Another Stax Omega 2 setup

deepak

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm too old for that shit anymore. I can stay up 'til 5am as many days in a row...as long as I sleep 'til 1pm the next day...this burning the candle at both ends shit ended years ago.

Voltron and a lot of others were able to burn the candle at all ends at CanJam. Me, I was able to stay up til midnight (after traveling from the west coast) on Thursday and then 2:30 on Friday. On Saturday, I went to bed at 8 and got up at 9 the next morning. So I found my limits pretty quickly.

It's the drugs, man. >:D Yeah, I stayed up late as hell but by 2 or 3am Saturday night it wasn't even voluntary any more. Stevieo was just taunting me and begging me to end his miserable life. It's Gene who is really a mystery. Kind of like Mickey Rourke in Barfly -- as long as he has his "fuel" he keeps going and going. When I was trying to sleep and threatening Stevieo with kicks to the head if he didn't shut up, Gene was posting pictures with his one squinky eye.

• 2 months later...

Small update, I've had these for a decent amount of time now to form a more solid impression.

They are so far the best headphones I've owned, they really let the music come alive. Even though the soundstage isn't that big, their intimate nature and the way they handle micro and macrodynamics gives everything its proper size, so that gives music a lot of PRaT.

I'm still awestruck by how good the bass is, and I think it should only improve with a better amp.

They are the complete oposite of the Koss, where the O2 really doesn't have a distinct laid back or upfront sound signature. It really depends on what you're listening to. Whereas all other headphones seem to add a coloration to how music is presented.

Yeah man, I totally agree. The O2 is the best headphone I've owned bar none. Including the Mk2. I'm slowly coming around to the way it does soundstage, and the rest of the sound is just about perfect. It really does remind me of a K340 without the colorations, and better in every way.

001 for portable use, soon with a modded amp, 007 for home use... Who needs dynamics anymore?

Well, the DT770 is permanently welded to the PC so that's going to be the only exception :)

The bass and treble will only get better with more power behind them so get cracking on that BH... ;D

I must say that I'm solely using any one of my Omegas these days and the rest just sits there. Time to write up so FS listings...

I'm enjoying the Stax pro transformer with the Audio Space EL34 amp TheSloth sent me in ultralinear mode. I can't wait to hear a Blue Hawaii.

Yeah man, I totally agree. The O2 is the best headphone I've owned bar none. Including the Mk2. I'm slowly coming around to the way it does soundstage, and the rest of the sound is just about perfect. It really does remind me of a K340 without the colorations, and better in every way.

001 for portable use, soon with a modded amp, 007 for home use... Who needs dynamics anymore?

Well, the DT770 is permanently welded to the PC so that's going to be the only exception :)

Go electrostat for the gaming pc as well :D

I like the O2 a lot more than the bass heavy and bass light K340 I had.

I've been tempted by the SR-001 MK2 a lot of times as well, but I don't really listen to music outside the house.

Well the current PC sounds like a jet engine, and I need a closed headphone to filter it out (dare I say 4070?). But, the current PC is also running on 6 years old. In a month or so I'll have a new one, which will be water cooled and dead silent, and then the 007 probably will be used for gaming. It's certainly comfortable enough for long stretches at a time. And, I'm thinking of a Cary 303/300 down the road, and that has digital inputs as I recall...

But, source is still not decided.

It's the comfort which seals the deal for me as I can wear them for a whole day if so inclined. The SR-007A's are also approaching this after I swapped the foam inside the pads with those from a Mk1 set.

As for a source I wouldn't buy anything with Cary badge on it but that is a personal choice. Why not find some old DAC like Parasound, Museatex, Wadia or some other and have it modified. New certainly doesn't mean better in this game and some of the old stuff is simply stunning.

I'm honestly not sure as to what source I'll be getting, the Cary was just an idea. I don't want to use the Rega as a transport; I think that top-loading mechanism is far too fussy about CD angle and in general annoying to use in the long term, and most of my music is on CD. I would probably want a one-box solution but with digital inputs, otherwise I'll have to get a separate transport.

I'll probably have $2-2.5k to blow on it when the time comes so there will be plenty of options. Something along the lines of an 840c but with more musicality and a warm midrange, and a tube output stage.

I desperately need to update my PC. I think I'm probably going to sell my ESP/950 and use the money for an E2180/4 GB memory/GA-EP35 board and HD4850.

The O2 just beat the Koss in every way and I haven't listened to the Koss too much since I got them back.

It's the comfort which seals the deal for me as I can wear them for a whole day if so inclined. The SR-007A's are also approaching this after I swapped the foam inside the pads with those from a Mk1 set.

As for a source I wouldn't buy anything with Cary badge on it but that is a personal choice. Why not find some old DAC like Parasound, Museatex, Wadia or some other and have it modified. New certainly doesn't mean better in this game and some of the old stuff is simply stunning.

The last Cary/O2 combo I heard was just awful.

Actually the older Meridian gear like the 508.24 is very good. It's the newer crap like the G08 that aren't looked upon too highly here.

I've heard the 508.24 a lot. I own the G08, and would not downgrade. Not everyone agrees with the current round of G08 bashing.