Firefox 3

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if anybody else experiences this but Gmail loads a lot faster with FF3 than with 2 using windows. about 1 second as opposed to 6 seconds.

I didn't try Gmail yet, but I read somewhere in an article that Firefox 3 did improve on web based email speed like Gmail and Yahoo.

Yeah I've used Thunderbird it's ok, it has decent IMAP support which is more than I can say for a lot of e-mail clients. They are in the process of completely redoing it though so you might want to wait till the betas for 3 start coming out.

Yeah I've used Thunderbird it's ok, it has decent IMAP support which is more than I can say for a lot of e-mail clients. They are in the process of completely redoing it though so you might want to wait till the betas for 3 start coming out.

X2 on what Tkam said as well. I've also used Thunderbird, but I would wait for the betas for 3 do come out as well. I do like Thunderbird a lot more than Outlook Express.

My issue with Thunderbird is that once you start using it you can't go back to anything else. The database file that they use cannot be converted back to use Outlook again. I was going to switch back to Outlook earlier this year and discovered the transfer incompatibility. :(

My issue with Thunderbird is that once you start using it you can't go back to anything else. The database file that they use cannot be converted back to use Outlook again. I was going to switch back to Outlook earlier this year and discovered the transfer incompatibility. :(

Thats part of the reason to use IMAP if it's available to you, everything is kept on the mail server making switching e-mail clients a cinch.

Ah that makes sense then, I actually got sick of running our company mail server and convinced the powers that be to make the switch over to google apps premier. No more space concerns with each acct having 25gigs.

I'm not sure if anybody else experiences this but Gmail loads a lot faster with FF3 than with 2 using windows. about 1 second as opposed to 6 seconds.

Yeah Gmail is super fast now.

Hmmmm... I'm not completely enamored with it. I don't like the downloads section as much and also the previous links that pop up from the address bar almost show too much information now. I'm a simpleton, what can I say?

I like the extra information since I can type in "s" in the URL bar and see the names of all the SH forum threads I've visited rather than just the thread URLs. Makes finding things faster for me.

I like the extra information since I can type in "s" in the URL bar and see the names of all the SH forum threads I've visited rather than just the thread URLs. Makes finding things faster for me.

deepak, can you explain what you mean by the above? Sounds convenient, but how do you do it?

deepak, can you explain what you mean by the above? Sounds convenient, but how do you do it?

Sure, I'll try and explain it better. This is the Windows version of Firefox.

For example if I type "st" (without the quotation marks) in the URL bar it looks for all the previous URLs with "st" in them as well as home page or thread names. So it basically makes it a lot faster for me to find websites or threads I've read. So I don't have to type out a lot of the name of a website to have it pop up in my URL bar. It's sort of like an "intelligent" search feature in the URL bar.

an example:

111ew5.png

Searching for "st" it brings up a thread with "West Germany" in it and "Acoustic Sounds"

I can basically two or three letter search 90% of the websites I go to.

I agree this release is much better on OS X (though lack of services support may in the end keep me from using it), but strangely it kills my mouse pointer on screensaver recovery every time (in 10.5). Previous version, Safari, WebKit and Opera (which also has a new release this last week) does not. Have to guesstimate pointer/use keyboard to kill FF to bring back. That was a fun game once or twice, but...

As for Gmail (and Google Reader and SqueezeCentral) I use Fluid.

• 3 weeks later...

what the fuck is up with the spellcheck? I doesn't seem to be engaged in text boxes like the ones found here when writing a post. I've tried to google it but I can't come up with any solution that works. Have any of you figured this out? Believe me, you want me to have spellchecking enabled.