What If I Were Looking For a Complementary HP for The 750..?

Contrastique

Guest Peter Pinna
You just don't get it. You come in here spouting your shit with no real information content and nothing to back up what you say. If you are going to use someone to make a point you better know something about them. Otherwise I will just assume that by sound professional you meant some as in:

If the rest of your information is based upon the same slack acceptance of "facts" then you should thank Voltron for being as kind to you as he was. But maybe Grawk was right, perhaps you are not an asshat, just a pompous fucktard.

The person I quoted was listed on the Ultrasone website. I know nothing about him. I was merely quoting him because his opinion was very similar to mine and I thought that was a humorous coincidence. There's nothing more to it than just that. I didn't mean to imply that this person is the end all authority on the subject of headphones but his quote is in among others who are supposedly sound professionals.

Regardless of whether I'm right or wrong, I do not appreciate your overwhelmingly negative attitude. Be aware that from this point on I will not respond to negative comments of this type. If you don't like what I write, don't read my posts. End of story.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Peter Pinna
Peter, if you like the 750s, no one here has a problem with that. Contrastique likes the 750s, has said so at every turn, and no one has a problem with that and/or her. I think you'll find that many of us have tried the 750s and/or 2500s (I owned the latter and listened to the former at a couple meets) and other Ultrasones, and don't care for them when compared to other headphones we've owned and tried. Enjoy them as you do, but I'm just going to suggest you don't try lather up your praise of them here.

You have probably noticed that I stopped posting on Head-Fi for awhile. And, my most recent posts have not been specifically about the Pro 750. A couple of months ago, I stopped posting because I came to realize a perspective of which I was unfamiliar until it was explained to me in some detail by one of the older Head-Fi members. From that member's explanation I came to the awareness that my well intended defense of the Pro 750 was actually doing a disservice (and, one might even say "hurting") both Head-Fi as well as the Pro 750. For this reason, I have stopped writing defensive posts about the Pro 750 even though there have been continued false statements about the Pro 750.

No, I did not come on to this website for the purpose of either promoting or defending the Pro 750, as I have done in the past. The only "promotion" of the Pro 750 I will write would be in answer to a direct question asking me whether I like the Pro 750 or not. And, my answer to that specific question will be short and to the point. If the questioner wants to know why I like it, I will answer as briefly as possible, mostly referring the questioner to the idea of demoing the Pro 750's as well as other headphones for themselves.

The main reason, I came on this website, was because while doing a search on google regarding another topic, I came across a quote attributed to me that was written by one of the Head-Case members. That quote was in error as I never said what was written by the Head-Case member. My initial reason for joining this website was to correct that error.

Guest Peter Pinna
to me it sounds like you're asking me to delete your account. if that's the case, please confirm and i will do it as soon as possible.

Let me make sure that I understand this. Are you implying that you are one of the moderators of this website? If you are implying this, because of your extremely rude and unsolicited response to me in an earlier post where in you wrote "fuck you" for absolutely no justifiable reason, if, indeed, you are one of the controlling moderators of Head-Case.org, I want absolutely nothing more to do with this website which I believe will eventually fall into abysmal failure as a direct reflection of your immensely negative and lower than low-class attitude.

I generally do not associate myself with negative acting people and for that reason I will never return to this website. I'm not saying that every member of this website is a negative acting person. However, there is enough negativity on Head-Case (partly, in my opinion, because of your specific influence) to cause me to definitely stay away even if you are not one of the moderators. I definitely have more productive and enjoyable interests to pursue.

Let me make sure that I understand this. Are you implying that you are one of the moderators of this website? If you are implying this, because of your extremely rude and unsolicited response to me in an earlier post where in you wrote "fuck you" for absolutely no justifiable reason, if, indeed, you are one of the controlling moderators of Head-Case.org, I want absolutely nothing more to do with this website which I believe will eventually fall into abysmal failure as a direct reflection of your immensely negative and lower than low-class attitude.

I generally do not associate myself with negative acting people and for that reason I will never return to this website. I'm not saying that every member of this website is a negative acting person. However, there is enough negativity on Head-Case (partly, in my opinion, because of your specific influence) to cause me to definitely stay away even if you are not one of the moderators. I definitely have more productive and enjoyable interests to pursue.

Good, if you want to leave this website forever, don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Your kind of attitude will not be tolerated here. You're more than welcome to stay if you don't project that kind of attitude. But, if you start spouting all sorts of bullshit like you did on head-fi, you will be banned. And believe me when I say this - I don't have any problems with you because of what you think about Ultrasones. It's your attitude that I can't stand, and I'm not alone.

So, you've been warned.

The person quoted, Phil Selman, is hardly an expert IMO. He is a salesman for Sweetwater, as others have pointed out. No need to contact Sweetwater to ask about him (as Peter suggested), it is all on their web site. This is what they said about Mr. Selman on Nov 2, 2006:

Sales Engineer Phil Selman is a Madison, Wisconsin, native who recently graduated from the Madison Media Institute, where he also served as a student tutor. Most recently Phil worked at the Irving Young Auditorium at UW-Whitewater helping to produce live shows and audio/visual presentations.

If in Nov. '06 he is listed as a recent graduate, then clearly he cannot have years of recording industry experience. I would not consider him an authority by a long shot.

He and Peter like the Pro 750. That's all that we can say. For a closed can I like it too for pop (not much for classical). I own it and use it. Many folks at the NJ Meet tried mine and hated it.

