The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

Is this handheld or on tripod?  Both shots look out of focus to me.  I quickly looked through my photos and my wide open shots (few that I've shot) are sharper than your shot at f/4.5.  I realize D800's sensor can be more demanding than D600's, but I don't have the problem you appear to be having with the lens.  

Edited by Salt Peanuts

^Nice package.

Really? Seems more like an "up to..." offer.

What did you need to trade in to get the full $300?

They actually do not care what you trade in. Whether you send in a mint D800 or a non-working point-and-shoot, they will give you $300 credit! You will get the credit even before you send in your camera, which you will via pre-paid envelop that will come with your order. Insane, right? I had to bite..

• Like 1

Tried adjusting focus in the body with my anatomy professor. He was kind enough to lend me his tripod and had a wireless transmitter so we could see the images immediately on his laptop. Could not get the lens to be sharp at even f/5.6 which seems to be the sweet spot for it. He agreed that the particular nikkor 85/1.8 was poor. I don't know if the shipping got to it or if it was a shoddy piece but after giving it two tries I think I am done with it for now. Hopefully Sigma releases an art series 85mm lens soon. Here is one with their 35mm shot wide open at f/1.4. 

Tshzp8L.jpg

I'd look at:

Canon S100/S110/S120 ($100-$300) The thinnest of the lot, slow telephoto lens

Sony RX100 / RX100mII ($400-$700) Thicker, but much bigger sensor for the best image quality in low-light

Panasonic LX7 ($230) More manual controls, extremely bright lens, easy to use filters, but a little thicker/heavier than the above

Fuji X20 ($420)  The most manual controls, plus optical viewfinder, bright lens, phase-detect AF, and great build quality.  The largest of the group, though.

any fuji shooters here? Recently just "migrated" frm dslr to mirror-less.....took tons our of my shoulder. Selling all my canon lenses. Body wont go anywhere though (didnt worth much anyway, its a T2i), just keep it with kit lens. Back interested in shooting again after got sick of lugging tons of body and lens around.

the IQ blew entry lvl to mid-range DSLR outta water and ISO handling was superb compared to my T2i. For the weight of my DSLR backpack alone its equivalent to a mirrorless body and 2 lenses. anyone who's not doing photography for money should start going mirrorless way......no regret for me really

I've used m43 (E-M5) and liked it a lot, except for low-light AF and high ISO performance.  Also preferred optical viewfinder to EVF - I don't know how the EVF on current top end stacks up (E-M1, X-T1, A7/r).  My hands/wrists definitely appreciated the weight savings.  New sensors are closing the gap nicely.  Difference in depth of field is something to consider for some folks, though, for m43.

I thought long and hard about trying out Fuji system but its AF wasn't snappy enough for me, at least at the time (kid moving unpredictably).  I'm happily back using DSLR.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

All three have very good EVFs, the Fuji X-T1 has the most advanced tech and highest magnification and the EM1 is a little better than the A7® for visibility at the edges and the Sony has the best contrast and color (it is a FF sensor after all).

But generally all three are very good and a big step up compared to the previous ones.

The Alpha6000 looks to have very good AF as well  (phase detect on almost all of the sensor area) although they saved up on the EVF which was a mistake.

No way in hell, does the nikkor 85/1.8 ever give me this. 

QxIhqiK.jpg

My anatomy professor just go the A7R while we were hanging out in his office a little while back. He cancelled his dinner plans because he wanted to play with the new toy since it got here 3 days early. The camera is freaking amazing. 

Which lens was that with?  Can't wait to receive my A7R+FE55mm combo  :jbl:

Speed booster allows AF but they aren't cheap iirc.

Here is a little twist on the 100 strangers project. I decided to get to know people in med school a little better. Since the only free time we have is during lunch all were taken in very harsh light outside but I'm happy with how they turned out.

Suggestions for improvement welcome. :)

http://anuragkatyal.blogspot.com/2014/02/never-trust-fart.html