Mayberry on Acid -- Meet Impressions

tyrion

Sorry for the late reply but I really needed those 12 hours of sleep. The SR-007 isn't for everybody as they don't add too much color of their own.

I'm sure the ES1 and 2 sounds good but do they have enough power for the two Stax phones to fully break away. We are talking about the two things that go mixed up in the Rudistor thread on HF, i.e. technical ability and how it sounds. The stock BH works fine for the SR-Omega but needs more power for the SR-007 so it needs a better PSU, bigger CCS and maybe some new output tubes. It sounds great now but there is always something missing.

Yeah, how much do tickets to Iceland run these days? :D

So I need to start planning an electrostatic meet soon, huh? ;D The 4070 is one hell of an headphone and I would certainly rate it on par with the HE90, HE60 (each with own strengths) with only the SR-Omega and SR-007 doing better. It's analytical without ever becoming sterile and the lack of bass bloom makes it very easy to discern the smallest note. At 700gr they sure are heavy but very comfortable although I wished Stax had designed some Lambda style leather pads for them. :P

depends on whether you stow away in the wheel wells :)

it might be worth it, though, because i might meet Bjork!

Her summerhouse is close to ours so you could have a place to rest nearby while stalking... :D

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick hits (as in I just got up, have things to do, but want to drop a couple impressions in before I forget them):

Overall: There was such a glut of over-the-top gear available, after a couple hours, I lost interest in evaluating, weighing anything, but just enjoyed.

Headphones:

Disappointments: HF1s, MS1s (again), Sextetts. I'd never heard the HF-1s and was looking forward to checking them out. Bah. Same with MS1s. Nice headphones, but when compared to most anything else, they lacked more than offered. I'd never heard the Sextetts, and tried them out with the Cooter amp. I understand why people like them, but the K340s do the same, but better. I didn't find them much different than the plain ole 240s they have in Barnes and Noble (at least in my area). Good, but there's much better out there.

Surprises: ATH-AD2000. I'd heard these before, liked them, but thought nothing special and a bit too airy and thin. Wrongo. Of course, having Ironbut's R2R and the ZanaDeux feeding them didn't hurt. I wish I'd brought these around to other setups just to hear how they responded to the different sources/amps. L3000s. I've enjoyed these every time I've heard them, but not to the point of wanting them. Listening to them out of Frank's beasty amp was one of my aha moments. Just wow. Edition 9s. Okay, I was listening to them balanced with Al's rig, but I can no longer say they totally suck. They're still a bit too thick and funny sounding in the midrange, and have too much bass for my tastes, but I'll admit to enjoying them, even if I wouldn't want to own them. K340s. I own them, but don't really listen to them much, and have been planning on selling them. Guzziguy has nearly my identical rig, but sitting down with them on his reminded me why I got them and kept them in the first place. They were even better balanced on Al's rig. Not sure why this surprised me, but it did. I really like these headphones, especially for the midrange and presentation of vocals.

Meets are great for reminding you that headphones, if they're any good to begin with, are so system dependent, it's almost impossible to judge what others are saying about them unless you know their rigs. No suprises there, but with the level of sources and amps at this meet, it's got me reconsidering my own opinions about this and that, and my respect for others' opinions, which is never a bad thing.

Toss off stats comments: Neil's rig with the HE90s rules. I've heard the HE90s out of some damn good rigs, but with the NWO, and at one point, the R2R sourcing the ES2, there was nothing I didn't like. Nothing. HE60s out of the same didn't do much for me. With Neil's rig again, I liked the he 1.2s better than the Senn HE60s, and I really liked the O2 MKIIs on every rig I tried. I'm one of those that really really like the O2MKII presentation, but it won't grab you like other stats, and probably, due to meet conditions, didn't impress folks as much as the Chinese stats. If you put on the 1.2s (I didn't listen to the 1.3s), you think wowza right off the bat: clean, clear, forward (almost punchy), and fun. If you give the O2s the same one or two song, they'll seem too gentle and muted in comparison, but sit back for a time with no group of loud gabbers near you, and they're so gorgeous, giving tremendous depth and texture to the music that I found missing in the Lambdas, HE60s, and definitely in the he 1.2s. Why why why didn't I spend time with the 4070s :'( . I had them on for a minute, but there were too many people gabbing nearby, and I never got back with them. I have no interest in going stats right now, but if I could, I'd get the O2s, based on the little that I've heard so far.