I like most of my other (open) HPs much better. The OP asked for a closed, "complementary" phone to travel about with. I agree with those who answered ES7. I have it and take it to the gym, where a closed phone is needed and the Pro 750's won't do. Sound is different of course than the 750, and better in some respects IMO. I also need a closed phone to knock about in cirmcumstances where containment is key but isolation is not desired -- the D1001 fills that bill. The Denon may be too laid back for the OP, but for a cheap "I won't die if it is stolen" closed phone it is excellent.

The opinions just given are direct, first-hand observations by me. I own and use all the phones mentioned. I am new to HC and have been warned by the elders that HF-type BS will not be tolerated.

The person quoted, Phil Selman, is hardly an expert IMO. He is a salesman for Sweetwater, as others have pointed out. No need to contact Sweetwater to ask about him (as Peter suggested), it is all on their web site. This is what they said about Mr. Selman on Nov 2, 2006:

Sales Engineer Phil Selman is a Madison, Wisconsin, native who recently graduated from the Madison Media Institute, where he also served as a student tutor. Most recently Phil worked at the Irving Young Auditorium at UW-Whitewater helping to produce live shows and audio/visual presentations.

If in Nov. '06 he is listed as a recent graduate, then clearly he cannot have years of recording industry experience. I would not consider him an authority by a long shot.

He and Peter like the Pro 750. That's all that we can say. For a closed can I like it too for pop (not much for classical). I own it and use it. Many folks at the NJ Meet tried mine and hated it.

I like most of my other (open) HPs much better. The OP asked for a closed, "complementary" phone to travel about with. I agree with those who answered ES7. I have it and take it to the gym, where a closed phone is needed and the Pro 750's won't do. Sound is different of course than the 750, and better in some respects IMO. I also need a closed phone to knock about in cirmcumstances where containment is key but isolation is not desired -- the D1001 fills that bill. The Denon may be too laid back for the OP, but for a cheap "I won't die if it is stolen" closed phone it is excellent.

The opinions just given are direct, first-hand observations by me. I own and use all the phones mentioned. I am new to HC and have been warned by the elders that HF-type BS will not be tolerated.

Good post. :cool:

Guest Peter Pinna

Wavoman,

I wrote this in a previous post:

"The person I quoted was listed on the Ultrasone website. I know nothing about him. I was merely quoting him because his opinion was very similar to mine and I thought that was a humorous coincidence. There's nothing more to it than just that. I didn't mean to imply that this person is the end all authority on the subject of headphones but his quote is in among others who are supposedly sound professionals."

This part of the situation is a misunderstanding. My intention in posting the quote from this person was more from a humorous perspective because his quote was so similar to what I've been writing. I thought it was funny. I never meant to imply in any way that I know who he is or anything about his qualifications. It's amazing how easy it is to be misunderstood.

This reply to you, Wavoman, will be my last on Head-Case. I have been severely misjudged on this website by those with prejudices based on their misinterpretations of my intentions when I wrote about the Pro 750 on Head-Fi a couple of months ago. There were definitely mistakes which I made. However, I was also severely misquoted on a number of occasions and accused of negativities which had most definitely not been my intentions.

After only two days as a member of Head-Case, I find myself to be very uncomfortable "here" partly because of an uncontrolled tolerance on the part of the Head-Case "management" of vulgarities which I find offensive.

Actually, Wavoman, knowing your level of class and refinement, judging from our prior communications, I find it somewhat surprising that you would involve yourself in a situation where such vulgarities and other negative projections are so predominant as they are on this website. I don't wish to convey the impression that I am making unfair judgments, however, from what you've told me about yourself, I have some difficulty accepting the idea of you being a part of this situation.

The same is true for some others whom I have known from Head-Fi, even those with whom I have had disagreements. Differences of opinion are one thing but involving oneself in a situation where vulgar classlessness is tolerated by the "management" is an entirely different matter.

I wish you well.

This part of the situation is a misunderstanding. My intention in posting the quote from this person was more from a humorous perspective because his quote was so similar to what I've been writing. I thought it was funny. I never meant to imply in any way that I know who he is or anything about his qualifications. It's amazing how easy it is to be misunderstood.

This reply to you, Wavoman, will be my last on Head-Case. I have been severely misjudged on this website by those with prejudices based on their misinterpretations of my intentions when I wrote about the Pro 750 on Head-Fi a couple of months ago. There were definitely mistakes which I made. However, I was also severely misquoted on a number of occasions and accused of negativities which had most definitely not been my intentions.

You're never judged by your intentions. You're judged by your actions, or as the case may be, your posts. You may not have intended the "negativities" which you say you were accused of, but that's how your posts were read.

Fuck, I never even got to tell him he's a douche! I saw this last night briefly but did not have time to respond. Oh well, you guys did a fine job in my stead. Too bad we won't have PP's insightful commentary to broaden our knowledge base. Maybe we can get that sales engineer to join up to make up for this loss. :D

Did Peter ever answer the question of what other headphones he has experience with?

No, I don't think he ever did in any detail. I recall people asking him repeatedly and then him posting a non-exclusive list of a few shitty headphones but I don't think he really responded. He doesn't have much experience with quality headphones, and he never had any real basis for his massive defense of the Proline (Pro) 750. Did he ever disclose his alleged "audio profession"?

Fuck, I never even got to tell him he's a douche! I saw this last night briefly but did not have time to respond. Oh well, you guys did a fine job in my stead. Too bad we won't have PP's insightful commentary to broaden our knowledge base. Maybe we can get that sales engineer to join up to make up for this loss. :D

<snip>

Al, you're never going to be successful with all this negativity.