What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Compared the Oppo BDP-83 with the BDP-83SE upgrade. It should be said that there was only 1 hour of burn-in on the newer one, and at least a hundred -- if not hundreds -- on the old one.
I should also mention that we had to ramp down the volume on the SE quite a bit (40%, IIRC) in order to volume match it with the old one, and that should theoretically be happening in the digital domain (which, theoretically, is bad), and could account for the slight lack of smoothness. Didn't feel like taking the time to find two of the exact same amp or something.

Me: had dinner with my sister -- that's always nice.

Edited by Dusty Chalk

What? There's a Roscoe's in Chicago? Maybe we can have one in SoFla....

Frustrating day. Dealt with bad employee, then Haiti had earthquake. My coworker, who happens to run a charity down there with our fixer is ready to go, but the company in its infinite wisdom decided to send somebody from LA (where the new centralized international desk is.) So, I'm making arrangements to move somebody from New York freakin City (which last I checked is about 1500 miles farther from Haiti than we are) instead of our guy. Granted the LA person is one of the best two or three people in the world, but our guy ain't chopped liver. And he has a collapsed orphanage with 20 twenty now out-of-doors orphans who might appreciate a visit about now. This sucks.

Broke my vacuum cleaner. Which is a problem, because I have a majorly crumb-scattering toddler.

Which reminds me.

Thanks, guys. I'll probably be shooting some of you PMs for info as it gets closer to the due date. I'm excited and I will say some of the baby gears look wicked cool.
Congratulations! Add me to the list of people you can ping for suggestions, or, really, start the Gear Recs For Newborns thread -- there's no shortage of material.

Shortlist of our gear:

- Baby Bjorn worked for us. She haaated the sling.

- Love the Maxi-Cosi infant car seat system. Ultra secure, easy to snap the base into the car and know that it's in securely.

- Graco infant car seat was perfectly good, but way more work to get really, really securely into the car.

- Stokke Xplory is our around-town stroller. It's great but a pain to get into the car.

- Quinny Zapp is our travel stroller. Very nice.

- If I had to make the stroller decision over again I'd be looking hard at Quinny Buzz. Most of the benefits of the Xplory but easier fold/unfold when it goes in the car. And Maxi-Cosi car seats and Quinny strollers interoperate.

- Stokke Sleepi crib.

- Forgot which brand of breast pump...but the expensive-but-effective one. Had to get an emergency backup pump one night when nothing but Target was open, and tried the second-best brand. Slow and awful. Don't do it, get first-best.

And the who-woulda-guessed? award goes to possibly our favourite piece of gear of them all, the Stokke Care changing table. Comfortable working height, solidly built, plenty of storage, attractive. Never imagined we'd feel so much affection for a changing table. Oh, and it turns into a desk or bookshelf when she's older.

Last night, actually, but took delivery of Concept2 rowing machine and put the damn thing together. Was fully planning on using it but that didn't happen as UPS didn't deliver it until past 8pm. I've never had UPS deliver so late.

Congrats. Enjoy it. That is probably the best overall aerobic workout there is.

Oh, and it turns into a desk or bookshelf when she's older.

No it doesn't. Because you, like all of us, will go Office Space on it in the backyard with a bat when your last kid is potty trained at last and then gleefully dance around its funeral pyre singing the "No More Shitty Diapers" song.

No it doesn't. Because you, like all of us, will go Office Space on it in the backyard with a bat when your last kid is potty trained at last and then gleefully dance around its funeral pyre singing the "No More Shitty Diapers" song.
Possibly a valid point. Can't speak from experience. But after the ritual torching I'd likely have to get another and make it into a desk before Mrs. episiarch finds out. So I still claim, it turns into a desk.

Edit: but that is pretty much how Mrs. e felt about the breast pump (AKA The Noisy Machine) once that was done with. So maybe she'd understand.

So what you guys are saying is to skip the changing table? ;)

We got a pack and play with a changing table built in to keep down stairs. We also had a dresser up stairs that had a changing pad built into the top. I wouldn't have wanted to go without either. That said, the P&P never got used as such (Lily hated it) but she did sleep in the changing section of it for a while when she refused to sleep in her crib. Nowadays we just lay a pad on the floor to change her.

Skip changing altogether. Let the kid go au naturale! Probably just as much clean-up work as all the diapers. We were nuts and used cloth diapers and a service instead of the plastic poop bombs that have a half-life of 10,000 years in landfills. Not really being preachy, but I detest disposable diapers.

We used mother-ease diapers for the first 3, but the 4th was in disposables, because the cloth ones made her rashy.

We never used a changing table after #1. Just a pad. Kept the little blue foldout pads stashed in the cars, diaper bag, etc.

As to what I did today, I put a spigot and "easy mash" screen on my stock pot to ease all-grain brewing.

Skip changing altogether. Let the kid go au naturale!
I have an auld acquaintance / current Facebook friend who says he does this. At least at night. Child sleeps diaperless, pajamas and crib cover get washed . . . well, pretty often, I would hope, but he didn't actually say. Not clear to me how it's an improvement over diapers. I suspect it's more of a political statement.

We use fancy-schmancy washable diaper systems with the impermeable outer layer and the ultrapermeable inner layer and various degrees of absorbent lining in between, yada-yada, and they're great but you do wind up doing lots of laundry. Takes a little time to reassemble them after washing too, but that can be done while reading Head-Case in the morning or whatever.

Went up in a 135' JLG man lift to look at the roof of a large hanger-like building. Not cool. As the bucket passed over the roof (more than 100' above the pavement), the wind off the river hit me right in the chest and the lift definitely moved more than I was okay with!