Woodworkers of Head Case unite!

swt61

Decided to try some power carving with the new Kutzall discs in the angle grinder. Definitely a bit janky due to not keeping track of the depth of cut and making it to the second layer of slab for some weird grain changes. 

DAABEEC1-959D-4FCA-9F5F-FDCF7275FE09.jpeg

IMG_4045.jpeg

IMG_4043.jpeg

IMG_4048.jpeg

Edited by VPI
  • Like 1

I am going to just pretend the grain change js a design feature. 

Starting a slat towel cabinet for the downstairs bath in Sapele to match the Sapele bathtub tray in there. 

I also found the source of the unknown wood I had that we discussed a few weeks ago.  It is Narra and the weird wood in my stop gap is Amazonique.  I knew it was something about the amazon.

Image 8-5-23 at 11.57 AM.jpeg

IMG_4054.jpeg

IMG_4051.jpeg

• Like 1

When you posted Amazonique, I assumed it would be a South American species. After seeing its from West Africa, I looked closer to see it's Amazique.

A nice looking wood no matter the name.

Narra I have heard of, but don't believe I've worked with.

I always consider you the most conservative amongst us Steve. 

Also, I have stickers. Where are the Milo & Otis Woodworking and Magic Ping Pong Table stickers?

Also #2. I am already sick of the shills drooling over the stupid, tiny Festool battery powered “table saw”. 

IMG_4087.jpeg

Edited by VPI

On 8/7/2023 at 1:55 AM, VPI said:

First dry fit did not have any disasters so now break it down and sand everything and I believe I am going to put a coat of finish on before glue up to try to limit annoying glue scraping. 

IMG_4058.jpeg

That is really neat. I'm a great fan of Sapele, but it can be a real bugger to get a good finish because of the cross grain nature of that wood. Because of that, putting it through a planer always produces tear out regardless of the direction of feed. I always end up using a scraper to get a good finish.

With that in mind - how did you get such a great finish?

6 hours ago, Craig Sawyers said:

That is really neat. I'm a great fan of Sapele, but it can be a real bugger to get a good finish because of the cross grain nature of that wood. Because of that, putting it through a planer always produces tear out regardless of the direction of feed. I always end up using a scraper to get a good finish.

With that in mind - how did you get such a great finish?

I honestly have used Sapele in so many builds with so many finishes (Arm-r-seal, Odie’s, Total Boat Halcyon, Tried and True) and I have never had issues with getting a glass finish. The Halcyon is much harder to get this with as it loves to pool in crevices, but all manageable. May be the helical heads on the planer/jointer or just luck, but my only issue with Sapele is router work on the edges and getting chip out. 

I do sand with 0000 steel wool between coats to smooth things out and do a bit of a flood coat on the first coat for the grain you reference. 

On 8/11/2023 at 3:38 PM, swt61 said:

The difference is absolutely helical heads vs. standard planar knives. 

Plus, they send the best straight grained Sapele to the USA, because that's where the best woodworkers are!

😝

But straight grained is just not as attractive as cross grained (Krenov quirkily called such wood "rowed" - so the grain in interlocking rows). But it is a sod to finish properly, but definitely worth the effort.

But that I had a helical head knife planer/thicknesser!

I use Sapele as a substitute for mahogany. Because mahogany is CITES listed, many woodworkers buy old mahogany furniture and break it for the wood. I think that is a bad way of misusing old furniture, so I use sapele.

Looking for some guidance from the experts. I am using a french cleat to hang the cabinet, just cannot decide if I need to reinforce the cleat/add another or if the scheme I am using will be strong enough.  Probably will be about 40-60 pounds total. 

IMG_4110.jpeg