What did you do today?

riceboy

Been at a Java conference here in Oslo for two days. Some good stuff, some boring. One of the speakers (on the good side, get the relational databases outta here :) ) had worked a lot with big investments banks. Must be kind of strange to sit on Oslo and watch your clients disappear. Most fun: Meet former colleagues.

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a sight for sore eyes! I have all of one lonely bomber left over from the last batch of homebrew, so my own beer fridge is truly tragic to behold. :(

On a happier note, the wife took me out to dinner at L'Espalier last night and I'd have to rank it as one of the better four hours of gorging of my life so far. The cheese service was fucking unbelievable.

Today's menu, green tea and dry Wasa crackers, I think.

That's a sight for sore eyes! I have all of one lonely bomber left over from the last batch of homebrew, so my own beer fridge is truly tragic to behold. :(

On a happier note, the wife took me out to dinner at L'Espalier last night and I'd have to rank it as one of the better four hours of gorging of my life so far. The cheese service was fucking unbelievable.

Today's menu, green tea and dry Wasa crackers, I think.

I haven't been to L'Espalier since the early 80's. It's a really nice restaurant. Glad to see it's still going strong. There used to be a really nice French restaurant in Harvard too. I can't remember its name, but if it's still there, it's probably worth a visit. At least it used to be. :D

Oh yeah. Beefy, the beer looks good too.

PS: Beefy -- saved!

Father Beermas, aka my friend Brian, left three cases of brown ale outside the garage while I was at the park with the kids this afternoon. The note said he brewed too much to get through himself. I'm thinking either it's horrible or I was really good in a past life.

HEH! Good work! :)

I've never seen homebrew canned before. Doesn't the heat required for the canning process hurt the beer?

No, it is actually a really elegant little setup that doesn't require heating of the beer.

An empty can without a lid is placed in a dispenser, it is purged with CO2 and then filled with pre-carbonated beer. You sit a lid on, put it in the canning machine that pushes the lid down while rotating the can. A wheel pushes on the edges of the lid as it rotates and seams/seals the can.

I can imagine that the beer probably won't last as well as bottled beer...... but it isn't going to last that long anyway ;). The big bonus of the canning is that they stack so bloody well compared to bottles. MUCH less wasted fridge space.

Close encounter with a coyote this morning at the start of my morning ride. I thought coyotes were asleep by seven am, guess I was wrong. He was a pretty big mother and the most disconcerting thing was that he wasn't scared of me at all. He just walked in front of me while I rode and just kept looking at me, kept constant eye contact. finished the ride with a modest 1K of climb, visited starbucks for that caffeine pop then finished off my office speaker mod project.

They just moved out of that weird old Back Bay townhouse into purpose-built new digs on Boylston St. This week was shakedown week, but it doesn't seem like they're going to have any problems. The new kitchen would make Thomas Keller wet himself. ;)

I'll have to try it if and when I get back to the Boston area. I checked for the French restaurant in Harvard. It turns out that it's still there, but in Acton, not Harvard. I'm getting old and my memory isn't what it once was. Besides, it was more than 20 years ago. The restaurant is Le Lyonnais. It was quite good and the prices are quite reasonable. Do it in the summer and you can finish it off with some ice cream from Kimball Farms in Littleton.

I mostly carbonate in the bottle, because one of the things I really like about homebrew is you get hte nice smooth yeast fart co2 bubbles instead of the harsh chemically derived co2 bubbles :)

When I do homebrew I bottle condition as well. But this is microbrew done at U-Brew-It.

Their facilities are far better than anything I could manage at home! :)