Closed - KGSSHV Carbon and GoldenReference HV PS Group Buy

mwl168

I think PCBnet is the right choice. The prices for the v5 and the fat psus are great. And most likely the board quality will be fine.

Could you provide some insight in the board specs?

Thank you so much for organizing this GB!!!!

Edited by insanity

I think PCBnet is the right choice. The prices for the v5 and the fat psus are great. And most likely the board quality will be fine.

Could you provide some insight in the board specs?

Thank you so much for organizing this GB!!!!

Thanks for reminding me. All boards are 2mm thick and 2oz copper, HASL finish, green PCB with white silkscreen. V2 and V3 board cost is mostly for reference only ( I hope  ::) ).

Edited by mwl168

As far as I remember NoPants asked for the Mundorf Caps option, and Kevin change the layout accordingly.

The Mundorf features their 4pin technology. Kevin says he uses the 4pin configuration on the cap before regulation, but shorts it on the cap at the output (uses the cap as a regular cap).

As for the advantage it probably boils down to personal taste and belief

As for the spreadsheet, the GB is intended for those who wants 680uF/550V.  I got quote on 470uF, 580uF(custom) and 680uF ....I guess the price difference isn't huge, so I guess most wants the 680uF? (have changed the spreadsheet to indicate this, and moved the Caps GB to separate sheet in the same workbook) ...but as KingOfSnake states: they are massive huge, and that goes for both the Kemet and Mundorf. Might be something to consider when planning for a chassie.

I would like 8 of those.

Updated the spreadsheet.

Thanks

Following your link, I can see that they reference a Mundorf datasheet where the 680uF is rated at 550V ...like it says on the Mundorf site ....so I guess Mundorf stick to 550V ,ok?

Yes, I saw that data sheet, and noted that surge voltage is 550V (605 for the other sizes) even if the first column says 500V rated voltage, so technically it should be fine if maybe close.

My question was more about Mundorf's latest data sheet (same as website "http://www.mundorf.com/en/?category=hifi&menu=caps_power&content=mlytic_hv_4pin, more recent version than partsconnexion sheet?), where VDC in the third column is 550V for all, but the first column order code implies that the 680uF might be rated 500V rather than 550. For any other component on that board I would not care, but these caps... Since some sellers seem to go by the order code, I though it worth checking out.

Anyway, you're certainly right, it's much more likely that sellers have misread the order code than that Mundorf has screwed up their VDC rating table. I might send an e-mail to Mundorf just to make sure though.

And here's input from Mundorf:

"Thank you for your interest in our articles.

The higher VDC shows the surge voltage, the lower the rated voltage.

For more details about our MLYTIC capacitors please download our newest catalogue at this link:

http://www.mundorf.com/PDF/Mundorf_Fidelity_Components_Catalog.pdf "

"The actual available item are shown in the catalogue, NOT on the homepage.

The last price changes were at June 6th, also there were changes in the delivery program."

4-pin power caps are at page 27. Unfortunately, the 680 uF seems no longer to be in the standard list, so no clarity there... On the other hand, if Mundorf then custom makes these for batch orders, their spec would be ground truth, so no problem left to solve. Sorry for making a fuzz about this.

Anyone have an explanation why the UL-standard seems is more demanding in comparison with MIL spec?

https://edeskv2.belden.com/products/index.cfm?event=printPrev&pnum=83027&ut=English

I have looked at this Belden wire ... rated at 1kV Mil Spec ...but only 300V UL standard .... it seems to 'fail' on the thickness of the insulation:

the Belden wire has 0.015"

UL requires minimum 0.020" for 600V and 0.022" for 1000V

Anyone have an explanation why the UL-standard seems is more demanding in comparison with MIL spec?

https://edeskv2.belden.com/products/index.cfm?event=printPrev&pnum=83027&ut=English

I have looked at this Belden wire ... rated at 1kV Mil Spec ...but only 300V UL standard .... it seems to 'fail' on the thickness of the insulation:

the Belden wire has 0.015"

UL requires minimum 0.020" for 600V and 0.022" for 1000V

MIL specs are dead nowadays. IPC is typically followed (even in for products going into the MIL industry).