The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

Hey wise ones, I have my eye on the Nikon 18-200 VR lens. The VR1 is significantly less expensive than the VR2 and I'm wondering if there are many, or any, significant differences. I saw some brief mentions that there is less lens creep on the new one, but that the VR is the same. Anyone got any wisdom for me?

Dinny, I don't know anything about the VR but like my 18-200 VRII. I pretty much just carry around the 18-200 VRII and/or 35 f/1.8 (for low light or better bokeh). If you are running around with kids, you are probably not going to be changing lenses much and the 18-200 is great for that. Of course, I would love to have a 70-200 f/2.8 but that is too much $$$ for my photo skillz.

Edited by shellylh

I have a D300, and I use the 18-200VR MK1 99% of the time. I also have the 50 f/1.8, but with kids, I have to have the zoom for the candid shots. And with the VR in the 18-200, I can shoot with no flash at 1/8 sec. handheld and still get sharp shots. 1/8 sec is probably not anything special for some of you, but I am not a pro by any means, so I am very happy with mine. To me, it's the absolute perfect vacation lens.

I personally would feel more comfortable buying from B&H used than someone on ebay. (Can you take it back if it isn't in the condition it says it is in? They seem to have a 90 day warranty for used items.) It doesn't say it is missing the front and read caps, just the hood. The hood should be easy to replace. If it is on the camera all the time, you don't really need the bag.

Looking at those used prices, I realize what a good deal I got on my (new) D90 and 18-200 Vrii combo at the time ($1289 shipped for both after $250 off).