What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just returned from a LA Audio Society meeting featuring Paul McGowen demoing his new PS Audio Bridge, the first showing in North America. Paul just returned from Europe where he was touring and showcasing the Bridge to dealers and the public and that is why he could not attend CanJam. The PerfectWave transport and DAC were connected to a EAR Preamp, Monoblocks and Magico M5s, playing a number of 24/174 and redbook files and the system indeed did not suck. >:D

Yeah, football is an odd game in that it is more fun to watch at the non-professional level. It is at its best in little village vs village rivalry games...... more physical contact, more aggressive offence, at least one big punch up, and if the ref doesn't go home in fear for his life it would be disappointing.

I can see how that would be a lot of fun. I saw a hurling match between 2 town teams in Ireland a bunch of years ago. They did not much care for the other side--it was spectacular.

Just returned from a LA Audio Society meeting featuring Paul McGowen demoing his new PS Audio Bridge, the first showing in North America. Paul just returned from Europe where he was touring and showcasing the Bridge to dealers and the public and that is why he could not attend CanJam. The PerfectWave transport and DAC were connected to a EAR Preamp, Monoblocks and Magico M5s, playing a number of 24/174 and redbook files and the system indeed did not suck. >:D

Greg, did the bridge look close to ready for prime time?

Can't say about the looks (if that is what you meant) since it is a pcb/sound card type thingy and I couldn't get close enough to view the back of the unit, not that I would know what I was looking at anyway. As for sound, it is very much ready for prime time, with the caveat that this was at a Audio geek event with a fair amount of ambient geek chatter and a lot of bodies in the room messing with the acoustics. Having said that, and the fact that I was not able to get a seat in the sweet spot, the bridge handled the files/music extremely well. Paul ran the PW Transport Dac and Bridge through their paces using his iPad and the PS Audio iPad apps. Paul said the iTouch and iPhone will work as well but with the smaller screens all the track info, album cover graphics and liner note/bio info will not look as cool. This is definitely something to consider if you are looking for a very cool gui, flexible music source playback, and extreme ease of use.

I can see how that would be a lot of fun. I saw a hurling match between 2 town teams in Ireland a bunch of years ago. They did not much care for the other side--it was spectacular.

Hurling is one of the most brutal games around, and makes Rugby look tame.

Ah - just looked it up to remind myself about this mad game, and they have introduced a number of rules that prevent opponents from maiming the other team, and head guards have to be worn now.

Really impressive, Nate.

Thanks for the encouragement, Al. Yep, it should be fine. Rachel the Wonder Nanny has also secured a room at the Art Centre in case of rain, this in the midst of also buying gifts for Chiara's playmate who just acquired a new sister yesterday, and for the new sister herself. She's sure going to be missed when she disappears to NYC for a week in a few days.

Looks great Nate. By the way, that is a huge lawn.

Thanks guys and gals, it was a lot of fun and I can't wait to get it finished up.

And Shelly, that's just a piece of the lawn. The swingset is just off the back porch and most of what you're seeing in that image is actually my neighbors back yard. This should explain better.

medium.jpg

The first day back at work after my paternity leave. I already want to go home.

I remember that feeling well--it's tough. But it's a good reason to want to go home. What helped me during that transition was the thought that my goal at work was to be super efficient and task-oriented during the day so that I could get the hell out of there at a reasonable hour and get back home to my family.

Drove to gaithersburg for a meeting with the new prime contractor for my contract. Got there, realized meeting is NEXT monday, then drove home.

Classic.

Drove to my trailer two weeks ago and realized I left the keys at home. Made the return trip so I could spend my weekend there.

Ah - all this talk of little ones! Makes me remember it all so well - and to say enjoy every last minute, because they grow up and become adults with a speed that will take your breath away.

My "little one" Lizzie has just phoned from Uganda, where she is doing some voluntary work building schools and wells etc, to tell me she just got her degree results - a 2:1. Those in the UK will understand that terminology. For those not, it is only a few marks short of the highest classification possible.

Needless to say, we're all wondering what to do with ourselves, like dogs with two tails, and Lizzie is absolutely delighted!

So a pretty great day!

Yet again had to talk to my car insurance company regarding the fire damage on my car. Much to my surprise, it has been ruled in my favor so I'll be getting some money for my car (which has been declared a total loss). Now, we get to start looking for economical options for a new car.

Yet again had to talk to my car insurance company regarding the fire damage on my car. Much to my surprise, it has been ruled in my favor so I'll be getting some money for my car (which has been declared a total loss). Now, we get to start looking for economical options for a new car.

I'd think in this economy that you could do quite well shopping used and maybe even new depending on what your budget is.

I'd think in this economy that you could do quite well shopping used and maybe even new depending on what your budget is.

Yeah, that's we're thinking. Our goal is to find something that is economical and safe with good MPG rating - the car will be for my wife (and I'll take her current car) since her commute is a lot longer than mine. Now we just need to finalize the budget after I get home today.

We've been pretty happy with our '07 Camry although the gas mileage has never quite been as good as it should have be. It also absolutely requires snow tires, but I'd say that about most 2wd cars. If I had it to do over again I would have spent a bit more and got the Camry Hybrid. I'll always hate Honda for the new Civic they came out with in '07 which was vastly inferior compared to the predecessor.