Woodworkers of Head Case unite!

swt61

I refinished a stock. After removing the finish, used something called timberluxe - it’s birth year linseed oil and pixie dust I guess … it’s reassuringly expensive and doesn’t last long once air gets in the bottle. Then used a few coats of wax. Ta da!

My second project was quite the opposite in terms of success. The stock used a stain/filler base with crappy poly top coat - it’s almost like it had hand drawn dark grain streaks to simulate flamed walnut appearance. I am going to have to regroup and figure out how to re-attempt that one.

IMG_2249.jpeg

• Like 5

Not strictly woodworking - but tools related.

Question - if you were going to buy into a wireless ecosystem for a tool set these days - what would you choose? I am thinking things that are widely available and selection (think - yellow - red - green - etc. - not festool). To put together a nice basic project/repair set. Impact/drill/circular/jig/sander/angle/etc.

Any advice is welcome - thanks in advance. 

48 minutes ago, mikeymad said:

Not strictly woodworking - but tools related.

Question - if you were going to buy into a wireless ecosystem for a tool set these days - what would you choose? I am thinking things that are widely available and selection (think - yellow - red - green - etc. - not festool). To put together a nice basic project/repair set. Impact/drill/circular/jig/sander/angle/etc.

Any advice is welcome - thanks in advance. 

https://www.head-case.org/forums/topic/9993-jacobs-mindless-consumerism-ftwwhatd-you-buy-this-time/page/881/#comment-913964

It's a more limited system, so it may not meet your needs. But if it does, It's worth considering. Otherwise I'd probably look at turquoise for no other reason than Steve seems to like it.

• Like 1

I am definitely a fan of team turquoise. They make a high quality tool.

That being said, I have had a large number of tools by Bosche, DeWalt, Porter Cable and a limited number of Milwaukee tools in the past. My Milwaukee tools were limited because back then so were their offerings.

I think most well known manufacturers today produce a quality tool. Previously I'd more commonly mix brands of corded tools. Today much less so, out of want for a single battery system. Makita has not produced a small jobsite cordless tablesaw, so I've bought a limited DeWalt battery grouping and charger and DeWalt cordless table saw. Because DeWalt makes a very good jobsite tablesaw and one of the largest batteries offered (15 ah), I'm OK about owning two battery systems.

I doubt you'd be dissatisfied with Bosche, Milwaukee or DeWalt. Hilti also builds a very nice tool, but I'm less knowledgeable about their offerings. 

If a multi-tool is something you'd like in your arsenal, the Makita XMT04ZB vastly outperforms every other make out there IMO. 

Edited by swt61
  • Like 2

Thanks for the input - yeah, I come from the land of corded tools, so you just bought what you wanted and the right tool for the job. But the ecosystem thing is new to me - maybe a reason I never jumped to apple. 

But I am drawn towards the 18V Milw Fuel system (nice selection), and the 20V DeWalt system as well. My first thought was Makita, but that was based on my brother's tools, and that was 10+ years ago. They seem to be playing catch-up a bit, in the wireless camp that is. 

It will be a little bit before I buy, so any further comments opinions are more than welcome. 

cheers

4 hours ago, mikeymad said:

My first thought was Makita, but that was based on my brother's tools, and that was 10+ years ago. They seem to be playing catch-up a bit, in the wireless camp that is.

Makita has been making battery-powered tools for decades and I would say they are leaders not followers. That said, any of these systems will be a good choice.

• Like 1

Makita also has a newer 40vt system. Very good reviews on that system. But what I really like is that they're not abandoning their 18vt system. They're still issuing new tools on that and the 36vt (two 18vt) platform. But I'm not here to sway you. All are good systems. 

What I would do is list the tools that I'd like to purchase, then look at those tools on the various platforms. Then make my decision on the brand that had the features I liked best.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, swt61 said:

What I would do is list the tools that I'd like to purchase, then look at those tools on the various platforms. Then make my decision on the brand that had the features I liked best.

What? - Do the actual work!?! 

hehe

And of course that is what I should do, and probably will. Pick the 7ish tools that I would like to have around and then look at those for features and build. With an eye on what else they have in the line that I might want to expand to. It is hard for me not to just dump $1k and just but one of the big sets on sale. Yeah I know that they come with a flashlight and a crappy bluetooth speaker, but it comes with a bag. 🤓

I have so many useless Milwaukee and Dewalt bags and chargers laying around.  They make it hard to pass up these kits, but all they add to my shop is clutter. I think I have 7 Milwaukee chargers, three Dewalt and the VW Beetle sized double charger from Makita taking up room around here. 

I tend to buy Milwaukee when they are an option as I have so many batteries for them. Makita 40v is interesting but seems way overkill for anyone but pros. 

• Like 1

Sold the rolly stools from Vyper, as they were too large to roll around my mini shop and I am now building a new stool for my bench.  Made to match the workbench with Ash legs, maple joints and Jatoba seat tripod bench with locking keys holding all the joints together.  About to the point where I get to sit on it and see if it explodes (50/50 in my shop).

Anyone else build a shop stool?  I really could not find much interesting for the design as I guess they are not popular in the woodworking shop.

• Like 2

Any of you do stickers/magnets/etc. for the wood shops?  Was looking at least getting some stickers to throw in packaging and I have a friend with a shirt printing business. Seems like it is fairly reasonable cost from a place like stickermule. 

Yeah, my buddy has one of those but it largely just prints single color cutouts which does not really work for the new logo. 
Looking at Sticker Mule for stickers and finding out the minimum number of custom shirts I can buy from my neighbor from his business. 

IMG_4036.png

• Like 2