What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grahame, how was Duffy? I wanted to see her. I love her but she really sucked on a recent SNL show.

Cute and Welsh ;)

Sound at the concert was pretty good, and she can certainly belt them out, when she wants to. Joanne enjoyed it, and it was a good end to a very pleasant afternoon. If you have Rockferry, you were there, except for the addition of

duffyrainonyourparadexx8.jpg which she informed us is getting UK radio play.

see what you think.

zSHARE - 01 Rain On Your Parade.mp3

;)

There is nothing quite as disconcerting as sitting in your office looking out the windows and watching black ash rain down around you. The wildfires are about fiftyfive minutes away by freeway but the smoke and ash are really thick out here. Sheesh, wish I didn't have to drive into LA right now. :confused:

Got up a little late after a mini-meet Staxapalooza with JP#s and blessingx followed by some curry for dinner (Ric couldn't stay). Oh, yeah, and a half dozen fine beers along the way.

Had to drive over to Saucelito this morning for my son's parent-teacher conference and watched Angel Island burning while driving over the GG Bridge. By far the best teacher report in my son's school career, and the fire was largely out by the time I got to my office.

While having lunch at a soup place, two, then four police cars pulled up, some with sirens blaring. Some of the cops went into the same building we were in -- and the soup place has an entrance right from the lobby. We were done, so we decided it was best to leave. As we left, a motorcycle cop, another B&W, and a plain cloths car rolled up. The plain clothes guys grabbed their jackets and a long hard case out of the trunk that looked like a weapon case and ran toward the corner where we had been. As we walked away, we speculated about bad events going down in that building (I lost a colleague in the 101 California St. shootings in 1993). Two minutes later, though, we turned around and there was a protest march walking down the middle of the cross street at that corner. Could all of that stuff been for the march? So far, no news otherwise so maybe it wasn't what I had speculated. Hopefully that was all it was.

While having lunch at a soup place, two, then four police cars pulled up, some with sirens blaring. Some of the cops went into the same building we were in -- and the soup place has an entrance right from the lobby. We were done, so we decided it was best to leave. As we left, a motorcycle cop, another B&W, and a plain cloths car rolled up. The plain clothes guys grabbed their jackets and a long hard case out of the trunk that looked like a weapon case and ran toward the corner where we had been. As we walked away, we speculated about bad events going down in that building (I lost a colleague in the 101 California St. shootings in 1993). Two minutes later, though, we turned around and there was a protest march walking down the middle of the cross street at that corner. Could all of that stuff been for the march? So far, no news otherwise so maybe it wasn't what I had speculated. Hopefully that was all it was.

Turns out it wasn't the protest march:

Man who says game show turned him down prompts S.F. bomb scare

John Koopman,Marisa Lagos, Chronicle Staff Writers

Monday, October 13, 2008

(10-13) 14:41 PDT SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco police evacuated part of a Financial District high-rise today after a man angry that he had been turned down to appear on a TV game show walked into a law office wearing a blinking device that he described as a bomb, authorities and witnesses said.

Police also cordoned off the area around California and Battery streets before arresting the man in the law office at 275 Battery St. The situation was resolved around 1:30 p.m. and police were in the process of reopening the streets around 2 p.m.

The incident began when a man walked into the Lieff Cabraser law office and indicated to the receptionist that he had a bomb, police Sgt. Neville Gittens said. Police were called at 12:40 p.m.

Officers evacuated the legal firm's offices on the 28th, 29th and 30th floors and arrested the man. His name has not been released.

Gittens said the man had a device made of a white tube and some sort of flashing light. The bomb squad is examining it to determine whether it is actually an explosive, he said.

Anthony McDaniel, facilities manager at the law office, said the man had been holding a note and wearing a belt with a blinking light. McDaniel said the man had indicated he was angry because he was passed over to appear on the TV game show "The Price is Right."

The note that the man gave to the receptionist had the words, "Please help me," written across the bottom, McDaniel said. He said he had not heard the man threaten anyone.

