Beatles albums remastered soon?

riceboy

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well in a few days we'll all have them and be able to upload them into peak le or audacity and take screen shots to see how chopped the peaks got if at all.

I went from totally pumped to not so much given the hype. I'm not sure the new remasters will top the best available lps

The LPs will be coming out in November. ;)

digital transfers at 24/192 to vinyl?

I don't know, but I will ask someone at Capitol Studio or RTI, they should know.

I am so bummed, they are going to have a Breakfast with the Beatles on 9/9/09 at the Capitol Tower to listen to the new remasters, enjoy breakfast, play rock band and give away a couple of boxsets. Unfortunately I will be out of town on business :(

I don't know, but I will ask someone at Capitol Studio or RTI, they should know.

I am so bummed, they are going to have a Breakfast with the Beatles on 9/9/09 at the Capitol Tower to listen to the new remasters, enjoy breakfast, play rock band and give away a couple of boxsets. Unfortunately I will be out of town on business :(

Oh, that sucks to miss out. I should hope you get a box set anyway, insider-man!

Oh, that sucks to miss out. I should hope you get a box set anyway, insider-man!

I wish I could get the mono, stereo and vinyl boxsets. I don't know at this point, especially when the Sr VP of Operations doesn't have a copy of the boxsets yet. And my boss the VP of IT has ordered his copy of the mono boxset from Amazon.com (although he is a bit of a Beatles nut, he stood in line at midnight when they release the Beatles Anthology I, only to find a copy on his desk in the morning).

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what makes the Mono box set so desirable? I'm not sure I get it - 10 albums released as mono-channel mixes, right? Why would anyone want to listen to a mono-channel mix on a two-channel system in favor of a stereo mix? Seems kinda odd to me....

Here's the story.

The majority of the albums were mono only originally. The only "official" version of all but the last three albums (IIRC) is the mono version, as the mono version is the only one the Beatles had any hand in mastering.

Many of the early stereo versions of the albums are awful -- undynamic, vocals panned hard right, drums hard left, etc. It's felt by many that the mono versions are both better-sounding and more authentic. Mono isn't terribly bad, anyhow.

It remains to be seen what the remastered early albums will sound like in stereo. I hear a good deal about them being based on the 1987 versions, which I find reasonable enough.

All I know for sure is that the version of "Revolver" I heard today was fantastic. It sounded like a modern record.

So apparently if I want to get as many CDs to sound as optimal as possible, I should order the Mono box set, and then the Yellow Submarine and Abbey Road stereo remasters individually? (for example) As it looks like all the studio album remasters are also being released individually, but apparently they're all the stereo versions only.

I think I should've ordered this Mono box set earlier....

Here's the story.

The majority of the albums were mono only originally. The only "official" version of all but the last three albums (IIRC) is the mono version, as the mono version is the only one the Beatles had any hand in mastering.

Many of the early stereo versions of the albums are awful -- undynamic, vocals panned hard right, drums hard left, etc. It's felt by many that the mono versions are both better-sounding and more authentic. Mono isn't terribly bad, anyhow.

It remains to be seen what the remastered early albums will sound like in stereo. I hear a good deal about them being based on the 1987 versions, which I find reasonable enough.

All I know for sure is that the version of "Revolver" I heard today was fantastic. It sounded like a modern record.

This is on the whole not true as the first few albums were recorded in twin track, essentially a two track multitrack recorder. Stereo was still fairly new at the time and England and Abbey Road studios lagged behind the US in regard to multitrack recorders. Pop groups never got the new stuff as it was allocated to classical sessions that EMI deemed more important.

There is no dynamic difference between the two track stereo and mono at all from a master/mix tape perspective. I understand the lack of listening comfort with hard left/right pans but this is not to dissimilar to many jazz lps at the time.

Please Please Me was release in the UK in 1962 in both stereo and mono as were the subsequent releases through MMT. My understanding is that Yellow Submarine is a stereo fold down and not true mono, but I could be wrong on that count.

THe Beatles attended and approved just the mono mixes through the White Album so you could say the mono versions from PPM to Pepper were the only band approved versions with the stereo cuts relegated to several different mixing engineers and George Martin.

The Beatles never attended mastering sessions, EMI used different engineers for recording/mixing and mastering just like today. What they approved was the final mix sessions. Mastering for LP occurred at a later date without George Martin or the Beatles with final eq needed to cut a master left up the EMI staff engineer.

This price guide shows original labels that were used for first PPM prior to the parlophone label we are more used to seeing.

Beatles UK LP's, Identification Guide

Holy Crap, Mono box sounds pretty dang awesome! I still like the tube cut LPs the few I have but these are detail monsters. So far just listened to Revolver and PPM and I'll knock out the remainder this week. I am just about on Beatles overload as the Hoffman board was just about 100% Beatles all the time. Speaking of that the SH board seems to have collapsed today.