• UE10
    • UE11
    • christopher reeve

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Got to listen to the UE11 Universal fit demo recently.

Yeah, waaaaay too much bass, it's really bloated and just overpowers everything. It's a shame, as the soundstage is much larger than the UE10 and imaging seems better.

They really ruined the UE11 with the bass.

Thats all you got,wheres the impressions:D

If there were a UE10.5, Id go with that. I don't know which one I liked better. It's hard to know because the universals dont fit my ears with any of the tips and have to be held in place. I don't think I can know without trying custom fits of both

I had a lot of trouble deciding which custom to get myself after listening to both at the Gaithersburg meet. I thought the UE10 sounded great, very neutral with nothing really standing out. Pretty well balanced and I think they are more accurate than the UE11s but in the end I decided the livelier sound from the UE11 would be more entertaining during my daily subway ride.

I am waiting on the UE11s now and I am really hoping they show up before I leave on a 20 day trip the end of next week.

Any idea which sounded more like the Triple.fi's?

Got to listen to the UE11 Universal fit demo recently.

Yeah, waaaaay too much bass, it's really bloated and just overpowers everything. It's a shame, as the soundstage is much larger than the UE10 and imaging seems better.

They really ruined the UE11 with the bass.

Is there a pair of fullsized cans that has a similar level of bass? I'm looking for something to compare to.

If there were a UE10.5, Id go with that. I don't know which one I liked better. It's hard to know because the universals dont fit my ears with any of the tips and have to be held in place. I don't think I can know without trying custom fits of both

So when are you getting both of them?;D

I listened to both of them at Canjam & went with the 11s,& glad I did.

As for the bass ,listening to the customs not the universals the 11s are amazing.

I found with the universals the bass was more bloated & a little too overpowering.

My amp of choice that I own is the PRII with the 11s,but I would like to try the Pico with the customs at some point.

On the subject of amps, is it worth getting either of these if using them unamped (out of an Ipod)?

I quite like my Etymotic Er6i's direct (except for the anemic bass) and wonder if getting a high-end custom is worthwhile.

Also, how often/easy is it to clean custom IEMs?

Cheers!

My understanding is their greatest strength is their straight out of an ipod abilities.

Yup. I'm 100% happy with these straight from an ipod, which is good, since that's why I bought them. The bass freaked me out a bit when using the pico as a dac/amp on the first couple days. There was a fullness to the lower midrange and mid-bass that felt almost syrupy and too much, but then every other tone came through so cleanly and sounding pretty damn accurate, it was confusing. I didn't get this bass emphasis straight from the ipod, and preferred listening that way in the first week.

I don't know if I've just gotten used to the sound with the pico, or if the UE11s actually changed slightly, as others have reported, but they don't seem bloomy at all now, though that was definitely my first impression, and I was fully planning to report that I wish I'd gotten the 10s instead. I stopped listening to them for three days after slightly injuring my left ear taking them out (do not rip them out quickly...no no no), and upon using them again, they now sound just right to me, like live music, especially with the recorded live music I've been using to get a sense of things. I really can't account for the change, but don't much care to bother. I seriously wouldn't change a thing about them now, and am now very glad I got them over the 10s, though outta the box, I was thinking the opposite.

I've been using them straight from an ipod, ipod with pico, and macbook with pico. The pico cleans up the midrange edges a bit, even when just as an amp, and I will use it anytime I'm not moving around, whether as an amp or dac/amp. I'm also happy with the UE11s right from the ipod. One unexpected advantage is that I don't feel the need to turn the volume up to get a more visceral take on things. Everything sounds wonderful, even at a whisper volume.

These are just side-shot, notice-what-you-notice impressions, and I really haven't been doing any purposeful critical sessions. I have to send them back to get the left monitor adjusted, as a couple spots need to be reduced to get a better seal and more comfy fit. I don't want to send them back, even for a couple days. I like them that much. When I get them back, and assuming the fit will be right, I'll listen more carefully and post impressions after a bit. In the meantime, I really consider these one of my best audio purchases ever.

Here's a weird thing re changes: The first day I had them, I was listening to itunes and using the pico with the macbook and reading headcase. I entered the chat room, and that annoying female-ish "welcome" voice when you enter sounded, well, like a guy's voice on female hormones. I wasn't expecting to have it come through the music, I completely didn't recognize it at first (what the hell was that), and then didn't like at all what I was hearing once I figured it out. I logged in and out a couple times to make sure I was hearing what I heard. Today it's back to sounding like a female voice, though with the lower tones slightly more present than with HF1s or even with UE11s sans pico, giving it a fuller sound. It does not sound like a male voice anymore, hormones or no, so although I can't account for the changes, I'm going to say this one is not my just getting used to anything. There's a definite difference for the better, even if some might disapprove of my sample choice for audiophile impressions. :)

Edited by boomana

Thanks for the impressions and ownership experiences Boomana - they're very helpful. I had a brief stab at re-reading/looking for more info at HF but your 2 posts were pretty much what I wanted.

I will attempt to nab a pair, when my wallet recovers (next year..... maybe :-( )

If I could do it again, I'd go for the cat on clear.

Congrats Vicki!

Looks pretty good on the electric blue,what happened to your other design?

I agree with your assement right out of the box,right now I am listening to my 11s straight out of my Iriver H120 with good results.

I haven't used it with my Imod without a amp ,but will give it a try.

It also takes some time to get used too customs,I would like it better if they used something more pliable then the hard acrylic they use.

Pretty easy to clean ,just use antiseptic wipes & the cleaning tool for the ports if needed.