HP1000 vs. L3000 (now with head size discussion!)

recstar24

Well....nice to know that you have the option. I can't think of any headphone beside the R10 that is built better than the L3000. The L3000 is very well built. It is also luxurious but the magnesium frame is pretty tough to beat. You are pretty lucky about the confort on those HP1000s. I cound't wear them for more than 20 mins. I love the HP1000 too.

Yeah I agree in fact I think I actually find the HP1000's slightly more comfortable than the RS-1's believe it or not. It actually sits better and is more firm without causing any discomfort whatsoever. However I do have a humongo head and my ears are like bat ears as they are pretty huge (fitted hat size = 7 3/4 I think).

Here's a pic from my wedding ceremony so you get an idea of my melon.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2306&g2_serialNumber=1&g2_GALLERYSID=ce3fed4ea22c2f59728ede3603d717ce

As you can see my head is about 2x the size of my wife's head. With a head like mine grados just happen to be very comfortable, the more metal the better.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I agree in fact I think I actually find the HP1000's slightly more comfortable than the RS-1's believe it or not. It actually sits better and is more firm without causing any discomfort whatsoever. However I do have a humongo head and my ears are like bat ears as they are pretty huge (fitted hat size = 7 3/4 I think).

Here's a pic from my wedding ceremony so you get an idea of my melon.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2306&g2_serialNumber=1&g2_GALLERYSID=ce3fed4ea22c2f59728ede3603d717ce

As you can see my head is about 2x the size of my wife's head. With a head like mine grados just happen to be very comfortable, the more metal the better.

nice pic! you both look happy. :)

i have a big head to, which greatly affects my affinity for Grados. RS-1s with flats are about as comfortable as it gets for me.

I did have some comfort issues with the HP2 though, mainly due to the weight.

christ, you're head is as big as mine. i pity you. getting fitted baseball caps is a chore.

Ummm...I don't even bother with fitted hats, more or less hats in general. I think its weird when you have an adjustable cap, and the strap is on its last rung and it barely fits. I don't bother.

Yes, I didn't mention that I prefer several electrostats, the R10, Qualia, K1000 and maybe a few others more than the L3000 or HP-2.

...I don't think the HP-2 ranks with the top electrostats or dynamics, to me it is RS-1, K701 or HD650 level (single-ended amp).

Dang, HP2 same level as K701/HD650? Are you drunk as you type this? ;D

I would personally put HP2 a couple levels above, but for some reason I *really* like extremely neutral solid state amps for HP1000's, though I'm usually a tube lover.

As far as 'stats, looks like people will have to stick to the usual expensive suspects for now, as the $1000 HEAudio one so far is not parting the Red Sea...

img5683cs3.jpg

I would personally put HP2 a couple levels above, but for some reason I *really* like extremely neutral solid state amps for HP1000's, though I'm usually a tube lover.

As far as 'stats, looks like people will have to stick to the usual expensive suspects for now, as the $1000 HEAudio one so far is not parting the Red Sea...

img5683cs3.jpg

Nice picture of the HE Audio headphone, that looks like the best pair so far.

We'll expect before and after pics too. Congratulations Ryan! :prettyprincess:

Sure! Man, I used to be a freak about lettering but it really looks darn sexy without it.

Before:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2299&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=ce3fed4ea22c2f59728ede3603d717ce

After:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2324&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=ce3fed4ea22c2f59728ede3603d717ce

And I got a 2nd set coming in Friday, oh lordy :D I am listening to #1 right now and damn its like being reunited with an old friend. Acoustic memory is failing me though as I don't remember the standard cable being able to sound this dynamic with great extension, #2 coming in has the ultrawide. Headsup, I just put up #1 for sale on HF but if anyone is interested hit me up, I don't mind having HC priority.

I'd say the HP-2 is definitely above the K701/HD650 level, it's somewhere around the RS-1. In some areas the HP is better, in others the RS edges ahead, and in most areas they're both well ahead of the K701/650.

I'd say the HP-2 is definitely above the K701/HD650 level, it's somewhere around the RS-1. In some areas the HP is better, in others the RS edges ahead, and in most areas they're both well ahead of the K701/650.

Yes, but not when you pair up the HD-650 with great amp. The HP-2 is pretty sweet sounding but when you give enough power behind the HD-650, they are pretty tough to beat at any price.

I disagree. Good amps for grados are a far rarer breed then good amps for hd-650's.

Biggie.

Probably. But from my experience, the HD-650 balanced out of SDS-XLR was head and shoulder above balanced PS-1, and RS-1 out of the same amp. The best I've heard the HP-2 was out of the Melos Sha Gold Ref and SP SDS, still I prefer the HD-650 over the HP2.