Head-Fi Update on Facebook

justin

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think that after all this, perhaps HF might be interested in a fresh start and offer amnesty to the banned...... if they had interest in returning.....

Why? I'm not saying every case, but there's more than a banned few folks that more or less begged for banning. What was that guy's name who showed up here for a minute right after getting banned there? gaguin or gaj...something. The anti-gun guy. Why would anyone want him back?

Why? I'm not saying every case, but there's more than a banned few folks that more or less begged for banning. What was that guy's name who showed up here for a minute right after getting banned there? gaguin or gaj...something. The anti-gun guy. Why would anyone want him back?

I agree with you about trouble makers, but there are a lot of politically banned people as well.

USG

Latest?

One more piece of bad news: Not all of the user profile fields appeared/populated when we imported the users back into the system (like the equipment category fields). We're looking into trying to get this information back, and I'll report to you whether or not we will be able to.

So, so far on the bad news:

-- Blog data looks gone for good (but many of the posts can hopefully be recreated by the bloggers with Google cached pages).

-- Thread/post URLs have changed, so any bookmarked threads you have in your browser or online bookmarks will likely point to the wrong post(s)/thread(s).

-- We're still trying to reclaim the photo data (from photo.head-fi.org). This has been the second time this has happened, and, given the availability of good, free dedicated photo hosting services, we may discontinue photo.head-fi.org if we can not reclaim the photo data. (We ran into problems with this once before during a photo software upgrade, where our photo data was intact, but photos disassociated from the user profiles.)

-- Private message data seems not to be current (I personally have none of my PM's from after some time in January 2007). We are still looking into possible remedies for this, but I'm in no position to make any promises, and have to assume the worst with regard to this at this point, based on what I've seen so far.

-- User profile fields did not import over during the repair/re-build, but we're looking to see if we can somehow extract that data and populate it agian. As with the photos and private message data, I'm not sure if we'll be able to do this, but we're investigating this now.

Though I'm excited that the forum/thread/post/registration data I've seen so far looks good and intact (which are, by far, the items I was most concerned about, and which received the most attention), I know the above bad-news points are some tough pills to swallow, and I'm sorry about these possible casualties.

Sincerely,

Jude

All is fair with war and love...and internet forums.

Like they say at my motorcycle rallies: "There are two types of riders. Those who have gone down, and those who will go down. Just try and keep your shiny side up".

And as Morgan Freeman (who played the President in "Deep Impact") said, "yes, there will be many casualties, many will die, but life will go on".

Thanks for your efforts, to all that's involved in the head-fi mess. Looks like I won't even exist if the speculations are true.

btw, everybody who's had a transaction with me can PM me here, and restructure each other's feedback threads, since I have all of my PMs emailed to me

I wouldn't worry about it. Based on Jude's update, all the registration info, threads, and posts have been restored up to the time of the outage. The talk of all that data going back to sometime in 2006 being wiped out was a while ago and before these updates from Jude.

Thanks for your efforts, to all that's involved in the head-fi mess. Looks like I won't even exist if the speculations are true.

What does this mean, "to all that's involved in the Head-Fi mess"?

Some hardware crashed and it caused people hardships. If someone won't exist because of that, it appears that others need a better backup plan besides the servers.

I can understand a vendor or sponsor being hit in the pocketbook because of this, but a member can hardly claim devastation and Armageddon. Like this site, Head-Fi is a resource, and it should be treated like expendable cash, it can go away at anytime. It has proved to be a valuable asset for many seeking answers and entertainment, but tsunamis, San Diego fires, and tornados should be taken more seriously.

What does this mean, "to all that's involved in the Head-Fi mess"?

Some hardware crashed and it caused people hardships. If someone won't exist because of that, it appears that others need a better backup plan besides the servers.

I can understand a vendor or sponsor being hit in the pocketbook because of this, but a member can hardly claim devastation and Armageddon. Like this site, Head-Fi is a resource, and it should be treated like expendable cash, it can go away at anytime. It has proved to be a valuable asset for many seeking answers and entertainment, but tsunamis, San Diego fires, and tornados should be taken more seriously.

I don't think "mess" connotes "devastation" or "Armageddon". I'm not quite sure where you got that from.

Looking forward to head-fi coming back up. Losing PMs will be painful though...

I regularly wipe my PMs so this isn't a big deal for me. What I'm really, really looking forward to is having the marketplace back. I am a junkie for marketplace browsing. Not even buying, just the browsing I love.

Jude posted this 15 minutes ago...

I've contacted the Sponsors to let them know we're shooting for a 2007-11-23 re-launch (tonight). I think that's a realistic goal at this point.

Other than what I've already mentioned, what might you notice that is still glitchy? Some of the icons/images might be broken or old (we'll work on fixing those shortly). Some fixed links might be pointing to the wrong threads (for the reasons I mentioned in prior posts regarding URLs changing, based on how we had to re-build Head-Fi's forums). There may be other minor glitchese (and I hope any left are minor) that we'll see along the way, and fix as we come across them.

Other than that, we're feeling pretty good about a late night / early morning re-launch.

I miss you all, and I thank you for the supportive messages and posts. I can't say it enough: I'm very sorry about this outage. We are already working on re-configuring everything to do all we can to eliminate the likelihood of this ever happening again, and will be back at the datacenter tonight, to that end.

I hope to see you guys back on Head-Fi.org late tonight!

Best Regards,

Jude

I regularly wipe my PMs so this isn't a big deal for me. What I'm really, really looking forward to is having the marketplace back. I am a junkie for marketplace browsing. Not even buying, just the browsing I love.

On most boards I delete PMs after I receive them. If it's important, I save it locally.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you. :tinfoilhat: ;D

Good news. x2

Ah, I like window-shopping too and the marketplace is a superb place to do so.

I only delete the PMs which have no real use any more and save those that contain valuable information or particularly meaningful conversations.

I only delete the PMs which have no real use any more and save those that contain valuable information or particularly meaningful conversations.

Same here. I hope they get all the pm's back, I was saving a whole bunch from some dude from Indonesia that sold me some Ety's and they came brand new from Etymotic here in the US, turns out he was buying them with stolen CC's and he put me down as the buyer.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, the head-fi "mess" was about what was happening now. I wasn't claiming any devastation/armageddon/natural disasters. My message was thanks for working hard to get the mess sorted out.

I don't understand what's so difficult about that.

OK Then my sincerest apologies. I thought you were being sarcastic and berating anyone who had anything to do with the site going down.

I guess it comes from so much negativity here being aimed at Head-Fi.

Sorry for the mis-understanding. If you step back and read it as an outsider, then you could see it could have been taken the wrong way, mostly because of the "looks like I won't even exist" comment.

As they said in Monty Python's Holy Grail, "Sah-ree!"