Squeezebox Duet

xand1x

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to marketing folks at Slim/Logitech, the SB3 is NOT being discontinued and has no replacement planned for the foreseeable future.

If you already have a transporter/squeezebox, you could buy the remote (aka Squeezebox Controller) for $299, which in itself is a mini-squeezebox inside the remote with it's own wifi, wolfson dac, linux os, etc. There's even a headphone jack on the remote (disactivated until someone writes some software for it). It can control any squeezebox on the network or all of them at once via the remote.

When I saw the $299 price for the remote my reaction was WTF were they thinking, but as they described what the remote is made of what potential it has, the price isn't as hard to swallow, but still just as expensive as another squeezebox...

It should eventually be a battery powered portable squeezebox.

If you already have a transporter/squeezebox, you could buy the remote (aka Squeezebox Controller) for $299, which in itself is a mini-squeezebox inside the remote with it's own wifi, wolfson dac, linux os, etc. There's even a headphone jack on the remote (disactivated until someone writes some software for it). It can control any squeezebox on the network or all of them at once via the remote.

So, I can use this in my bedroom instead of buying a second unit, but if it's just the remote, where would there be outputs to hook it up to a headphone amp?

Are you sure the remote has a Wolfson DAC in it, because with WiFi in the remote then you wouldn't need the receiver at all.

It doesn't say in the specs on the SD site that it contains a DAC or outputs other than an unusable headphone jack.

The info for the controller was on the website late last night/early this morning. But you're right, it is not listed there now.

Here's a post from Mike at Logitech..

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=254731&postcount=43

I would imagine the only output would be from the current inactive headphone jack. For the bedroom, I'd almost keep the squeezebox instead, it can also function as clock/alarm clock as well (if you have some speakers in the room).

That's what I don't understand. I mean, if you're gonna market a product as having a headphone jack or show in photos, it damn better be working. Logitech is huge company, couldn't they find an offshorer who could write some code to active that output? If it's wired with opamps through the headphone output, they obviously put the effort of designing the circuit, did they even test to see if it works.

It must be more difficult than I (or they) imagine to get that output working, or had too many bugs or issues, battery life, etc that they omitted it from this release.

I guess it's an 'open source' bonus thing they're trying to do.

I like it. My main gripe with the Transporter and SB, both of which I tried and abandoned is that I have to go up to it or access a PC to actually see what it's doing. And accessing a PC is obviously redundant as the PC itself can be the source (as it is now). The problem with that approach of course is that you either have to embrace the certain audio software related limitations with the Mac Mini + Front Row, or spend significantly more building a silent Media Center with better / faster functionality.

I looked at the Sonos system but it didn't fit into my needs. This looks like a humdinger if the UI is zippy.

• 2 years later...

Breathe thread, BREATHE! And its ALIVE! :D

I'm looking into getting a digital transport to stream to my DAC, and be easily controllable from the couch. I've done a little bit of research, and the Squeezebox Duet seems to tick the key boxes - and 2.5 years ago, people seemed to think it was the shiznit.

So I'm just wondering whether people think it is still a good buy? Any limitations I should be aware of? Any major competitors I should consider?

Thanks! :)

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I had certainly considered those, but many factors work against them...... I don't use iTunes for anything except loading my iPod Classic, music is all FLAC, my DAC only has a spare coax connection, don't want to have to have TV on for just music (with the AppleTV) or don't want to buy another iPod to get a remote (with the Express).

I'd suggest you consider the Touch, as it has better analog + Digital outs plus a color touch screen.

I/R Remote for couch control.

If you already have a smartphone / netbook then you can use the web interface , or one of the dedicated control apps over local wi-fi.

The Stereophile review of the touch is now online Stereophile: Logitech Squeezebox Touch network music player

other good reviews were

The Absolute Sound Logitech Squeezebox Touch (TAS 206) | AVguide

Or an aussie one Logitech Squeezebox Touch Music Player

Check the recent posts on our very own thread http://www.head-case.org/forums/home-source-components/7065-squeezebox-touch.html

The wiki Squeezebox Touch - SqueezeboxWiki

or the many posts on the forum Squeezebox Touch - Squeezebox : Community : Forums

Bottom line - great digital transport with couch control potential ....

I had originally discounted the Touch because I don't have a smartphone, iTouch/iPhone/iPad, or netbook, and the included remote seemed inadequate.

But seeing all the upgrades from the Duet...... hi-res support, reading from USB drivers etc. certainly makes the Touch a bit more compelling. At the very least, queuing up a playlist on the device before parking my arse isn't exactly a huge inconvenience.

The controller part of the Duet works with the Touch ( or any other SB player) - but then the combo is pricier than your original intent.

The controller is a decent bit of kit - but the world has moved on, economies of scale mean other devices are more capable for the same price

You don't need a smart-phone per-se- just a wi-fi enabled device to use on the network

So maybe a bargain used nokia 770, N800, N810 or N880 might fit the bill, or one of the new iPod touches running the iPeng app, and its a multi functional / multi tasking device,

so you could play Angry Birds, or Plants vs Zombies while you listen ....

You could even be extravagant and get two touches , one hooked up to you dac, one to act as a touch screen controller for the other (it uses the same UI elements as the controller, and you can decide which device you want to control ....)

Lots of flexibility - you just need to decide what bests fits your use case and budget ...