Fav moments: Al's SDS-XLR (sourced by his emm labs, Neil's NWO, and Nate's Hersten's dac). Best 650 moments I've every heard (emm and Hersten's), and best 600 moment (NWO). Foo_me's emm labs/Zanden/cage mod K1000s (I found the jp blossom's naked K1000s too harsh). Frank Cooter's rig with Hp1s, K1000s, L3000s. I spent the majority of the meet attached to this system. Ironbut's R2R/Zana Deux/AD2000s. Gorgeous. Neil's ES2/HE90s (sourced by his NWO and the R2R). And funny how in the middle of all this ultra high-end gluttony, a little moment with Bigguy's mini3 and my Yuin Pk1s made me perfectly happy, and Fallenangel's little PPAS with the ESW9s did the same.

That's it for now. I'd add some detail to some of these impressions and drop in some more later on.

Some more pics from the Mayberry Meet.

First up, the lovely Stax 4070, which really caught my ear. I think this might be the one to get. If spritzer or anybody else has heard them through the SRM-1 MkII amp I would love to hear how it sounds. I am sure I will scale up eventually but if that amp can power ok for now I might just get a pair.

Stax 4070

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

Frank Cooter's amazing amp. Already well-documented but what the heck. Frank is just setting up in the first couple and then there are some beauty shots. People have pointed out that he sourced it with an Audio Alchemy transport and Audio Note DAC. Of course the giant GM70 tubes and mercury vapor rectifiers with their blue fog have caught people's attention, but the woodwork, brass, and those awesome radiation symbol lights on the PS units all really contribute to the aesthetic of this beautiful setup. I wish I had a pic of the funky power supply under the table that I was sure was burning a hole in the carpet. It was cool, and there was no hole in the carpet which my wife thinks is cool

IMG_0377.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

The "Nate Maher Stack" was part of the K1000 room setup as well. Nate's PS for my SB3 and Hertsens Signature DAC were feeding my Moth and Equinoxed K1000s. It was a great sound and we pumped in a little Goldfrapp in Nate's honor to kick off the listening. Iron_Dreamer thought that Goldfrapp did not show off the K1000's best attributes, but I enjoyed the moment immensely. :D We also used that crappy DVD player as a transport into the Hertsens, which sounded good but did not have the Nate flair.

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

Here was Johnny Blossoms' rig for the day. It comprised a Walker TT into the very nice sounding Eddie Current prototype phono stage in a RedTop case, then into the amazing Eddie Current HD2 and finally into a collection of balanced cans such as the RS-1 and HP-2 that spent the day hanging on the coat rack when not on somebody's cranium. JP's hard drive was groaning like an old man with gall stones so we didn't have the Duet in action. Much smaller than expected but that ridiculous breakout cable has got to go. Nice of Nate to whip one up for Mike the Ingrate. He'll sell the whole thing in a week or two, you know that, right Nate? At the Florida meet I gave him a nice pair of Ken-Rad black glass 6SN7s and he SOLD them to mikeymad with his WA5. What a bitch! :rant:

IMG_0397.jpg

And then there was the coronation... Not every meet can boast the crowning of a queen, but we were honored to honor Vicki, aka boomana, aka Queen Victoria, with a ceremony inducting her as Head-Fier of the Year for 2007. We were all eating pizza and other treats picked up from Mauro's Pasta in Fairfax while her unsuspecting highness was listening to every portable setup in the place. You can see her momentary shyness followed by regal proclamations about misuse of portable amplifiers and Head-Fi etiquette points in this little photo essay. My apologies for the odd colors and poor focus but I had set the camera to no flash and forgot about it until the next day...:o

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0392.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

If you give the O2s the same one or two song, they'll seem too gentle and muted in comparison, but sit back for a time with no group of loud gabbers near you, and they're so gorgeous, giving tremendous depth and texture to the music that I found missing in the Lambdas, HE60s, and definitely in the he 1.2s.

well-said.

