What are you EATING right now?

JBLoudG20

On March 18, 2016 at 11:25 PM, EdipisReks said:

I decided to splurge tonight, after I found a burger patty that I had made about 6 months ago, in my freezer.  Half sirloin, half lamb, with garlic and various spices.  Cooked sous vide at 120 for a couple hours, then seared with the Searzall, and topped with aged cheddar (which was then melted).  On a good kaiser roll, with homemade mayo, dijon, and a thick slice of heirloom tomato, topped with a bit of flake salt.  I really expected to have my socks knocked off, but honestly, I didn't like it that much better than I do the veggie patties that I've been buying.  This was a damned good batch of burgers, and they were vacuum sealed in heavy duty bags (no freezer burn at all), so I think my tastes have just changed.  

That was the first meat I've had since early January, if you don't count the lox I had a few weeks ago (I'm kind of ambivalent about fish, at this point: eating fish doesn't make me feel bad, but I have no super particular desire to do so).  I am looking forward to having steaks with my best friend, once he gets back from going home for a month to help his father transition into assisted living, but I really think I've more or less lost any cravings I had for meat.  A pretty big change, for me.  There was a point in my life when I was having rare steak 5 days a week.  Now that long ago, I was making sausage from scratch, and to good effect. It's a wonder that my cholesterol is as low as it is.

I've been mostly vegetarian for 6 months.  I've switched to pescatarian because I have been feeling a little low energy, and have meat on occasion but It's gone pretty well.  I don't think hamburger is better than veggie burgers, except for the gas involved.  I do think I feel better with beef or something comparable about once a week or so. 

• Like 2

I'll have to try those veggie burgers.   I've had some decent black bean burgers but never one that was supposed to taste like a hamburger and did. 

12 hours ago, grawk said:

I've been mostly vegetarian for 6 months.  I've switched to pescatarian because I have been feeling a little low energy, and have meat on occasion but It's gone pretty well.  I don't think hamburger is better than veggie burgers, except for the gas involved.  I do think I feel better with beef or something comparable about once a week or so. 

At various times I've tried to be vegetarian but I've also felt a bit low energy.  I feel best with a small amount of meat in my diet. 

On 3/22/2016 at 10:33 PM, cetoole said:

What veggie burgers and chicken substitutes do you people favour these days?  It has been years since I have had any, and they were pretty awful then.

I like the morningstar blackbean burger