The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

No way in hell, does the nikkor 85/1.8 ever give me this. 

QxIhqiK.jpg

My anatomy professor just go the A7R while we were hanging out in his office a little while back. He cancelled his dinner plans because he wanted to play with the new toy since it got here 3 days early. The camera is freaking amazing. 

He wears mascara?

D600 owners rejoice. 

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Service-And-Support/Service-Advisories/hs309y82/Technical-Service-Advisory-for-Users-of-the-Nikon-D600-Digital-SLR-Camera.html

Wonder if the prices will start going up now. Apparently Nikon is even sending out pre paid shipping labels. Must have been a nasty lawsuit. 

Talk about too little, too late.  I'm glad they finally did it, but their behavior on that issue has been a joke.  I'm still using my Nikon gear, but I wouldn't mind if I never bought more of it.

On that note, I picked up a sweet deal on an XE-1 / 18-55 with RRS grip yesterday, and it should be a great camera for times when the big Nikon just isn't optimal to carry.  Still undecided on the zoom lens, it certainly functions and feels nice enough, but it's a bit larger than I'd prefer on this body.

Here's a downsized JPEG straight from the XE-1 in Velvia mode.  They certainly get JPEG processing in a way Nikon never has:

post-69-0-91480000-1393459664_thumb.jpg

I've had both Induro and Benro tripods (same OEM), and they're quite well made and always worked very well for me.  The CT213 should be extremely solid and well-made, and I don't think you'd go drastically wrong with one.

Just make sure you're okay with the weight, folded size, and extended size, as those were the reasons I've jumped around between tripods over the years.  Started with a very solid Velbon CF model that was a great extended size (sans center column), but 5lbs and rather long folded down with a head installed.  Then I moved to a Benro CF "travel" style tripod (2690, I *think*), which packed much nicer but was still heavier than I wanted, and felt a little wobbly thanks to the 5-section legs.  I then overshot towards light, with an Induro C-013 that was on closeout at Amazon.  It hit my weight goals, at only around 3lb with head, and was steady, with only 3-section legs, but I often found it too short when extended.

I'm currently using a Feisol 3342, which is, without question, my favorite tripod yet.  It gets to a comfortable height with room to spare for use on hills, is still only 3lbs with a head, is rock-stable, and folds down small enough for me.  The strength to weight ratio is the best I've seen, surely thanks to the Gitzo-style bowl-compatible collar.  That aspect also allows for a wider ballhead while still enabling the legs to fold over it.  The fit and finish is a modest step up from the Benro/Induro models, while being in the same general price class.  My only real annoyances about the Feisol were having to buy the foot spikes separately, and that the included case isn't long enough to contain the tripod with the foot spikes installed.

Anyway, think carefully about how/where you want to use the tripod, and how you'll get there, as well as how you need it to perform.  The CT213 should perform excellently, but be quite long when folded (no fold-over legs), and >4lbs with a head, so not the friendliest travel companion.

What ballhead do you like with your Feisol, for say a full-frame body + 70-200 f/2.8?

I'm using a Photoclam Pro Gold II, it's a nice compromise of size and performance.  I previously had a PC-40NS that was also an excellent head, but I wanted the convenience of the clamp-connector on the PGII.  I have used them with an 80-200 2.8, 200-500 5.6, and never had any issues with sag or unwanted movement (unlike the Giottos MH1300 I started out with).

The RRS-BH50 is great, but huge/heavy, and I wasn't crazy about the egonomics of their smaller heads.

The Feisol 3342 isn't available via Amazon Prime so it's out (I have a substantial gift card balance with Amazon that I would like to use). After reading some reviews, I ended up springing for the Induro CT213 and an Arcatech Ultimate Ballhead. Total carrying weight should come out to 4.5 lbs I think which is manageable. I don't see serious hikes or excursions like yours, Peter, any time in the near future so weight is not as big a concern for me but I didn't want anything so heavy that it just spent all its time in my apartment. 

The Gitzo gear while being reviewed better and carrying a lifetime warranty, was a bit too much to spend. I shall see if the whole thing is stable enough with the D800 and the two lenses I have. If so it stays. If not, I can easily ship it back to Amazon and spring for the Gitzo. 

• Like 1

The Feisol 3342 isn't available via Amazon Prime so it's out (I have a substantial gift card balance with Amazon that I would like to use). After reading some reviews, I ended up springing for the Induro CT213 and an Arcatech Ultimate Ballhead. Total carrying weight should come out to 4.5 lbs I think which is manageable. I don't see serious hikes or excursions like yours, Peter, any time in the near future so weight is not as big a concern for me but I didn't want anything so heavy that it just spent all its time in my apartment. 

The Gitzo gear while being reviewed better and carrying a lifetime warranty, was a bit too much to spend. I shall see if the whole thing is stable enough with the D800 and the two lenses I have. If so it stays. If not, I can easily ship it back to Amazon and spring for the Gitzo. 

That should be a great setup for you.  I've seen a lot of great comments about that head, never used one, though.  Please let me know if you can find a way to make it NOT "stable enough" for a D800, and no, raising the center column in hurricane-force winds doesn't count ;)