Speaking of the next day, we made our way to a couple more brew-pubs and had some beers and fine food before the Super Bowl took over the afternoon. First stop was Russian River Brewing Company in Santa Rosa.

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

We had Pliny the Elder:

IMG_0409.jpg

and Pliny the Younger:

IMG_0407.jpg

And eventually, Pliny the Empty:

IMG_0415.jpg

There was plenty of jocularity, as always with this crowd. Lots of stories of pit stops and park stops and the like. As xand1x points out, there were a lot of geezers on this trip, and their bladders are showing signs of wear. They could easily drink your ass under the table any day, though, and they do have better gear than you. :dance:

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

We also kept up with our posting. Vicki did it on her hand-held, and I called in my posts to my Net-Butler who put them up for me.

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

Although seemingly innocent, Iron-Dreamer turned evil and delivered a crushing karate-metal-chop to immtbiker's left arm for no fucking reason! :stick: It was ugly and Aaron is going to have to switch hands for awhile, if you know what I mean. . .

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

Next stop on the Magical Mystery Tour was Marin Brewing Company where thrice had been dumped by the Marin Airporter after his flight was "cancelled" according to him. Although some might speculate he was after the Blondes (why is that one woman handing him money and looking so angry at the same time?), mostly I think that he was dead set on making it to the last stop of the day, pictured below.

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

OK, thrice's real reason for returning was found here:

In-N-OutSign.jpg

Double-Double Animal Style with a side of Animal Fries and a shake. He believed that Jesus himself whipped up his heavenly dream-come-true treat.

437215913_f26947b8e2_o.jpg

daily_sep23_05_fries.jpg

inout_shake.jpg

First up, the lovely Stax 4070, which really caught my ear. I think this might be the one to get. If spritzer or anybody else has heard them through the SRM-1 MkII amp I would love to hear how it sounds. I am sure I will scale up eventually but if that amp can power ok for now I might just get a pair.

I have a late model SRM-1 Mk2 P-P sitting in Japan and I'll try it with the 4070 as soon as I get it. The 4070 is tough to drive (much like the Sigmas) but I do like them out of every amp I've used them with. They don't turn all dark and bloated as the SR-007 and Sigmas. I even used them for a month or so out of the puny little SRM-Xh (predecessor to the SRM-212 and 252 amps) in my computer rig and I didn't find anything missing.

well-said.

Ditto.

Did any of you guys get a chance to listen to some of the mid-fi sources? (Lavry DA10, Transporter, etc) I mean I completely understand if you didn't. In the presence of that NWO Esoteric I probably wouldn't either :P Just curious about how much better they are. Probably difficult to measure when not used on the same rig though..

Well, they certainly are better, and it's difficult to describe to someone who hasn't heard it for themselves. I was certainly skeptical that higher end sources could do a CD that much more justice, but they can. Is it worth the cost, strictly from a price/performance ratio? Probably not, outside of getting a used Emm Labs DAC, or the like for <$4k. But as long as one can afford it, there's no reason not to.

Nice of Nate to whip one up for Mike the Ingrate. He'll sell the whole thing in a week or two, you know that, right Nate? At the Florida meet I gave him a nice pair of Ken-Rad black glass 6SN7s and he SOLD them to mikeymad with his WA5. What a bitch! :rant:

Yeah, I know all to well about Mike and Capt.#'s gear-whore syndrome. I'm ok with it and can't complain since I've been the beneficiary. :)

And I'm just happy that I got the prototype of the cable done, one less thing that ALO can claim to have "invented'. >:D Our man grawk can report how it works out later this week and then we'll go into production in the next week or so.

