Mayberry on Acid -- Meet Impressions

tyrion

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vicki looks very matronly there :)

It's the new reading glasses.

Gene's O2mk2/007tmk2 sound nice. I find the O2mk2 more comfortable than the O2. I don't have the O2 here to do a comparison. That will have to wait until Saturday assuming we ever leave Houston. Our initial flight was 6:30 pm Central time. We then got on a 9 pm flight that is delayed until 11:20 pm.

It's the new reading glasses.

Gene's O2mk2/007tmk2 sound nice. I find the O2mk2 more comfortable than the O2. I don't have the O2 here to do a comparison. That will have to wait until Saturday assuming we ever leave Houston. Our initial flight was 6:30 pm Central time. We then got on a 9 pm flight that is delayed until 11:20 pm.

Man, that sucks. Sorry to hear that the travel plans are so hosed up. And don't let that penguin dude hog the DAC this time. :)

Too much amazing gear to begin to talk about. One post for now: seriously amazing K1000 homebrew amp (built last week). This amp uses large Russian GM70 transmitting triodes as output tubes. GM70s are driven by 6BX7 television vertical amplifier tubes from the early 1960s The two tubes are coupled by interstage transformers. It uses dual high-voltage power supplies, using mercury-vapor rectifiers run into LCLCLC filters. The GM70 filaments are powered by a standard industrial "brute force" power supply. Per the builder, Frank Cooter, the circuit is straight out of 1937. All I can say is it sounds damn good with the K1000s, beautifully natural with a smooth high end (loosing that sometimes digital feel the K1000s treble gives), and beefy, but clean bottom end.

The builder and his amp:

DSCN1079.jpg

I haven't yet had time with the famed emm labs/zanden combo, but the Cooter amp (it has no name) pretty much blew me away.