What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome, I'll have to check out 2 Amys too (are there actually 2 Amys and are they hot?). For more beer-centric places, I've been to the Brickskeller which was okay - not too much on tap - and sort of the RFD (didn't actually order anything), which has a good selection of beer. For possibly more pizza-centric places, I've been to Ella's wood fired pizza, which has okay pizza but not a very large selection of craft beer. But what they have is good.

2 Amys > Pizzeria Paradiso. They used to have La Chouffe on tap before the Mid Atlantic distributor went tits up. Spent so many afternoons in there. Perfect pizza, perfect beer, perfect happiness. Anyway, the pizza's still good.

Sure, now you tell me (left the city this morning to visit my in-laws in Annapolis). I will put it on the list for the next trip.

the 105 is great.

It is just about my all time favourite, and the only cask strength that I drink without water - straight out of the bottle it is outstanding. But I was going through a list of distilleries earlier today, and was quite suprised how many I had drunk over the years. My wife's auny Jeannie and her husband are lifelong whisky enthusiasts, but the consequence of age has put paid to their tippling. I'm holding out for the hoard of 500 bottles....

Several times in years past I have tried to go drink for drink with Jeannie. That was always a mistake - she had an iron constitution for whisky. I always fell over before she was even tipsy.

It is just about my all time favourite, and the only cask strength that I drink without water - straight out of the bottle it is outstanding. But I was going through a list of distilleries earlier today, and was quite suprised how many I had drunk over the years. My wife's auny Jeannie and her husband are lifelong whisky enthusiasts, but the consequence of age has put paid to their tippling. I'm holding out for the hoard of 500 bottles....

Several times in years past I have tried to go drink for drink with Jeannie. That was always a mistake - she had an iron constitution for whisky. I always fell over before she was even tipsy.

Funny you should mention drinking the Glenfarclas Cask Strength out of the bottle because that is one of my first single-malt memories. A friend gave me a bottle in its wooden box and I ended up taking it on a camping trip with a bunch of people. A small number of us drained the bottle passing it around and shooting straight out of the bottle. Great stuff and a great buzz. Actually did a fair bit of jumping over campfires that night.... :palm:

Finished up my summer job yesterday. Spending the next two weeks (really my last two weeks of break) with my girlfriend in Chicago, Peoria, Iowa... all over the place apparently.

Edited by Aura

Got up at 4, worked, drove 90mph to get to the airport to then sit in the smallest seat I've experienced on a smelly, packed plane filled with shrieking children for over an hour before taking off. Am now finally on my way to my Aunt Judy's rubarb pie while listening to the new Los Lobos cd. Though it will be a miracle if catch my connecting flight thanks to the delay, I'm back to happy for now.

I'm still in Three Forks, MT. Went out for a long drive in the Atom yesterday (426 miles) down to Yellowstone and then back across the Beartooth Highway. Kind of fun climbing those "hills" at about 105mph then braking hard to get around 20mph hairpins, then getting right back on it. I've got a terrible farmer's tan today to prove it.

Three Forks is an amazing place. You can jump in your pickup truck, head into town for lunch, circle back the "long way" stopping at the gas station for a 6 pack (of Diet Coke of course) and end up back at Todd's Junkieland and the pickup still hasn't even thought about clicking off a mile on the odometer. I should visit more places like this.

Sorry about the connecting flight V, but hope there is some strawberry in that rhubarb pie because that is mah favorite. And Wayne, it is so damn true that it is fun to hang out in Three Forks. We had a blast two summers ago even without an Atom.

I have been thinking a lot about the idea of MOA Michigan and it would be so damn fun up here with you fools. The only thing is, the in-laws have to kick the bucket or be out of the way some other way. I am working on it. :)

The pie is strawberry-rhubarb, and I will try to get the recipe since it's one of those family things that has been passed down.

And now for the you-can't-make-stuff-up moment: the catering truck is stuck in the side of the plane I just boarded. At least they put me in first class. I think it's going to be a long night.

And Wayne, it is so damn true that it is fun to hang out in Three Forks. We had a blast two summers ago even without an Atom.

Not to mention the $1,500-ish vinyl order I've been working on all week, and that's with goodguy pricing wherever applicable. About 50 audiophile pressings, mostly classic rock, and another 30 or so standard pressings (but all new and unopened).

I'm listening to the Tom Petty 7 album live set now and it sounds amazing. It's a compilation from over the years, so it picks up all of the good stuff and leaves out the crap usually associated with live albums.

I need to leave here before I go completely broke. It's like be a kid in a nose candy store.

Going to see what happens when I leave my chin hair untrimmed. Hoping for something close to a metal beard, but that's very unlikely. It will probably just end up looking like a couple of pubes growing out of my chin.

Just saying.

Dude. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I can't grow a beard, because it basically looks like pubic hair. I honestly believe I have some Mongolian blood in me. On my dad's side -- he was from Eastern Europe/Western Russia, but farther back in the lineage, I don't see it as completely unfeasible for there to be some East-Asian blood somewhere in there.

I have two pieces of advice:

#1 -- patience -- give it as much fucking time as you can.

#2 -- tease the shit out of it. ("Teasing" has a very specific meaning with hair.)