What did you do today?

riceboy

One of the guys on the space instrument project I'm managing went back to Italy to visit his mother for a few days. Felt a bit unwell and went to the doctor. Bam - cancer. He's 26. Not sure what sort, or what the outcome is, but when it happens to someone who is the same age as my son....

I'm still reeling a bit.

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spent the last three resisting the urge to toss my computer down the stairs at work. It has inexplicably become sluggish and practically unusable for work purposes. I've notified the IT department, but seeing as it's a Friday afternoon, I doubt they'll be doing anything about it until next week.

so far today, i have tried to fix my glasses after stepping on them. i more or less succeeded.

I've got the advantage here. Worn specs since I was four - so half a century on now. Always wear until falling asleep - onto the nightstand. Wake up, put on face. Repeat. When I take them off to run, I have to remember where I put them - cause as sure as hell I can't see them.

Started off strong seeing Trombone Shorty and Orleans Avenue at 11am but then the Giants lost again after Barry "Headcase (in a bad way)" Zito started off the game by walking in two runs in the first inning. Talk about depression. Going to see Steve Earl and the Dukes soon so I am hoping the day will end on a better note.

Took the tram to the top of the mountain to observe Pika. Spent about two hours up there then decided to hike down rather than take the tram. First real hike for Peter. 3000ft and about 4 miles, at least half along a narrow ridge trail and he came through like a trooper. Spent the afternoon at the Octoberfest celebration here. Now drinking a nice Kolsch.

Concerning Al's Giants...

If the Braves lose tomorrow afternoon, their only hope would be for the Giants to beat the Padres tomorrow evening which would give the Giants 92 wins and the NL West title, and would force a one game playoff between the Braves and Padres in Atlanta on Monday for the NL wildcard because each team would have finished the regular season with 90 wins.

If the Braves win tomorrow afternoon against the Phillies, then they could win the NL wildcard outright with 91 wins if the Giants beat the Padres tomorrow night, giving the Giants the NL West with 92 wins and eliminating the Padres with 90 wins. But if the Braves win tomorrow against the Phillies and the Padres beat the Giants tomorrow night, then the Braves, Giants and Padres each finish the regular season with 91 wins. In that case, the Giants would play the Padres in San Diego on Monday to determine the NL West title, and the loser of that game would play the Braves in Atlanta on Tuesday to determine the NL wildcard.

So despite losing two games in a row to the Padres, the Giant's are still in the best position. They'll have as many as 3 chances in 3 days in 3 different cities to make the playoffs. If they beat the Padres either in SF tomorrow or in SD on Monday, they'll win the NL West. Even if they lose both of those games, they'll still get the NL wildcard with a win in Atlanta on Tuesday.

Most amazing in all of this is the fact that the Phillies will finish the regular season with the best record in baseball despite how poorly they played in the first half of the season.

Oh wait, there's no more possibility!

If the Braves lose tomorrow and the Padres beat the Giants tomorrow, then the Braves finish with 90 wins are are eliminated, while the Giants and Padres both finish with 91 wins. In that case, there would still be a one game playoff between the Giants and Padres in Sand Diego on Monday. The winner would get the NL West title and the loser would get the NL wildcard title.

Thus, it's possible for the Giants to still get into the playoffs even if they lose two more games to the Padres; so long as the Phillies beat the Braves tomorrow afternoon, the Giants are in!