It was not immediately known whether the law firm has anything to do with the long-running game show, or whether the man had any other connections to the national law firm.

Glad to hear you are all right, Al. On a related note, this morning, our office was under the flight path of a(n) S-64 Skycrane engaged in firefighting on, we assume, Angel Island. It made several passes, re-watering, we assume, from the freshwater in Corte Madera creek. The discussion here assumed that they wanted to use freshwater, rather than saltwater from the bay, so as not to disrupt the ecosystem on Angel Island.

The skycrane is an impressive beast

311402497_a733a3c5b7_o.jpg

- ours was #780 in red.

DSCF4190.JPGDSCF4178.JPG

DSCF4181.JPGDSCF4191.JPG

Glad to hear you are all right, Al. On a related note, this morning, our office was under the flight path of a(n) S-64 Skycrane engaged in firefighting on, we assume, Angel Island. It made several passes, re-watering, we assume, from the freshwater in Corte Madera creek. The discussion here assumed that they wanted to use freshwater, rather than saltwater from the bay, so as not to disrupt the ecosystem on Angel Island.

The skycrane is an impressive beast

On Saturday, while riding from Santa Barbara to Santa Ynez in the morning, we had one of these fly about 200' right over us. It was busy reseeded the areas that were burnt this summer.

Make a nice cup of tea and try to forget the day Vicki.

It's 10:25PM and I've been on the phone with one patient's lunatic extended family since 7:30M, as well as half the morning. I'm now listening to some nice music, and tea sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

what happened yesterday?

Minus the nice music part, see above, except stretch it out over a whole day. :(

Most don't as they don't fit my hand. The only other guns that I'm looking at are the Kimber Ultra CDP II .45ACP

large_ultracdp2.jpg

and the Springfield XD SubCompact.

XD9821.jpg

both of which I can handle. On one hand, I'm not looking for a carry weapon, and really want something for fun, but on the other hand, I see no point in picking up a gun that would be used just for fun if it didn't allow for self-defense if ever needed. Both those guns would be very fun and could be used for self-defense. Both are also really affordable. But that Nighthawk (Lady Hawk model) is steps above those in performance and in how it just plain feels to hold. There's only the problem of a couple thousand dollar difference. :palm: Anyway, I'm not buying a gun any time soon. They're just fun to mess with and think about after a long day.

Edited by boomana

btw, if those 1911s fit your hand, then any properly set up 1911 does. the only real difference is how much of the frame protrudes from under your pinky. the 1911 fits anyone, if it's set up for them. the 1911 is the auto, if well built, objectively. i used to be a USP/P99/Sig P220 guy, until i fired a real custom Colt.

Actually most don't fit my hand, which is on the smaller size. I tried out quite a few on Sat and Sun, and I'd say only about 6 felt right, the others not so much, though I could explore grip options if I were really serious about one. I'm trying not to get serious about one :)

Years ago, I messed around with a Sig 225, but didn't try out any Sigs this weekend. I did sign up for some private instruction next weekend, though. Maybe I'll try some then. The local range has pretty much all the standard brands and models available, so I'm lucky that way.

Did my gun pictures scare people off? No one's posted in this thread since last week. Well, I had stress-filled, crappy birthday in the middle of the week, so today I treated myself and bought three hours of private instruction at the range, played around with different guns than last week, then took a CWL class and qualified (super easy since it's only at 12' and a blind midget could get a nice grouping), sent sent off all the paperwork (they have a sheriff come in to do the fingerprinting, and there's a notary on staff). That was fun. Was supposed to go to dinner, but plans are changing for tomorrow. I might just be a bum tonight and do nothing at all :)

BTW, other than me in the CWL class, they were all lawyers, except one lawyer's wife, who was nuts, and showed up in high-heeled sandals.

Drove up to Nashua to get some shopping done. Then drove to multiple eyewear stores looking for a frame that would actually fit my wide fat head without pressing into my temple to no avail. I only do this (look for new glasses) every 2 to 3 years and I always forget how frustrating it is for me. I think I'm going to finally bite the bullet and get myself contacts this time around.