Woodworkers of Head Case unite!

swt61

6 hours ago, MexicanDragon said:

Figured some of you may want to snag one of these for the shop(s).

https://festoolfanshop.com/products/pizza-cutter?variant=40150557491287

I assume, since it is Festool, you will need the hands of a child to hold it and the replacement blades would cost more than a pizza oven. 

10 hours ago, luvdunhill said:

Used a lot of Penofin - honestly I found it hard to apply to some of the figured / end-grain parts. In the wrong light it looks faded and kinda ashy. For the straight grain pieces (whatever the opposite of end grain is) it worked really well. However, it felt like an hour between the two thin coats was too long - maybe that’s because it was like 150 degrees outside.

Not sure I read the instructions that well, but i basically brush it on and then wipe it off 15 minutes later. Not sure I have bothered with additional coats. 

• Like 1

Got to do a little test of the Powermatic Air Filter today. Air quality is garbage outside and I had the door open. 
Original air quality:IMG_3930.jpeg

40 minutes with the Powermatic on and door closed:

IMG_3932.jpeg

Edited by VPI
  • Like 3

Have to build side panels for an 80s synthesizer with crappy particle board side that a friend is restoring Was going to go with curly maple but found some curly walnut in the wood pile that I think will be awesome on stage. 

IMG_3937.jpeg

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Voltron said:

Looking quickly, I thought you were saying that was the same board before and after. I was going to have to learn your sanding technique to get that result! 😎

Your curly walnut version is going to be awesome.

This is what happens when you drop the Festool sanders and move to Mirka. 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Angry 1

Serious question for wood workers of HC: How much do good cast iron C-clamps cost these days?  Sizes 4" to 12" with a few odd bigger ones.  My father had a bunch, which were made in the 1980s.  Many are quite deep.  I don't have much use for them, but stubborn idiot that I am, I took every last one of them to MV with me.  I left behind his bar clamp collection ...for now.

I've seen a lot of C-clamps for sale online, many for less than $25.  Most of them look like pure sintered Chinesium to me.  Where do serious woodworkers go to buy clamps these days?

Thanks for the info.  I should not be surprised that C clamps are basically useless these days.  My father was a very (mid) 20th century man, and was highly resistant to change.  He got away with it primarily by being the smartest person in the room, and never above using that to his advantage.

TldLwTe.jpg

Upon reflection this is only a small part of his collection, which means there's a bunch more I still need to unearth.  I should add he never did any original construction with these, they were use to repair antique furniture.

• Like 2

I have a few that almost never get used. My go to methods are ratchet straps and a selection of gizmos to protect the work, or Bessey clamps, like this https://www.besseytools.co.uk/bessey-die-cast-zinc-screw-clamp-lm20-10-200-100 which are not cheap, but are exceedingly good. I have quite a number in different sizes.

Bessey Die-cast zinc screw clamp LM20/10 200/100

• Like 1