The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

Some quick thoughts on the MK1 18-200: There's nothing in it between 135 and 200 and at the latter it's a bit blurry. I'd be inclined now to get the 28-300 for outdoors with the kids shooting and something else for indoors, such as just a 24 prime.

I turned out to be dead right about 24mm, at least here in Japan. I borrowed a friend's 14-24 yesterday in Tokyo and it is a totally insane lens. At 14mm it does funky things to people up close. Most of the time I used it at 24mm. Standing in front of a table and being able to take in a bunch of people only a few feet in front was completely weird.

^ Funny.

On that note, I'd rather get a used D7000 at this point than a used D300, though of course, D7000 would cost a bit more.

EDIT - Speaking of D7000, I didn't realize that B&N online is now selling items through 3rd party venders.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nikon-d7000-162-megapixel-digital-slr-camera/21785819?cm_mmc=google+product+search-_-q000000630-_-nikon+d7000+162+megapixel+digital+slr+camera-_-18208254682&ean=18208254682&r=1

Edited by Salt Peanuts

Dinny,

From what I remember the 7k is supposed to have a better sensor and offer superior low-light performance as a result. But there are also ways in which the 300 could be considered superior. It kind of depends on how you'd use it. For me, I'd rather have usable higher-iso's and be able to avoid using a flash.

Nate, Thanks. Your observations are consistent with what I've read. I ended up getting the D300. It's an earlier model than the D7000 and I guess doesn't have some of the features of the D7000, but it's a beast. And so much faster than my D50. I traded in my D50 kit and the Lumix and ended up getting the D300 in excellent condition for $450. The D7000 was going to be around $350 more than that, which made a difference.

Interestingly, the D7000 is significantly more compact than the D300, but the D300 felt more comfortable in my hands. Shows the benefit of actually handling these things. Regardless, both cameras are a big step up from the D50 and I'm really excited to start shooting.