What Are You Building Today

luvdunhill

14 minutes ago, gepardcv said:

Thanks for all the advice! Guess I’d better go learn to use a table saw.

I'd recommend finding a friend instead.  While it'll be pretty simple for a routine user of a table saw it's certainly not something that I'd take on as one of my first.  Given your use of metric dimensions I'm going to guess that you're not in the CONUS or some of us might be able to help.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, naamanf said:

It just sits there. That metal on top will have some motor things to move it around and a spinning thing to make wood, plastic, and aluminum shavings. 

Seems like a huge table for smashing sticks. 

What do you guys use to finish Baltic Birch projects. I have the toy box with a little bit of Purple Heart that I am about ready to finish. 

I like using oils like boiled linseed oil or Tried & True products (Original Wood Finish or Varnish Oil, although their Danish Oil might be good for the dog toy box) because they are easy, non toxic can be refinished or freshened without stripping the old one. For your dog toy box, you might want a polyurethane -- either water based poly or a tougher finish like Arm R Seal, which is an oil and poly mix.

• Like 2

I think I have now officially used every piece of stick torturing equipment in my “shop” to build this one box. I had already purchased a Shellac and a UV blocking Polyurethane and I see no one recommends those so I guess I will head to the shop.

498C84BB-24DA-4F28-B05C-A8AFD7F77B8B.jpeg

Edited by VPI
  • Like 1

Well, unless I find some way to make some Purple Heart wood filler for my screw-ups, I think I am about sanded 80-120-180-220 and ready to wipe on some of this Arm-R-Seal stuff. 

Need better attention to detail, a better way to estimate angles for the trim and probably to do more accurate 45 cuts as the track saw likes to lean.  Trying to force the floor and four sides together on dominoes was not a perfect experience either, I need an apprentice.  I also need to write less on the wood, pain to get it all off.

Good enough for mid-century modern dog toys I guess. 

4327A58F-49AB-49AB-B0DE-91C07D329B08.jpeg

Edited by VPI
  • Like 3

With the complex design you chose for your first big project, I'd say you did pretty well. 

I would cut the trim long, then put it against the actual box to mark the angles in place. But that's just experience. That comes naturally. What doesn't come natural is the eye for design and the ability to turn that design into an actual object. You seem to have that in spades. Most would have built an easy square box. Kudos!

As for putty to match the Purple Heart, simply make some Purple Heart sawdust, mix with wood glue into a thick paste and putty all gaps before it dries. Over putty, then sand level after dry.

• Like 4