Deals

Dusty Chalk

and there's a new option for a 32GB SS HD now. There are rumors of some new Apple thing possibly surfacing this summer. But it's getting harder to wait. I'm tired of lugging a laptop around for non-processor intensive stuff (email, iTunes, a handful of productivity apps).

and there's a new option for a 32GB SS HD now. There are rumors of some new Apple thing possibly surfacing this summer. But it's getting harder to wait. I'm tired of lugging a laptop around for non-processor intensive stuff (email, iTunes, a handful of productivity apps).

I find it hard to believe that Apple will price a netbook less than say, the Ipod Touch. I fully expect whatever Apple comes out with to be in the $600+ ballpark, if not higher.

I find it hard to believe that Apple will price a netbook less than say, the Ipod Touch. I fully expect whatever Apple comes out with to be in the $600+ ballpark, if not higher.

Oh yeah, totally... at least $600. I wasn't really making a comparison on the pricepoint, more on the potential functionality. It's an attractive stopgap since you can hack a Dell Mini 9 to run OS X fairly easily and get all functionality without having to find homebrewed drivers to support native hardware on the machine.

Stacy decided that she "needed" a laptop so I just ordered a Mini 9 for her. After customizing to have max memory, ss disk space and Bluetooth capability, plus shipping and tax, the total for this $199 laptop was:

$441.17

Oh well, still very cheap for a nice laptop. She was pleased that the OS was Ubuntu as she likes to play with Linux. :)

It's cheaper to build a mini-server, if you you use really inferior parts, and have the skill/time to fiddle with linux to set it up. My only concern with the Drobo is the noise. Small fans tend to make high pitched whines that drive me nuts. I haven't heard a Drobo in person, so I don't know how big a problem this is. Part of the reason I pay extra for LaCie external drives is that they don't have shrill cooling fans.

120mm fans, perfect. Easy to change, too. Just put a Scythe Slip Stream 1200rpm or 800rpm depending on how much airflow you need in there.

Or even if it's 92mm or 80mm there are good ones out there, and it's doubtful you need a fast fan in there anyway.

I'm told changing it voids warranty, but ymmv. Also, the guy who took these shots said something about the Drobo using a different power connector, which required either splicing some wires differently or making a connector, or some such jazz.

I forget the specifics, but I think I have it bookmarked at work, and I'll post the link here tomorrow. It took a while to find for some reason, not too many internal Drobo pics out there....

OK, so here is the original thread I found.

The Phantom Mimbler: How to take your Drobo apart...

And here is the stock fan that comes with the 1st gen. Drobo, which is louder than the latest (2nd gen) Drobo.

DSC00971.JPG

The blog is from April 25, 2008, and doing a search on Engadget revealed the 2.0 Drobo announcement in July 2008, so everything above is the 1st generation.

Heartbreaker | Bloodshot Records

Heartbreaker re-release, number limited edition of 500 copies, 2xLP, 180gr, remastered by Bernie Grundmann from the original analog mastered tapes. $12. The same vinyl is going for $24 at Aural Exploits for some reason. I have no idea if it sounds any good, I just ordered mine.

Three words. Need el drop! :P

The CD has quite a lot of background noise.