The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

does anyone have experience with the Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr1 or 2? Is it worth it? Also considering the 80-200 2.8 w/o VR.

Also, need a wide angle but don't want to break the bank. Any thoughts?

The 18-200 VRII is nice, but slow. Want to move to better glass but it's so expensive...

I handled a Canon 70-200/2.8 II couple of years back and one thing I remember is that it was rather heavy - and Nikon one weighs about the same (~3.3 pounds or so), which is to say it weight 2 pounds more than a 18-200. Methinks you should get yourself down to B&H and try it out. I personally wouldn't want to handle that much weight, but I've got tendinosis. Also, from what I read, Nikon 70-200 VR2 is actually bit shorter than 200mm and gets shorter as you focus closer.

As for Tokina, aren't they going out with an updated version of 11-16 soon?

Edited by Salt Peanuts

D800 landed Monday, in a box that UPS did their best to utterly destroy. The camera seems to run fine though. With the new business, I haven't had the time to do anything resembling really trying the camera out yet. It has a noticeably quieter shutter than the D800, and the new screen is definitely quite nice as well.

If anybody would be interested in my D700/grip/l-plate, let me know.