motorsports

VPI

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1143062_ferrari-12-cilindri-revealed

Just have to comment on this, so rare to see a modern car, where they nailed the design when there are so safety many regulations, that need to be met, needs to have powerful aero, etc. Even before I read the press release, I was thinking of the Top Gear Daytona video. The classic proportions are great, but with modern details that also look stunning, like the bulges on the bonnet and real wheel arches. And at least still fully powered by a combustion engine.
Interestingly, some comments on YT videos (where I think the design can't be showcased the same way, because it is a closed secret location before the embargo) say it is ugly, and previous models look better. I can't even...

• Like 1

I like the way it looks - I wasn't sure at first, as most new "electric-era" cars seem to be similar-looking.

I'm not sure about the reliability of the electronics and systems in the long run. No doubt it will be very fast, but I wonder how thoroughly they test these things.

Obviously, flagship V12 grand tourers are mostly low-mileage showpieces, but I really wonder how they hold up with more driving on long trips.

I thought they'd have a higher list price considering current inflation, but they might have achieved more efficiencies in their manufacturing processes.

Edited by HiWire

2 hours ago, HiWire said:

I thought they'd have a higher list price considering current inflation, but they might have achieved more efficiencies in their manufacturing processes.

"But one thing is inevitable: price hike. At an estimated €400K / £400K / $420K, it will be a whopping 60 percent more expensive than the 812 Superfast went on sale 7 years ago."

Design analysis:

I like seeing retro nods to past models which I think this one certainly accomplished.  Overall, I like it.  

The engine compartment somewhat reminds me of a Dodge Viper (V10) but with the engine clearly set further back.

Owning Italian is not for the light hearted or those on a budget...LOL.

HS

• Haha 1

I'm not surprised by the price hike at all.

This will be a very small volume of cars, probably sold over a shortened life cycle until the hybrid or electric variants take over.

The subjective reviews should be interesting - has Ferrari made the driving experience too electronic, or does it feel natural at speed?

Edited by HiWire

Normally they make a track-focused special, so maybe one more exclusive derivative, that would be the most desirable unobtainable collectible one, although I wonder if any extra aero is going to ruin the looks.
https://autozine.org/Archive/Ferrari/new/F12.html#812
I would be very surprised it if hasn't improved a bit further from the previous gen, which was already a 5-star driving car, the 'electronic' driving experience has started a long time ago, and people got used to it.

I would assume they've sorted out the handling, but still an extra 90 hp on top of that...
So the 'natural feel' at speed when stepping on the loud pedal is probably scary. Even with all the driving aids, in less-than-ideal conditions, this much power can overwhelm the rear, so we will eventually see premiership footballers crashing it.

Another notable thing is that they also had to clamp down on the outside noise due to some stupid regulations and use the interior to amplify it on the inside. Aftermarket exhaust makers will have a field day with this one.

• Haha 1

On 4/29/2024 at 10:18 AM, grawk said:

IMG_2087.jpeg

Heh. @grawk, so I'm talking to Joe and he mentions something about dropping 2800$ on tires before this SmokieGT Rally he was on, and after 5 days needed another set :)

I'm like "wait, that wasn't late April, was it?" "Yeah" *goes and digs up this pic* "Friends of yours, by any chance?" "Yep. That was part of our crew."

Here's a shot from Road Atlanta:
May be an image of text

May be an image of road and text
Was hoping that was the same white car, but don't think it is.
May be an image of 1 person and car
Few of them got together
May be an image of 5 people, car and text
Some a little more special than others.

https://www.smokiesgt.org/

• Like 4