The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

Gene, EXIF data can be seen here - 

http://500px.com/photo/64555441

http://500px.com/photo/64566503

I had a fairly dark ND filter (I think 64x) in front of the sigma 35/1.4. It's quite annoying that imgur strips exif data from images uploaded to it. Are there any free image hosts that are allowed here that don't do that? 

The first one is actually quite close to what I saw. Just more saturated due to the longer exposure. But the water really looked that green color close to the beach. Farther out it was nice and clear blue. 

The second one is a bit more cooked. I boosted vibrance quite a bit and pulled back saturation. Sharpened and boosted contrast on the pier a wee bit - can't really tell the difference. Took it into Color Efex 4 and stacked a vignette filter for the darker corners and a warmth filter to tone down the grey and blues as they were rather distracting in the clouds. Took it back in lightroom and reduced overall clarity and reduced saturation even more. 

Edited by crappyjones123

Brent said he liked this one the most on Facebook. Edited it on my laptop instead of the monitor at my apartment so colors might be a bit off. 

DSC_8567-2.jpg

Don't have photoshop so can't play with layers or blend images in Lightroom but recently found out about the Enfuse plugin which allows you to blend images. Still not sure how different sliders work and what kind of effect they have on the images but here is a poor attempt at blending images. I took one image underexposed and another overexposed thinking blending them will give me better dynamic range but I seem to get better results from single frames with the D800. That or I don't know what I am doing with Enfuse. Will play with it some more later. 

DSC_8534blended.jpg

Edit - yay for intact EXIF data. 

Edited by crappyjones123
  • Like 1

Anurag, have you talked with your credit card company to dispute the charge?  Credit card companies don't like not getting paid and typically support the buyer.  They know on a dispute if they can't get the money from the buyer, then they definitely can get it back from the seller.

Ken, I pay off my cards daily to make sure I live within my means but also to maintain my credit history. So it's not like have something to hold over the credit card company. Rather the credit card company is paid and so is Adorama. It is I who doesn't have the product I paid for. Adorama refuses to release the funds to my credit card company until their internal investigation and UPS' internal investigations are done. Seems reasonable but the amount of time they are taking to do it is absurd. 

I noticed this past weekend my Sigma 35 had lost the AF adjustments I'd made with their USB dock for no apparent reason.  I'm pretty certain I didn't erase/rest the adjustments since I hadn't used the dock with the lens since I'd made the adjustments.  I'm hoping this is a freak occurrence, but I think I'll be using the in-camera AF adjustments from now.

I miss the simple life. Med school can be quite a drag sometimes. The Grand Canyon is a hostile place for all life in general but I wonder how many people go there and come out with it being their happy place - the place they go to in their mind when they are down. The ice cold water that rattles your spine. The merciless sun that glares down without care and dries you up within minutes to where you pray for the cold spray as you raft down the Colorado river. The lovely conversations to be had at camp sites with people you would have never ordinarily met. The night sky unblemished by street lights and with the moon so bright that you wonder why you brought a flashlight in the first place. It is hostile but it is a simple place. It is my happy place.

To visit it again someday...

uVKYjm1.jpg

Edited by crappyjones123
  • Like 1

Sony announces A7S, 12.2 MP full-frame, low-light monster.

Having purchased and returned the Sony A7R 36 MP high-MP monster, I was hoping for a Sony camera with same sensor but better/faster AF similar to Sony A6000, but this A7S with 12.2 MP threw me for a loop from the left field.  With such huge pixel size, it *should* have unheard-of dynamic range at high ISO, something even D800/A7R cannot manage at high ISO.  With -4.0 EV AF, it should have fabulous AF in low light, and if color fidelity and IQ benefit from large pixels, this camera could be THE walk-around, low-light monster we have never seen before.  Although this camera should appeal to videographers, it could seduce photographers who shoot low-light events.  

Hate to say it, but Sony does seem to be towering over Canikon when it comes to imagination, innovation, and appetizing cameras    :o

Unfortunately it is in now way similar to the A6000 because it is still contrast AF only (I think the reason for that is adding phase detect AF pixels onto the sensor does increase the signal chain's noise a bit and have to be interpolated) but at least it will actually find focus even in low light.

And it will cost quite a bit, despite being "unfinished" in terms of video recording features, but a sensor like that does not come cheap.

Edited by padam

It will have a sturdier lens mount and full metal construction from the A7R so I expect a similar (if not slightly higher, like 2500$) pricetag.

A sensor like this at appr. 1/3 price of a 1DX/D4s would be a bit too good to be true.

Still, it is quite a lot less than the 5D Mark III and it will own it for video quality (no need to use a heavy AA filter to counter moire and aliasing) and also has tilt LCD and EVF.

Sample footage here