Anyone else annoyed by Valentine's day?

gtp

First off, this isn't a sour-grapes thing - I'm married. Valentine's day is a completely moronic "special" day. Isn't love supposed to be sincere, spontaneous, and distinctly expressed between the couple in love? How do $60 roses and a contrived card really express any kind of true feelings?

Anyway, maybe I'm really just annoyed because I have to stop at the drugstore on the way home to buy a card.

Guest DevilMayCry

I forgot where I heard this from, but I believe that Valentine's Day was manufactured by greeting card companies to reap in some extra money. Honestly I'm annoyed too because I have to walk to Safeway or something to buy flowers as a request from my father because he isn't here to do so. :rock:

I haven't celebrated Valentines day since... the first year I started going out with my girlfriend, back in 2003. Shit, last year, I took her to White Castle. That's what's up baby.

This year though, she said she didn't want to do anything, I said ok. Then last minute plans with some friends to take a roadtrip this weekend come up and she's upset that I'm not going to spend time with her on Saturday. =T Now I'm scrounging to figure something out for tomorrow.

If I see one more "show your love with diamonds" commercial I'm going to puke. Because the giving of shiny rocks which were mined with slave labour in 3rd world shithole countries by companies which make Halliburton look saintly is a true show of love. ::)

Haha so true.. Blood Diamonds was a good movie imho that was about that. I don't see those commercials here much and it's the same with BOSE ads. I was very surprised when I went to the States and saw one on like every bus stop and numerous billboards.

Hey George, just get her this home gym like I did for my wife. She'll love you for it. :angel:

Hmmm, I think I'll stick with chocolate. My wife would seriously kick my ass if I got her exercise equipment for any occasion.

Anyway, sorry for my immature first post. I was just in a bitching mood. I feel much better now ;D.

Forget all the fancy schmancy equipment, give the gift of gaming with Wii Fit! :dance:

(But seriously, this is a great way to get into getting into shape. Yoga, muscle stretches/training, aerobics, and body balance all rolled into one.)

Actually, that's a pretty good idea - my wife likes gaming more than I do...

Yep....I still have no clue want to do today. I probably will get her some of her favorites dessert and have a nice dinner some where. :)

I have no problem with a dedicated day to show appreciation for our signifitant others.

Very well said Tom. Hope you guys have a great time.:)

For the first time in 25 years, Valentine's Day is important to me. I used to think of it as a Hallmark day, but this time my heart is going out to someone, and the day feels just right. No $60 flowers (I would, but in the circumstances it would not be good), just a little token of my feelings for a certain someone. Be cyinical but in 50 years of living I've not felt this way about a woman, and she deserves to be acknowleged. So here's to Beeswing. I'm trying my best to make her happy.

For the first time in 25 years, Valentine's Day is important to me. I used to think of it as a Hallmark day, but this time my heart is going out to someone, and the day feels just right. No $60 flowers (I would, but in the circumstances it would not be good), just a little token of my feelings for a certain someone. Be cyinical but in 50 years of living I've not felt this way about a woman, and she deserves to be acknowleged. So here's to Beeswing. I'm trying my best to make her happy.

Congrats. Enjoy the day and I hope you continue to feel the way you do today.

Update:

I bought a card at Hallmark last night on the way home from work. When I got home, my wife told me she invited her parents and Canadian cousins over for dinner tonight :). I don't think she remembers that it is Valentine's day, so I am most definitely off the hook ;D. I will buy her some flowers and chocolate next week.

I always looked at V-day as a easy excuse to let all the women in my life know they are appreciated and i thank them for being themselves..this includes every woman from my mom to my friends. the hard part about being a guy is having the "excuse" to drop your bad ass image and tell the everyday chicks what they are to you without having them think you wanna Fuck them...like friends for example. if i say the stuff on any other day of the year they think "he wants me" where on this day they don't.

i never had a problem with v-day cause i feel women deserve a hell of a lot more then a silly day for them, hell if i had to deal with the shit they do i would want at least a week of strait this.

a few v-days in the past i would go crazy if the girl was something important to me at the time, but i try these days to let any women know how much they are to me everyday of the year...well as much as i can without being a complete pussy about it..i still have some ego here.

then again if i was born on Nov 17th then i must be a Valentine baby so..