OMFG, MOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOT

What are the top three system at the meet guys?

That is a tough one Purk because there were so many great rigs. Going from a strictly personal preference standpoint, I guess I would rank something like this:

1. My SDS-XLR with Neil's NWO 3.0G. I'm still a dynamic guy at heart, and hearing what that rig did with the HD650/Equinox, HD600/Wyvern, K701/Black Dragon, and Ed.9 (all balanced of course), really melted my heart. I don't think I will replace my EMM SE stack soon with the NWO, but man is it godly.

2. Ironbutt's Technics R2R with Bottlehead tape stage into the ES-2 with HE90s was the most amazing experience even though I didn't have a chance to sink into it for long. Replacing the R2R with the NWO doesn't drop down the analog-ness nearly as much as with probably any other digital source, but there is such a body and realness to the R2R sound that it is incredible. So I guess I would say the NW0 into ES-2 was probably at 2.5 on this top 3. The moral of this story is that the NWO and R2R should be heard with all of the top rigs to really see where the greatest synergy is. Ironbutt's own ZanaDeux/AD2000 rig has amazing synergy at that price level and clearly indicated where that R2R could scale to. Slapping it into the ES-2/HE90, etc. rig simply proved it.

3. Frank Cooter's Audio Alchemy/Audio Note source into his DIY masterpiece with the HP-1s, and to a lesser extent with the K1000, was a revelation. I just cannot get over the fact that he sets about to build a system around a headphone (RS-1 previously) and produces these strokes of genius. Very impressed, which I and others told him repeatedly on Saturday. The K1000s with stock cable into a 1/4 jack really had a handicap in my book. We discussed putting speaker taps and a 4-pin XLR in place of the 1/4 so maybe the next time we see/hear this rig it will truly knock the snot out of the other K1000 options.

Now this top 3 leaves out some spectacular rigs. Min's EMM SE/Zanden/K1K rig still amazes. JP's Walker TT (his 3d class vinyl rig) into the EC HD2 was awesome with RS-1s and especially HP-2s. Mikeymad's ES-1 and WA5 setups had to be separate for power reasons (although my old house held up damn well without so much as a flicker) but both were great. blessingx's balanced B22 with Transporter and his usual Lavry were great. My own SDS-XLR/EMM SE setup ranks very highly for me, of course, but the NWO outshined it as I knew it would. bobcn's new RWA 30.2 upgrade was an outstanding improvement on the K1Ks, and whereas I used to think it sounded good but underpowered it now has much more body and pure balls to drive the cans. Great upgrade -- Vinnie should be applauded on that one. Many other great setups were everywhere, and I cannot even think of them all as I sit here.

CanJam had better be on peoples' to-do lists because it will be epic beyond all proportions.

Yeah, I know all to well about Mike and Capt.#'s gear-whore syndrome. I'm ok with it and can't complain since I've been the beneficiary. :)

And I'm just happy that I got the prototype of the cable done, one less thing that ALO can claim to have "invented'. >:D Our man grawk can report how it works out later this week and then we'll go into production in the next week or so.

OMFG, MOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOT

MOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOT

>:D >:D>:D >:D>:D >:D>:D

What are the top three system at the meet guys?

You mean besides mine, right? :angel: Here are my picks for the top three systems:

• Frank Cooter's DIY amp, Audio Alchemy/AN Dac1, HP-1
  • neilvg's fantasic electrostat setup, especially with HE90
  • Voltron's SDS-XLR with pretty much every dynamic headphone except AKG K340. They sound better on my system. That's good because that's what I have. Oh yeah, the Sony CD3000 doesn't sound great on it either. Every other dynamic headphone I've tried sounds better though.