Head-Fi Update on Facebook

justin

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6:53PM

2007-11-20 1849 EST UPDATE: We are currently in the process of rebuilding forum tables, which could take between one and three days from now, after which we will attempt to put the forums back up. If the forums are functioning properly after the table rebuilds, then we will have to re-build the search index. The table that is causing the greatest delay, currently, is the PM one, which is taking much longer to complete than we originally planned. This process also requires a persistent connection from my side, and, if it stalls or breaks, the process stops, after which a connection can be reestablished, and the process continued. So this particular process requires constant monitoring to catch the stalls as quickly as possible.

I'll provide more updates as I can, and as we feel we're making progress.

Wish us luck, and thank you for your patience. As I've said, I really am sorry about this outage.

I wonder if he's turned the indexes off? Sometimes that slows things down. Especially if he has to rebuild them when he's done anyway.

My admittedly limited experience with large databases is that it's MUCH MUCH MUCH faster to load the tables, and then index them, rather than index while loading. But like I said, it's limited experience. I ran the systems, I wasn't the DBA.

My admittedly limited experience with large databases is that it's MUCH MUCH MUCH faster to load the tables, and then index them, rather than index while loading. But like I said, it's limited experience. I ran the systems, I wasn't the DBA.
No, that reflects my experience as well -- that's why I was wondering.

I was the SA and the DBA, as well as the developer and the guy who carted the trash to the door.

Update - Head-Fi Will Be Back, but without private messages or forum attachments

Okay, knock on wood, it looks so far like mostly good news, and some bad news.

The good news is that it appears we have all of the forum, thread, post and user data restored up to the moment of the big crash on 2007-11-10. We're still doing some rebuilding, but I'm feeling pretty darned good about these things right now, and it was those posts, threads, and forums that were priority #1 through the rebuild.

The bad news is that the private message table does not appear to be current. Looking into my private message account, I have no private messages after some time in January 2007. More bad news is that the post attachments did not make it through this initial restoration. For both the PM and attachments information, we will try further restoration later, but, right now, I just want to get the forums up and running as soon as possible. So far, one more piece of bad news is that we lost the blog information. Luckily, that had only been up since October 2007, and we may be able to find cached blog posts in Google, for when we put the blog plugin back in. Right now, we're also still unclear on the photo database and files--we *think* we might be able to restore that, and I won't comment further on that until we know more.

Also, the way the forum was restored, URLs have changed. This will take a while to resolve in the web search engines, but hopefully not too long, since Head-Fi.org is crawled and updated constantly by all the major web search engines.

There are a lot of maintenance tasks to undertake before we put Head-Fi.org's forums back up, but we'll work all night to get as much of that done as possible, for a possible Thanksgiving re-opening.

Also, we will probably put up a temporary search solution while the search index rebuilds. (But, again, if the temporary solution is based on domain-limited web search, the results you get from a temporary solution might not be terribly effective until the web search engines re-crawl and update their indexes of Head-Fi.org.)

Additionally, until we get all configurations (hardware, OS and software) optimized, the forum will probably not perform at its best. We will work to address that this weekend.

This is all I have for now. Again, I feel good about what I'm seeing so far. The forums sub-forums were scattered all over the place after the restore, and I'm working right now on re-arranging them into their familiar places.

But, first, I take my first breather in a week-and-a-half. Wii Tennis anyone? I promise not to take more than a half-hour break before diving right into this again.

Again, everyone, I'm so very sorry about this outage. And I'm also sorry for any missing data (like the PM's and attachments that are not currently up to date, but that we will try further to recover once we're back up, with no promises about those at this time).