Singlepower Square Wave w/ DAC internal pics

Asr

I was going to post these pics on the other site but this is probably a better site to post these pics on. ;) At a Colorado 7/26/08 meet that I organized, Mikhail traded me a Square Wave w/ DAC for the previous non-DAC one that I had. (It had developed a few problems.) Yay for free upgrade, except when I took it home and used it in DAC mode the next day after the meet there was pretty much no bass. I mean literally. It seemed like everything from 200Hz down was just plain not there. I even compared with a HeadAmp Pico to make sure the problem wasn't with the computer or some other such setting. I asked Filburt and he said this is probably due to the coupling caps. :doghuh:

I'll let the pics do the talking:

sqwd_x1.jpg

sqwd_x2.jpg

sqwd_x3.jpg

sqwd_x4.jpg

sqwd_x5.jpg

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, and I neglected to ask, but it's shown up there in the first pic. I'm sure someone here can offer some input on it. I have no idea if it's a good DAC or not. But from what I can tell from the frequencies above 200Hz, it's at least decent-sounding. The lack of bass makes it impossible to critically listen tho.

Well if there's anyone here (or elsewhere, that someone might know of) that could fix my no-bass issue, I'd like to get it fixed. Will pay for time/effort and return shipping of course. I could send it back to Mikhail of course but I'd rather not do that unless necessary.

Assuming the 8 pin chip next to the uac3553b is an eeprom, it holds

all of the configuration data. Some of that data includes the dynamic

bass configuration stuff. So likely the eeprom got zotched and needs

to be reprogrammed. The dac board does not look like mikhail's work,

so you need to figure out who made it and see if it is upgradable or

configurable over the usb port. (highly likely it is with proper software)

Its the Xitel board, and software is available under non-disclosure...

I was going to post these pics on the other site but this is probably a better site to post these pics on. ;) At a Colorado 7/26/08 meet that I organized, Mikhail traded me a Square Wave w/ DAC for the previous non-DAC one that I had. (It had developed a few problems.) Yay for free upgrade, except when I took it home and used it in DAC mode the next day after the meet there was pretty much no bass. I mean literally. It seemed like everything from 200Hz down was just plain not there. I even compared with a HeadAmp Pico to make sure the problem wasn't with the computer or some other such setting. I asked Filburt and he said this is probably due to the coupling caps. :doghuh:

I'll let the pics do the talking:

I had the same problem with that DAC as well. It was bright and thin when Mikhail let me on loan for 3 weeks. The amp itself sounds pretty good but using internal dac doesn't produce a good result in my experience.

sure looks like it, you can see in one of asr's pictures where the name is (Xitel) and it seems like the part profile for the mini jack is on the end with the green wires.

Steve, could we get a straight down shot of the DAC board?

And john, he throws away the enclosure so it's probably only worth $40 then. :)

l actually told mikhail to omit the dac out of the sq. wave after i heard it a year ago. The dac in sq. wave was not even as good as the Corda Aria. OTOH, the balanced sq. wave was right there with the best of HR offerings. Of course, the beta22 is my current

favorite among SS amps.

If the DAC of this thing struggles to compete with the Aria DAC, I hope that he don't charge much money for this "upgrade" as the Aria DAC essentially was a bonus thrown in for free. Given the anemic and lifeless sound of that DAC, it certainly feels good knowing that I didn't pay extra for it back then. Atleast the sound was clean if that is much of a compliment...

- Mikhail -

he sent me some NOS tubes back in the day, half were bad and I mean really bad. :palm:

I know this is off the subject of the Squarewave, but I just did order two NOS tubes from Mikhail and one of them was missing the black locator base :palm::(. He is sending replacements, but I was pretty bummed after waiting like a month to get them