What are you EATING right now?

JBLoudG20

Two McD double cheeseburgers for lunch. Weight gain GET!

It actually seems kind of healthy, other than the excessive saturated fat and sodium.

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 1 sandwich / 6.1 oz / 173g

Amount per Serving

• Calories 450 Calories from Fat 234

% Daily Value *

• Total Fat 26g 40%
    • Saturated Fat 12g 60%
    • Cholesterol 85mg 28%
    • Sodium 1220mg 51%
    • Total Carbohydrate 38g 13%
    • Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
    • Sugars 8g
    • Protein 25g 50%

[*]Vitamin A10%

[*]Vitamin C4%

[*]Calcium30%

[*]Iron20%

Est. Percent of Calories from:

Fat 52.0% Carbs 33.8%

Protein 22.2%

For SWMBO first Friday in Lent supper, I made a salmon and creamed corn fritata which we had with garlic crusty artisan bread toasts and steamed dressed green beans:

4372671567_be90f291c0_b.jpg

The fritata started with sauteeing two cloves of minced garlic in some good EVOO, then half of a chopped white onion and then 1 and 1/3 cans of pink Alaskan salmon untils all were lightly carmelized.

(NOTE: the amount of canned salmon, 1 and a third cans, was imposed on me when Lola, A/K/A Lodie the little ADD doggie, snarfed 2/3 of the first can of salmon which I had flaked onto a paper towel and left on the counter to drain while I went downstairs to work in my office- she was spoken to about this :mad:).

I brought a pint container of egg substitutes (which we now like better than whole eggs) to room temperature and then added an ounce of half & half, some Bragg's, juice of one lemon, fresh cracked black pepper and seasalt, and a small can of creamed corn. The egg mixture was mixed into the sauteed components and cooked stovetop until it set before being finished in a 400F oven. Garnish was some fresh chopped Italian flatleaf parsley.

We agreed that it was the best fritata I had ever made and went well with a glass of pinot grigio. The fork you see in the upper right corner is SWMBO digging in already. :D

Yeah one of these I'm definitely going to buy some recipe books and make stuff. I sort of helped make what is apparently a Russian snack, translated to "cheese salad" a couple of days ago. Coursely grated cheese + homemade mayonnaise (consisting of egg yolk, a bit of water, and a cup of canola oil) and some garlic, mixed a bit and spread over bread. Very easy to make and tasty.

my mother came over for dinner tonight, so i made Alton Brown's meatloaf, mac and cheese of my own devising (simple but delicious), potato casserole of my own devising, and fresh baked boule. quite good.

That sounds awesome reksy. Do you find cooking relaxing? My wife loves to cook and sort of zones out while doing so.

Even a small jar of Marmite will last you a long time. You only need to use the tiniest amounts. Eating a teaspoon of it like chocolate spread is not going to be something your tongue will cope with.

Indeed, I was once working on site with a French co worker. One morning over breakfast in the Hotel, he asked what (pointing at foil topped Marmite single serving) it was? I said, you spread it your toast, like jam.

He then proceeded to liberally apply the entire contents of the packet to a slice of toast.

I didn't have the heart to tell him that you only need a thin film on hot buttered toast.

It was worth it to see the look on his face when he began eating >:D

Got a couple pounds of 5/8ths inch thick round steak , trimmed off all the fate and connective tissue and sliced it cross-grain into two inch long strips. As you will see, I prefer chunkier strips of unpounded steak. Marinated the beef strips warm and cold in sweet marsala wine, worchestershire sauce, lemon juice, and balsamic vinegar. Drained beef and saved marinade.

Here's the beef strips seasoned with fresh cracked black pepper and seasalt in 2TBS of smoking hot sunflower oil getting a nice sear on in my big nonstick sautee pan before being reserved:

4384753111_6942940fd4_b.jpg

After setting my oven to 275F, I put 4TBS of good EVOO in the Le Creuset 2.75 quart dutch oven and sauteed some sliced mushrooms, then added five cloves of diced garlic, and a medium sliced sweet yellow onion. To this we added 1 TSP each of dry oregano, dill, nutmeg, thyme, rosemary, and sweet Hungarian paprika and 2TBS each of double strength tomato paste, prepared French dijon mustard, and prepared horseradish.

After this had cooked a bit, I sprinked 4TBS all purpose white flower over, stirred and cooked out the flour taste. The sauteed floured herbed vegetables were then deglazed with a cup of beef broth and the reserved marinade. Added the seared beef strips and their juices and brought the whole thing back to a simmer.

Then covered the whole thing and put it into the 275F oven for two and a half hours, stirring each hour. Add additional fluid if necessary. Removed from oven and stirred in a cup of non-fat sour cream.

Here we have it served over homemade buttered noodles with fresh chopped flatleaf Italian parsley:

4384754337_e7a23c32c0_b.jpg

Steamed dressed seasoned French green beans almondine and a glass of cab on the side. Yum! :)